Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Generators?, Which Onan?

Lance951
post Jan 11 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 238

I was wondering how many of you have the onan generators in your campers, I was looking at the 2500 LP, It's says it will run the air with power to spare, but when I look at other generators like honda, they say you need 3000 watts. Can you guys give me any input on this?

Craig
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Feb 11 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

QUOTE(Lance951 @ Jan 10 2007, 11:22 PM)
I was wondering how many of you have the onan generators in your campers, I was looking at the 2500 LP, It's says it will run the air with power to spare, but when I look at other generators like honda, they say you need 3000 watts.  Can you guys give me any input on this?

Craig

I have a 97 Legend 990 with an LP powered 2500 watt Onan gen set. I run the crap out of it if I need to. I read were folks are very worried about propane usage versus gasoline. Personally I run both. For general dry camping battery charging and lighting the camp site up in the evening I run a Honda 2000i. For the bigger stuff, like Microwave and A.C.? I merely switch plugs and fire up the Onan. This combination has allowed me to rarely exceed one 7 gallon tank of propane during a weeks dry camping period. The cool thing about propane is the fact it is so clean burning. Easy on spark plugs, way cleaner oil.

As we use our camper for trips lasting mostly around four days we rarely if ever switch over to our second 7 gallon tank. To be more detailed this includes running the A.C. darn near 24/4 while camping out in the Mojave Desert.

I believe before people totally bash Lance for equipping their units with propane only gen units need to seriously consider how much time they actually plan to spend off the grid. But then I have been caught in 2 feet snow storms while my other bud's are dang near out of propane in their big fifth wheels. Why? Because their heaters gobble up so much propane trying to keep momma and the kids warm. A smaller area (My camper) to heat plus coupled with an 8200 btu heater saves on propane bigtime! Versus how big for the luxury sized units? Sorry if I am getting off track here. But fact is, same goes for running generators in the heat. Bigger means more whereas Campers, well insulted campers require less compressor time translating to less pull on your gen set only in a much smaller area.

I hoped this helped
+Quote Post
Captain Lancelot
post Aug 25 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,946
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 4x4 Diesel Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac w/extension links
Truck and Camper Setup: 1998 Lance 880 EC on 2006 Ford F350 SRW, no airbags

My Generac 3.4 propane-fueled generator on my 1998 Lance camper just gave up the ghost (at least it waited until after we got home). I'm thinking about replacing it with an Onan propane fueled generator after I pull the Generac out. I asked Lance what they would recommend and got no reply. Will I need to modify or replace anything in order to install and hook up an Onan?

Cole
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Sep 15 2008, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

QUOTE(Captain Lancelot @ Aug 25 2008, 03:08 PM)
My Generac 3.4 propane-fueled generator on my 1998 Lance camper just gave up the ghost (at least it waited until after we got home).  I'm thinking about replacing it with an Onan propane fueled generator after I pull the Generac out.  I asked Lance what they would recommend and got no reply. Will I need to modify or replace anything in order to install and hook up an Onan?

Cole

Sorry to hear about the Generac leaving you in such a way. I have a 97 Lance and my Onan has performed flawlessly. I merely use common sense when I fire her up. I rotate between Microwave and the refrigeration unit. I unlike my fellow city dwellers in the woods, think their at home and get carried away with turning on electric with no regard to the amount of pull or draw on the gen set. Most within my group believe more is better, not me.

I am NOT the one having to bring along an extra 55 gallon gas caddy just to keep Momma happy with her home away from home mini PG&E power plant. This in addition to the already installed 48 gallon tank UNDERNEATH the 34 foot toy hauler!

Regards modifying? Hell I would be more than happy with the 2500 Onan! Just plug her in and have at it! Just understand the unit has its limitations. Fuel efficiency for me has been outstanding! If you feel you need the 3000 because of the increase in amperage? Then go for it. Besure to check your refregeration amps at full throttle (LOL), To charge batteries only? Go with the Honda 1000 for even better fuel economy. Everyone of my bud's who opted for the solar has damaged or experienced failures of some-kind. Keep in mind, we are serious dry campers heading into forest service roads where the tree branches are rubbing the sides as well as the roof.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:07 PM