post Jul 17 2015, 04:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,355
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC 2500
Type of Tiedowns used: None as yet
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Host and bought for 8900.00

Hi, My local Truck dealer has told me never buy a truck camper because it can tip over because it's top heavy and is dangerous. I can see on a single axle truck but not on a dually truck. Have you ever heard of a camper tipping over?

Thanks, Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
Sidehillsoup
post Aug 29 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,729
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Transmission
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift Reciver Hitch, Torklift Tidowns and Torklift Super Truss Hitch extension.
Truck and Camper Setup: 2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath, ordered with U Shaped Dinette, No A/C, instead an extra Fantastic Fan, three MaxAir vent covers, propane / elec hot water tank, 1/4 inch propane quick-connect, with Torklift Reciver Hitch, Torklift Tidowns and Torklift Super Truss Hitch extension.

QUOTE(Bob55 @ Jul 17 2015, 02:13 AM)
Hi, My local Truck dealer has told me never buy a truck camper because it can tip over because it's top heavy and is dangerous. I can see on a single axle truck but not on a dually truck. Have you ever heard of a camper tipping over?

Thanks, Bob

Your truck dealer is a truck dealer and knows squat about every type of camper on the market.
My Northern Lite 8-11 has a very low centre of gravity because of its fibreglass construction. The three liquid tanks are in the floor and against the truck cab wall. Genatrator storage compartment is truck bed level, the batteries are just above that, and inline with the propane tanks which would be the top of the bed rail.
There is nothing besides a couple of cupboards and the fridge freezer that are above the roof of the truck.
Nothing top heavy here.

Soup

+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Aug 29 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

QUOTE(Sidehillsoup @ Aug 29 2017, 10:01 AM)
Your truck dealer is a truck dealer and knows squat about every type of camper on the market.
My Northern Lite 8-11 has a very low centre of gravity because of its fibreglass construction. The three liquid tanks are in the floor and against the truck cab wall.  Genatrator storage compartment is truck bed level, the batteries are just above that, and inline with the propane tanks which would be the top of the bed rail.
There is nothing besides a couple of cupboards and the fridge freezer that are above the roof of the truck.
Nothing top heavy here.

Soup

Soup you are pretty much spot on.

Certainly a TC raises the CoG, but as Soup said, the serious weight is under the floor in the liquid tanks.

Yes you can flip a TC over as you are driving...ITS NOT A CORVETTE FOLKS! It won't pull 1 G around a corner and remain upright, but your truck won't either.

Common sense, proper modifications to your truck to increase its safety envelope and handling should be in order [Rear sway bar oversize, improved shocks and slightly taller spring contacts on the rear springs]...for my truck this means: Hellwig Big Wig swaybar, Rancho 9000 XL adjustable shocks and StableLoad spring bumpers.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:47 PM