IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Looking at 1999 palomino for Tacoma. questions!!!, Lots of questions about the fit etc

Krs1
post Jul 21 2016, 11:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,077
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Fwc
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: No camper
Type of Tiedowns used: No tie downs
Truck and Camper Setup: I have a built Tacoma no camper

Ok everyone I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area. Back story, my aunt and uncle are the owners of a 1999 pop up polamino and are going to purchasing a new camper. They offered me the old one for 700 bucks and everything works. Furnace 3 way fridge, no leaks etc. I would be hauling it with a 4.0 v6 taco emoji fully built with suspension all pro leaf springs and timbren bumps. Pics and everything including specs are write. Down on there beautiful drawings. My questions are is this camper even comparable with my truck? Is 700 a decent price? What are my concerns/ look for? How would this attach to my truck? Also any other info I need to consider. I have a 6' bed. If there's anything I left out please ask!!!! I tried to post pics may be under review its a 1999 b-600
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Krs1
post Jul 22 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(Krs1 @ Jul 21 2016, 08:55 PM)
Ok everyone I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area. Back story, my aunt and uncle are the owners of a 1999 pop up polamino and are going to purchasing a new camper. They offered me the old one for 700 bucks and everything works. Furnace 3 way fridge, no leaks etc. I would be hauling it with a 4.0 v6 taco emoji fully built with suspension all pro leaf springs and timbren bumps. Pics and everything including specs are write. Down on there beautiful drawings. My questions are is this camper even comparable with my truck? Is 700 a decent price? What are my concerns/ look for? How would this attach to my truck? Also any other info I need to consider. I have a 6' bed. If there's anything I left out please ask!!!! I tried to post pics may be under review its a 1999 b-600

Anyone?
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Jul 22 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

I'll go out on a limb & say I personally wouldn't do it. First of all I'm not familiar with all the extra stuff you say your Taco is equipped with, but I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr, 4X4, with 4.0L V-6. It's equipped with a 'hi-rise' Leer fiberglass shell on the 6.5' bed. With it I tow a 17' 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe molded fiberglass trailer which probably weighs in the neighborhood of 3K#, loaded for travel. Tongue weight is 350-400# & with electric brakes my truck handles it well. I added air bags to the rear axle & only use approx 5-10# of pressure to handle the tongue weight & miscellaneous items carried in the shell (shell weighs approx 225# I was told by the dealer).

Not even sure the palomino would fit between the wheel wells of your truck. Unless you have an 8' bed you'd hafta leave the tailgate down to accommodate the camper (if it fit), unless it is one of the models specifically mfg'd for the compact trucks (I wasn't aware that those were even mfg'd in 1999??). There are late model pop-up campers (& I think a few hardwall) specifically mfg'd for smaller trucks but I'm not familiar with them. If the Palomino is one of those, & your truck is 'beefed' up to carry it, maybe it'd work.

I also own a '99 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Supercab truck with 7.3 power stroke diesel. With it I haul a 2003 Sun-Lite, 8.5 pop-up truck camper with toilet. Dry weight of my camper is aprox 1555#, not counting the roof AC which probably adds another 90-100# before the fresh water tank is filled. My truck has 8800# GVWR & doesn't really know the camper is there, performance wise.

The Taco is capable of handling some tough duty if properly equipped, but if the Palomino is a 'full-size' pop-up camper, again I'd hesitate to use it for that kind of rig... JMO wink.gif
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Jul 22 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

Price sounds very reasonable, cant say about the truck.

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
Krs1
post Jul 23 2016, 02:45 AM
Post #5

Well my truck has allpro expidition leaf springs which offer 3" of lift and will sag 1" per 500 lbs these springs are designed for hauling heavier loads for on and offroad use. It's a progressive 11 leaf pack.the bump stops are just safety net and smoother ride if you bottom out. I hope this cleared up the suspension concerns. The camper itself is designed to fit mid size trucks and will fit within the wheel wells. It would have to sit on a home made platform and would stick past the end of the bed roughly a foot (6' bed). I was hoping to seek advice on how to mount to these trucks etc and if it sticks out that far is it an issue? I don't think the weight is an issue it's more fitting the truck. Any inside would be great thanks for the responses
+Quote Post
Krs1
post Jul 23 2016, 02:47 AM
Post #6

Oh BTW how do you post pics I have some of the set up my uncle is using and the camper itself
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:21 AM