post Jul 8 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,159
Favorite Truck Camper(s): n/a
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC 1500
Type of Tiedowns used: n/a
Truck and Camper Setup: n/a

so, our small family is moving up from our 1973 vw camper to a truck camper.
here are the considerations/needs:
2 adults, 1 toddler
GMC 1500, 6 foot box
camper must be lightweight, as lightweight as possible
needs a furnace, toilet not necessary
thought about the pop up campers (four wheel, palomino etc), but we live in the Yukon, beside alaska and like to camp in the colder weather so, i don't think the canvas on those will provide enough warmth and may crack.
we are simple campers and don't need much, its just a VW van (without heater) isn't conducive to camping in overnight while skiing out in the mountains during the day.

other issue is where we live. no selection up here of new campers that are lightweight.
we are willing to drive to edmonton, southern BC or alaska to purchase.
PLEASE, all advice appreciated!!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tom
post Jul 8 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,385
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ulta lite 1200lbs to me is not lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f150 ford
Type of Tiedowns used: home built to frame
Truck and Camper Setup: looked for something really lite, nothing on the market. Wanted something less than half of the rated weight load for a 1/2 ton truck.Like to be realistic about weight capacities. Built a totally aluminum unit. 8 ft. box, 80 in. wide, 80 in. high. With door, windows and AC and jacks I can still left one end by hand and I'm over 60. I'm guessing at this point unit must be around 200 lbs.

QUOTE(pixiedust99 @ Jul 8 2012, 05:48 PM)
so, our small family is moving up from our 1973 vw camper to a truck camper.
here are the considerations/needs:
2 adults, 1 toddler
GMC 1500, 6 foot box
camper must be lightweight, as lightweight as possible
needs a furnace, toilet not necessary
thought about the pop up campers (four wheel, palomino etc), but we live in the Yukon, beside alaska and like to camp in the colder weather so, i don't think the canvas on those will provide enough warmth and may crack.
we are simple campers and don't need much, its just a VW van (without heater) isn't conducive to camping in overnight while skiing out in the mountains during the day.

other issue is where we live. no selection up here of new campers that are lightweight.
we are willing to drive to edmonton, southern BC or alaska to purchase.
PLEASE, all advice appreciated!!!!!

You might check out Capri truck campers. Their basic TC's are reasonably priced and some what lighter than most. They have just the shell, or all the goodies or anything in between. But in my experience the units are always heavier than advertised. I rebuilt an 8 ft. Capri and loaded I'm at 800 lbs. There is also a brand called Camplites. I looked for a long time to find a TC that could be safely carried on a 1/2 ton with out $$$$ of suspension up grades. The industry seems to think that 1100 or 1200 lbs. is lite. I my thinking 1100 lbs. on a 1/2 ton is not lite. Hope this helps. Good Camping. Tom
+Quote Post
pixiedust99
post Jul 8 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,159
Favorite Truck Camper(s): n/a
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC 1500
Type of Tiedowns used: n/a
Truck and Camper Setup: n/a

thanks for that Tom.
i haven't heard of those, will check them out for sure, exactly the type of advice i was looking for.
i agree....anyone i talk to seems to want to max out the payload of your truck or beyond, it's crazy!!!

any more advice is appreciated!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:35 AM