Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,387
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1995 Ford F-350XLT Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350XLT:Airbags, Happijac Tiedowns, 1997 Lance 880

Just a quick question on my fridge.
I was re-wiring the 7-pin plug on my truck and saw that the power supply wires are 10 or 12 gauge. I got to thinking about the fridge on my camper.
My 1997 Lance 880 came with a Dometic 3-way Refrigerator. Gas, AC, and DC. It'll run off of the truck as well. I know that the power comes through the 7-pin trailer light plug on my truck. The harness coming off of my camper has 8 gauge wires for truck power I was wondering if my truck needs 8 gauge wire as well.
I want to get things right while I have everything torn apart.
Do I need 8 gauge wire for the power supply on my truck or will the 10 or 12 gauge wire be enough?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
towpro
post Feb 17 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,281
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 15 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 Arctic Fox 990

QUOTE(Dorado @ Feb 12 2017, 05:18 PM)
Just a quick question on my fridge.
I was re-wiring the 7-pin plug on my truck and saw that the power supply wires are 10 or 12 gauge. I got to thinking about the fridge on my camper.
My 1997 Lance 880 came with a Dometic 3-way Refrigerator. Gas, AC, and DC. It'll run off of the truck as well. I know that the power comes through the 7-pin trailer light plug on my truck. The harness coming off of my camper has 8 gauge wires for truck power I was wondering if my truck needs 8 gauge wire as well.
I want to get things right while I have everything torn apart.
Do I need 8 gauge wire for the power supply on my truck or will the 10 or 12 gauge wire be enough?

I think I read that to run those refrigerators on 12v, its requires around 10a.

a wire size calculator found on internet just showed me that for a 12V 10A load, you need 9agw for a 5% lose in 25'.
figure 6' to come out engine compartment back to under back of cab, than 8' length down bed, than 10' wip to come back to camper = 25'.

I know my factory wires on my Ram might do 4-6 amps depending on how much charge battery has.
I would rather put some charge back in camper batteries from truck than run 12v refrigerator.

I run my refrigerator on propane while underway. Many of us do. But I am not looking to start an argument on the perceived safety issues of running refrigerator on propane while moving.

But this argument does not hold if your using one of those new 12V/120V compressor refrigerators.
l
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 17 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Cool it down on shore power (110V) before you leave home, load it with pre cooled and frozen food and turn it off while on the road (if you are adverse to running propane while underway (I'm not), however, under federal highway law, if you pass through any tunnel, the propane must be shut off. I don't do tunnels so no worry with me.

Keep in mind that unless it's a compressor fridge, you cannot load it with room temperature food and expect to cool the food down, won't happen. Just shore power it at home,for a day or so and load it with cold food and run it on propane or shut it off until you get to your camp and start it up (on propane or 110V or 12 volts (whatever you prefer.

A cold fridge with cold / frozen food will retain the temperature for many hours so long as you keep the door closed.
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 18 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #4

Oh I was fully planning on cooling it down before hand and that I'd put in cold food. But I know that some places don't want you running propane while driving. And there's no point in using up the gas when the truck is already running. I'd rather save the propane, and utilize the truck.
Still. I want to have everything hooked up properly. I'm going to try to wire it up today. Depends if I can fix my brother's car or not. As well as finish my brother's project on my daily driver truck. He decided to surprise me by taking the fender flares off and painting them. He didn't finish....as usual.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 18 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

The only place you cannot run propane (as I said in the previous post to yours) is in a tunnel. That is Federal DOT regs.

been doing this since 1995 and I always run propane. The boiler on a fridge uses very little propane, very little. The flame is about 2 times as big as a BIC lighter.
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 18 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #6

Oh I know. I just want everything working the way it's supposed to. Besides I'd still like to be able to charge the battery and things off of the truck while driving. Biggest problem I'm running into right now is that I'm wanting to run it through the fuse box on the truck but I can't find the little metal things the spade fuses plug into. I'll probably end up running an in-line fuse to it, but I'd rather hook it into the fuse box for a cleaner install. I am that picky.
+Quote Post
towpro
post Feb 18 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Dorado @ Feb 18 2017, 12:39 PM)
And there's no point in using up the gas when the truck is already running. I'd rather save the propane, and utilize the truck.

my last truck camper, wolf Creek with 5 cu feet refreg would run on gas all summer, with solar providing the only power.

Last spring I started with 2 full grill size tanks April 1st.
I always watch the change over regulator for it to turn red to tell me its time to fill that tank.
But in July were were leaving for a vacation. I noticed the food was around 70 deg. the change over regulator had switched over, but never turned red so I never caught it, than it ran 2nd bottle empty.

So I went April 1st through July 15th running refreg on propane and used it all up.
I been getting grill tanks filled for $6.00 each out my way, so $12 bucks for 3.5 months is not bad.

PS: i also have a 5th wheel that sits on a spot in a 4 site campground my brother and I own. the electric usage (not including service fees and taxes) in Non AC weather runs around $20.00 per month. this is running the charger and refregerator on 120V. Maybe some electric hot water for 2 weekends every month.

It may be cheaper to run refrigerator on propane than it is electric
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 19 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #8

Dang towpro. That little? I'm still going to hook it up to truck electric, but I'll keep it on auto so that it'll switch between the two. Good to know that the fridge only politely sips propane.
+Quote Post
towpro
post Feb 19 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Dorado @ Feb 19 2017, 10:33 AM)
Dang towpro. That little? I'm still going to hook it up to truck electric, but I'll keep it on auto so that it'll switch between the two. Good to know that the fridge only politely sips propane.

when its running, look in the burner and you will see its not a very big flame. not much power needed.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 20 2017, 10:11 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Dorado @ Feb 19 2017, 10:33 AM)

If you had bothered to read my post number 6, you would have saw that... The flame in a fridge boiler is about twice as big as a BIC lighter or not much. unsure.gif
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 21 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Feb 20 2017, 09:11 AM)
If you had bothered to read my post number 6, you would have saw that...  The flame  in a fridge boiler is about twice as big as a BIC lighter or not much. unsure.gif

I read it. But there's hearing how big a flame is, then there's hearing how long the fuel lasted.
+Quote Post
Backroad Joe
post Feb 24 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,425
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2011 Palomino Bronco B800
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QuadCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijacs in front, plain 'ol hardware store turnbuckles in rear
Truck and Camper Setup: A perfect combination for boondocking, overlanding or towing my jeep.

Dorado, as I read your original post you are asking about wire gauge. I would agree with Towpro's example calculation and that would also match your existing 8 AWG. That should handle your needs regardless of propane preferences.

There are some that believe you need huge 4 gauge cable but I don't follow that school of thought. If you're pumping more than 10 amps into your camper battery your doing something wrong.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Feb 24 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

The fuse size to the charge lead off your truck is the amp limiting factor from the truck to the camper. Remember if you are running a three-way fridge on DC (battery power) that power source is designed only to maintain temperature and is very limited in terms of its cool down ability (per Dometic technician training workshops). Refrigerators, regardless of selected power source draw very little. They cool down the fastest on propane. smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post
hooter56
post Feb 26 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,373
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC 3500HD 4WD
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance 950S

I've never tried running the fridge on 12V. It would probably quickly drain the battery?
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Feb 27 2017, 08:34 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(hooter56 @ Feb 26 2017, 08:50 PM)
I was told recently by the guy giving me the orientation to my camper to not use 12V DC for the fridge. He said it could burn up the compressor?

On a three-way fridge there is no compressor. It is an absorption system.

On the models with the 12-volt compressor, they are designed to use 12-volts. If he was talking about the compressor "amping up" when voltage is low, all motors do that whether on 12 VDC or 120 VAC though there is normally protection for the compressor built-in for such an event so they shut down if they get too hot.

+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 27 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #16

Never knew they made a 12 volt compressor fridge. I knew they made 110 volts ones and rant them on inverters but 12 volt, didn't know that. I'll take the old absorbtion fridge any day. With good air flow across the evaporator it's just as efficient as a compressor fridge and cheap to run too.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:08 PM