post Nov 24 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,996
Favorite Truck Camper(s): none
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: none
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: none

I am looking at a 1990 Ford F-350 DRW in decent shape with 33,000 actual miles on it. It was used to pull a camping trailer, offered by the original owner.

I can get it a decent price, and would, like, of course to put a truck camper on it.

Is a low-mileage, really old truck a good idea; particularly if I want to spend time in more remote areas?

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Rick
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Nov 25 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

If it is in good shape and has been taken care of, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I have a 99 and a 2000 and both have over 100000 on them and believe me , I get very remote when I go out camping. Just make sure you don't try to carry too much camper. And also make sure you have the tires to handle the terrain.
Gary

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
mgraveman
post Feb 3 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,043
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ?
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2006 GMC CC Dually
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: no camper yet

QUOTE(rcolman @ Nov 24 2008, 05:08 AM)
I am looking at a 1990 Ford F-350 DRW in decent shape with 33,000 actual miles on it. It was used to pull a camping trailer, offered by the original owner.

I can get it a decent price, and would, like, of course to put a truck camper on it.

Is a low-mileage, really old truck a good idea; particularly if I want to spend time in more remote areas?

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Rick

Those were good truck. I have owned a lot of those model trucks. I would guess however that it's a 460? RUN!! I owned a 1995 F250 with the 460 and no matter what I did never got above 8 mpg. I sold it and bought a 1994 F350 dually with the powerstroke and routinely get 15, sometimes close to 20 with it. If you are going to use it, you want the diesel. It's worth it.

FWIW, I paid 3100 for my truck a year ago. It had 190k on it, and has ben very reliable too.

On another note, I hate the interior of the 1987-1991 Fords.
+Quote Post
spacedoutbob
post Dec 9 2009, 03:26 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,563
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250 Supercab 2wd
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F-250 Supercab 7.5L:Air Bags, Happijac Tiedowns, with Lance 780 fully loaded

I have a 1989 F-250 Supercab with the 7.5L. This engine was never good on Fuel economy. It was designed to do one thing, that is Pull and Haul. Even though it gets only 8 mpg. I'm happy with it. It goes up hills without any hesitation. If I need to move in a hurry, It surprises people in cars with the acceleration, and that is with my Lance 780 mounted on it. A Diesel will give you much better fuel economy. The choice is yours. By the way, I drive 55 to 58 miles an hour when I'm driving my truck with the camper on it.
+Quote Post
Jeff Dodd
post Dec 18 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,495
Favorite Truck Camper(s): This is my first camper... Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '93 GMC 2500 w/ Firestone Riderite airbags
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/ turnbuckles and springloads
Truck and Camper Setup: 1986 Lance 8'6" Squire - Firestone airbags

In 2008 I purchased a 1993 GMC 2500 from a gentleman. The truck had 28,000 miles on it and was used for hauling a trailer or a boat. The owner, Lyle, was 93 years old when I purchased the tuck.

Here is the punch list I've completed so far:
Tune up. Never had been done prior.
Flush Tranny and add transmission cooler
Replace ORIGINAL tires (E load rated)
Replace brake pads and gear as the saltwater launches eat em up
Replace brake fluid
Added the camper tie-downs of course + had to wire for the camper.
Still need to replace power steering fluid

I've owned a camper for about 2 months and we traveled from Seattle to Napa Valley for Thanksgiving in this truck with our camper. Everything ran very smooth and we are 4 happy campers smile.gif Truck ran great dispite the endless passes from S. OR to N Cali...

enjoy the new truck.
Jeff

QUOTE(spacedoutbob @ Dec 9 2009, 01:26 AM)
I have a 1989 F-250 Supercab with the 7.5L. This engine was never good on Fuel economy. It was designed to do one thing, that is Pull and Haul. Even though it gets only 8 mpg. I'm happy with it. It goes up hills without any hesitation. If I need to move in a hurry, It surprises people in cars with the acceleration, and that is with my Lance 780 mounted on it. A Diesel will give you much better fuel economy. The choice is yours. By the way, I drive 55 to 58 miles an hour when I'm driving my truck with the camper on it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:50 PM