Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Truck Camper vs. Class C

Kathryn
post Jan 16 2011, 11:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,201
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Don't know yet!
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Have never owned a truck
Type of Tiedowns used: N/A
Truck and Camper Setup: I have been in the market for a Class C. I am now wondering if I might rather have a truck camper, which I never considered before. I can't find anything on-line that gives me an idea of the best and most reputable manufacturers, including the rv.org materials I have. I'd like to get some advice on this forum.

Hello,

I have been in the market for a Class C or similar, but recently became curious about the truck camper. I am wondering what people on this forum consider to be the benefits over a Class C, or why you would choose a truck camper over a Class B/C. Is the only difference that you have a separate truck that you can use when you are not using the camper (for example in the winter?) Or is there something else I'm not aware of.

Also, I can't find a good place on the internet to learn about the different manufacturers, models, amenities and reliability and reputation factors. Is there somewhere you can direct me?

Thanks in advance!
Kathryn
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave D.
post Jan 19 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,037
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Looking for Pop-up
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Silverado WT 1/2 ton
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Still shopping

Kathryn, reminds me of the time I pulled out a Class C that got stuck in the soft grassy blvd near my old house. I was out walking the dog and saw these guys loading patio stones into the RV. I knew they were not going to be able to drive out after observing their rear tires. (Always looked for an excuse to start up the old Unimog) If you are into camping in more remote places its hard to find a CLass C that is 4x4. Otherwise if you have no need for a truck and you have no City restrictions about parking an RV in you driveway, I would go for the Class C. They last for years with the low average mileage on the drivetrain. A three year old Class C with 15,000 miles on the OD will be more reliable then a three year old truck and camper, with 45,000 miles on the truck. A Small Class C will have as much room as the largest truck campler. Also be aware that it is still not common to have a diesel in a class C, though more and more Class A now come with diesels. You can get a Diesel Dually pickup and a nice camper and get 50% better mileage then a Gas engine Class C.

Dave
+Quote Post
jgorm
post Jan 21 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,217
Favorite Truck Camper(s): vacationeer!
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: c3500 dually
Type of Tiedowns used: regular?
Truck and Camper Setup: c3500 dually with large cabover

I just made the switch from a large TC to a small class C. My reasons were that it was a pain to take the camper on and off, and I really had no where to store it properly. If I had more land, then the TC is the way to go especially if you can use the truck. The class C is nice because it has WAY more room for nearly the same outer dimensions. I have a 24' bigfoot and its about 6" shorter than my old rig, but about 6" wider without the huge mirror. With the mirrors its about 2' wider than my truck with the extended mirrors. The MH sleeps 6 instead of 4, and you can use the bathroom while on the road without climbing thru the windows. My truck has about 1' longer wheelbase than the MH so the turning radius is better on the MH. I was also worried about towing my jeep with a 48" hitch extension without welding on 2 class 3 receivers on the outsides to box it in. My MH is the E450 so it can carry more weight, and it has the 7.3 PSD. On my first trip, the mileage was similar (9.8), but the driving conditions were bad with rain and idiot drivers. My truck and camper is WAY faster than the MH, probably due to the extra weight of the MH. My TC could do 75mph up a grade (grapevine) if I pushed it so I never really had to slow down much for hills. The MH, even with the diesel, will slow to 60mph or lower while floored, and it will hardly go 70mph on flat ground. One good thing about a TC is that I would go places that said no motor homes. I had tons of fun trips and the seats are more comfortable and the ride is more quiet and rattle free in the TC. If you don't need tons of room, and have a spot where you could store a TC, I thing a TC is a better option. This is my TC rig that is up for sale now:(
http://www.joegorm.com/for_sale.htm
user posted image
And my "new" MH (that also costs 3x what I'm looking to get for the TC truck combo)
+Quote Post
corsa180
post Jan 23 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,193
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Bigfoot
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Vanguard995/2002F2504x4crewcab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/xl's
Truck and Camper Setup: 2002 Vanguard TC995 (9.5) on Firestone air bags. Torklift tie downs on my 2002 F250 4x4 crewcab long bed.

I've had just about every kind of RV and I think it's personal to your needs . When our four boys were young, we needed a Class A. Now it's just the two of us and after using our 2002 Vanguard last summer on a round trip of 3K miles and how easy it was to park and get in and out of RV campground spaces . When we were in Carmel and able to easily park along with cars, it was awesome.
In addition, my TC is covered under my homeowners insurance . Insurance for a motorhome of any kind will add up over the years. It's easier to store and loading and unloading with electric jacks is not hard once you do it a couple of times.
The reality is, unless you're retired and plan on being on the road alot, RV's mostly sit there. My TC has no motor, transmission , brakes etc etc . So obviously , for our personal purposes, I'm sold on it. The physics of driving a truck with a TC are different but after a few miles, you'll catch on quickly.
Lastly and most important, your equiptment starting with your truck has to set up correctly and it's all about safety. I got between 10 and 12 miles per gallon on my 2002 F250 7.3 diesel. We went over all kinds of mountains and through Yosemite,

Can't wait for our trip east this summer. Good luck to you. Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Jan 28 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #5

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

I myself have been doing extensive research in the future upgrading of our Lance TC. As it is a 1996 modal we are looking for more room, hence researching everything from trailers to fifth wheels, class C's, class A's possibly even came acrossed an old caboose for sell!!! rolleyes.gif

I intend on writing a new thread detailing my findings in addition to my coming to the decision I made.

In my research, I discovered this individuals website that may or may not help you in your quest. I think I did so much investigating it became overkill! Ha! tongue.gif

When you visit this site, make sure to scroll all the way down for his link T.C. versus Class C, you'll find bunch of factual as well as detailed information. By my read anyway, brought me back to the what and why I love and appreciate my TC as much as I honestly do...

http://www.webejeepin.com/Camper/Camper.htm

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/glenn-b...be-jeepin'/
Happy Camping!

<<<*>>>
+Quote Post
1STGENFARMBOY
post Feb 3 2011, 01:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,889
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1993 Dodge W250 4x4 cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 1993 dodge cummins, an extreame amount of mods, 2003 lance 1071 loaded

Corsa180 said everything i would have said to the T, if it's just two of you and your on a budget and have or need a truck anyway then it's a no brainer.

But if you have a family and money is no object, " for fuel and upkeep" then a motorhome is nice.

I also have had all kinds, tent, TC, TT, MH, now back to a TC because i feel like i can make an educated decision, but thats just me and what fits out life best.

Darwin

--------------------
1993 Dodge W250 4x4 cummins, lots of performance mods, overloads, 2003 lance 1071/ slide out,
+Quote Post
drc5900
post Feb 14 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,241
Favorite Truck Camper(s): The one I have of course: Jayco!
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9L 12v Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually Extended Cab, Billeted Goerend AT Tranny w/triple disk TC & manual lockup.
Type of Tiedowns used: The ones it came with: homemade.
Truck and Camper Setup: Truck as above. Camper: 1993 Jayco Jay Hunter 950 fully equiped, approx. 3000Lbs loaded. Homemade tiedowns. 5000Lbs Mopar receiver hitch. Homemade 3' extended hitch. Homemade Jackadapters for dually: 1/4"SS 6"x6"x6" square tube. "Donut" between reartruck- and camper slider window. No Airbags: the camper nicely smoothed out the hard suspension :-) . Hott-Rod electric heater added to propane waterheater.

It really depends on your needs and wants. What's nice about MH is the passthru between cab and living quarters. If you think you might need 4WD, go remote places, then a 4x4 truck/TC might be the ticket for you. My TC is on my truck 80% of the time, I get between 13MPG and 14MPG with TC depending on speed and usage, without camper 17+ MPG overall. Since June 2009 I've lived in my TC for about 50% of the time and I LOVE it, and because I have a 4x4 truck, I go see places and camp where a MH would NEVER be able to go. Gasser or Diesel: I'd never want anything else but a Diesel, but if you wouldn't drive many miles (lessay max 10K Mls p/year), the economics of that will be pretty much a washout.
I hope this helps, good luck making your choice and whatever you end up with: Happy & Safe Camping to ya!
+Quote Post
drc5900
post Feb 14 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,241
Favorite Truck Camper(s): The one I have of course: Jayco!
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9L 12v Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually Extended Cab, Billeted Goerend AT Tranny w/triple disk TC & manual lockup.
Type of Tiedowns used: The ones it came with: homemade.
Truck and Camper Setup: Truck as above. Camper: 1993 Jayco Jay Hunter 950 fully equiped, approx. 3000Lbs loaded. Homemade tiedowns. 5000Lbs Mopar receiver hitch. Homemade 3' extended hitch. Homemade Jackadapters for dually: 1/4"SS 6"x6"x6" square tube. "Donut" between reartruck- and camper slider window. No Airbags: the camper nicely smoothed out the hard suspension :-) . Hott-Rod electric heater added to propane waterheater.

P.S.: another good RVforum website is www.rv.net , browse thru that, start a thread or two, that website is for any kind of RV, it's a tad more lively than this (otherwise good) forum, and I would expect you'll get some interesting discussions going there.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 11:09 AM