IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Another New Truck Camper Owner needing advise, Initial truck set up advice needed

trblmkr
post Feb 12 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,409
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 F350 DRW 4x4 FX4 Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 F350 and 2007 Lance 1191

Hello All

As of Friday I have officially entered the TC world by buying a 2007 Lance 1191 and really looking forward to this new to me way of camping. I have had very large 5th wheel toy hauler to small bumper pull toy haulers in the past, but this is my first TC.

I have a 2016 F350 DRW, FX4 4x4 pkg., CC, 14,000 lb. GVWR pkg., 5th wheel hitch prep pkg., high capacity trailer tow pkg., 4.30 gear and the wide track F450 front end. I will be towing a 7x14 enclosed trailer with three motorcycle and gear inside.

The previous owner of this TC had a 2009 Chev.3500 2wd that obviously stood higher and had stiffer suspension in the rear than my truck because his truck was still higher in the rear than the front with the weight of this TC completely loaded. He said that he did not have any aftermarket suspension equipment added and that he had traveled around like this for over two years without any handling problems at all. When I loaded this 1191 in my truck, my front end is higher than the rear now. I have never liked hauling or pulling anything when the front end was lighter and higher than the rear. The claimed dry weight from Lance is 3,905 lbs. and my understanding from Ford is that I have a Max cargo weight rating at 5,852 lbs. so I should be within my limits.

I have read that many claim air bags are not needed, but do improve the safety and ride while hauling a TC. I have also read that many claim that the Torklift stableload is all that is needed and some say that both are needed.

I truly want to be safe and have a great ride with this TC while towing a trailer as well as when the TC is off the truck. I would greatly appreciate your current/past experience and opinions on if air bags are needed, stableload is needed or any other suspension equipment is needed so that I can have a great and safe time with my 1191 TC.

Thank You for your advice and opinion,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Feb 15 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Congratulations on buying a truck that is suitable for use with a large camper. Resolving your issue's will be less costly than most. Sounds like to me, you bought a gasser rather than a diesel since your payload number is so high. There is basically three choices for your issue. Having a custom built rear spring pack would be best but would cost the most. Deaver Spring in Santa Ana, CA can do it. Air bags from Firestone or Hellwig will level the load for the least amount of money providing you don't buy compreesors, expect to spend for the basic set up 4-5 hundred installed. I chose not to use stable loads and I am not sure of all there benefits. Take a look at the Torque Lift web site and see what they say. Take a look at the trailer hitches that you will need while on the site.

I use a 2016 GMC like your truck. However, I did go diesel. I only needed airbags for a camper similar to yours. I also tow a bass boat. My truck is all stock and has much less HP and torque than the 2017's but it handles the load without effort. I am sure your Ford will do the same.

Take a look at Truck Camper Adventure's web site. Mike's site will answer dozens of questions that will eventually come up. Time on both sites will soon make you an expert on truck campers. Show us your rig, we all love pictures.
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Feb 16 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Pick up a rubber mat for your truck, they prevent camper from sliding around. Go on line and check out the Dee Zee brand. The one I bought cost around 75 bucks and weighed nearly 80 pounds.
+Quote Post
trblmkr
post Feb 17 2017, 07:53 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,409
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 F350 DRW 4x4 FX4 Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 F350 and 2007 Lance 1191

QUOTE(Freespool @ Feb 15 2017, 07:03 PM)
Congratulations on buying a truck that is suitable for use with a large camper.  Resolving your issue's will be less costly than most.  Sounds like to me, you bought a gasser rather than a diesel since your payload number is so high.  There is basically three choices for your issue.  Having a custom built rear spring pack would be best but would cost the most.  Deaver Spring in Santa Ana, CA can do it.  Air bags from Firestone or Hellwig will level the load for the least amount of money providing  you don't buy compreesors, expect to spend for the basic set up 4-5 hundred installed.  I chose not to use stable loads and I am not sure of all there benefits.  Take a look at the Torque Lift web site and see what they say.  Take a look at the trailer hitches that you will need while on the site. 

I use a 2016 GMC like your truck.  However, I did go diesel.  I only needed airbags for a camper similar to yours.  I also tow a bass boat.  My truck is all stock and has much less HP and torque than the 2017's but it handles the load without effort.  I am sure your Ford will do the same.
Take a look at Truck Camper Adventure's web site.  Mike's site will answer dozens of questions that will eventually come up.  Time on both sites will soon make you an expert on truck campers.  Show us your rig, we all love pictures.

Thank You for your reply and info.

My truck does have the 6.7 Diesel engine. The High-Capacity Trailer Tow Package from Ford is only available with the diesel engine and 4.30 rear axle. This package also includes the wide track front axle which increases the GCWR to 35,000 lbs. from 31,900 lbs.

Bed mat is on order now. Thank You
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Feb 17 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #5

I was unsure of motors since you said you had a 5852 rating. Check in clove compartment and in the drivers door jamb for the GVWR, 5852 seem's very optimistic. I don't drive Fords any longer so I really don't know, however my GMC is very similar and the rating is much less. I suppose the numbers are good as long as your truck weighs less than 8200 empty. I would recommend you weigh your truck and keep the print out. Remember that 14k limit is for everything, don't forget the tongue weight of that trailer.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:45 PM