IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> Truck Camper Weights, Anyone honor their weight ratings?

RV_Tech
post Feb 23 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

I have been researching the topic of truck camper weights versus payload ratings and have come to a simple conclusion. In my research it appears that the overwhelming majority of folks with truck campers are loaded way beyond the manufacturers weight ratings for their truck.

It also appears to me that truck camper manufacturers are disingenuous when they advise buyers to stay within the payload ratings for their truck, at least when it comes to hard shell campers. For example, my Ford F350 6.2 single rear wheel (camper package& plow package) has about 3,200 pounds left for a camper after fuel and my wife and I are onboard.

If I figure on 1,000 pounds for everything not included in the manufacturer's dry weight ratings, that means a hard shell of 2,200 pounds. So that means either going with a dually (which I really don't care for) or going with a pop-up (not out of the question, but I would rather not).

It just makes for an interesting situation!

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
JADE RACING
post Mar 2 2017, 09:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,895
Favorite Truck Camper(s): adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 07 gmc 3500 dually D/A
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift/fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 07GMC3500 dually diesel/auto airbags torklift tiedowns/fastguns 56 gal transferflow tank banks spd brake/tuner;06 adventurer 106DBS 2.5ownan geny awning topper torklift stairs remote bbq rear awning ext trl hitch/basket for sewer tote

To the original posting I'm close to my weight limit with my match up of t/c and truck. As a person whom has owned and repaired multiple rv's over my past, I have always been observant of weight of loaded unit and the rubber that is carrying it. Some posters seem to think that their opinion is gospel ,BUT owning and safely operating units, be it any motorized vehicle needs help from others that may have done it before, so lets give the strait info to a person whom asks for advice rather than B---%$#&* opinions. That is the problems of some forums, just my observations. Happy T/C ing.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Mar 2 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(JADE RACING @ Mar 2 2017, 10:14 AM)
To the original posting I'm close to my weight limit with my match up of t/c and truck. As a person whom has owned and repaired multiple rv's over my past, I have always been observant of weight of loaded unit and the rubber that is carrying it. Some posters seem to think that their opinion is gospel ,BUT owning and safely operating units, be it any motorized vehicle needs help from others that may have done it before, so lets give the strait info to a person whom asks for advice rather than B---%$#&* opinions. That is the problems of some forums, just my observations. Happy T/C ing.

I agree, which is why I will be under my ratings once loaded just as I have been with every RV I have ever owned. The topic is one that has always interested me because it generates so many opinions and often heated discussions.

Steve
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:58 PM