post Mar 18 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,803
Favorite Truck Camper(s): None
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: None
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Looking

This may be a silly question but in looking at most of the floor plans for many different brands and models most with slides do not seem to allow access or use unless the slide(s) are out. I did see one that said you could access the camper with the rear slide in but from the video it looked like you would have to be anorexic to get by. Are there any models that allow easy access in and the use of the camper with the slides in ? Or is it more of a compromise, Have the extra space a slide gives but be prepared to always have to use it........

Thanks
Bill
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MiCasaLay
post Mar 20 2016, 08:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,553
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Depends...
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2012 Ford F-550 Lariat DRW 4X4 Crew Cab; 1989 Dodge Dakota Sport Convertible
Truck and Camper Setup: F-550 with camper body; Eagle Cap 1165 camper.

Do you refer to the Adventurer 116DS, which does allow entry with the slides in?
Maybe not for everyone, I have never seen that model in person so I don't know if I could pass through.
I have an Eagle Cap 1165, which does not allow entry. The rear slide completely blocks the door, and the dinette slide blocks access to the bedroom (the bathroom door can't open either). The kitchen slide is not an issue unless you want to cook or need something stored on that side.
This can be an impediment to "stealth" camping when you are stopped for the night somewhere that you would rather not advertise your occupancy.
I am even considering a second set of switches in the bedroom to pull the slides in after I'm in bed. The wires to the switches at the controller module are spade terminated, and it seems to me that a simple "T" connector would work.
I am mindful of the fire exit risk, so I would have one of those roll-up escape ladders stored under the emergency exit window and I already keep a fire extinguisher in the bedroom.
+Quote Post
bwalton
post Mar 22 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,803
Favorite Truck Camper(s): None
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Looking

QUOTE(MiCasaLay @ Mar 20 2016, 08:57 AM)
Do you refer to the Adventurer 116DS, which does allow entry with the slides in?
Maybe not for everyone, I have never seen that model in person so I don't know if I could pass through.
I have an Eagle Cap 1165, which does not allow entry. The rear slide completely blocks the door, and the dinette slide blocks access to the bedroom (the bathroom door can't open either). The kitchen slide is not an issue unless you want to cook or need something stored on that side.
This can be an impediment to "stealth" camping when you are stopped for the night somewhere that you would rather not advertise your occupancy.
I am even considering a second set of switches in the bedroom to pull the slides in after I'm in bed. The wires to the switches at the controller module are spade terminated, and it seems to me that a simple "T" connector would work.
I am mindful of the fire exit risk, so I would have one of those roll-up escape ladders stored under the emergency exit window and I already keep a fire extinguisher in the bedroom.

Yes I think that is the one, from the video it looks like maybe 8 inches to get past the rear slide, you can sort of bend your way in because on the right is the sofa which only comes up a couple of feet. There also seems to be about 8 inches maybe 12 to get by the driver side slide to access the bathroom and the cabover. Possible but would be a stretch or crunch (no pun intended) for some.

I know no one ever wants to highlight the negative, especially if your selling or building them but I would think knowing you can't access the camper with the slides in would be a pretty important piece of information to have displayed or listed.......

So far the Adventurer 116DS is the only one I have see that allows any kind of access with the slides in.

At this point I am still on the fence between a class c and a truck camper, there are a lot of pros and cons for both....

Thanks for your input its appreciated
All the Best
Bill
+Quote Post
bobtheblacksmith
post Apr 16 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,877
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance 1191
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: chevy 3500 dually crew
Type of Tiedowns used: fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: airbags,loadlevelers, superhitch with 4 ft extension

QUOTE(bwalton @ Mar 18 2016, 04:16 PM)
This may be a silly question but in looking at most of the floor plans for many different brands and models most with slides do not seem to allow access or use unless the slide(s) are out.  I did see one that said you could access the camper with the rear slide in but from the video it looked like you would have to be anorexic to get by.  Are there any models that allow easy access in and the use of the camper with the slides in ? Or is it more of a compromise, Have the extra space a slide gives but be prepared to always have to use it........

Thanks
Bill

i have a Lance 1191 side entry and everything is accessible with slide in.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:25 PM