jashyd
post Jan 14 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,931
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2004 dodge duelly diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: ect
Truck and Camper Setup: new member looking to changing from 5th.wheel to truck camper.

Hello, I am a new member here. I am changing from a 5th. wheel camper to a truck camper . I have a 2004 dodge 1 ton dually diesel long bed. My problem is I don't know what size camper will be right for our needs. we may have as many as 4 adults some times but mostly just 2 or 3 . I do want a dry bath ,A/c furnace ,most all common items . I am wanting a used one . I was told that a Lance is the best but that to me is hear say . We camp 2 to 3 weeks a year and some weekends . I need advice from all you good folks . Thank You.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
SidecarFlip
post Jan 16 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Lance is using wood framing now and Lance has been bought out by REV Industries. Palomino isn't one of the 'higher end' campers and it's reflected in the price, however, the components in the Lance and Palomino are the same.

I'd rather pay 25 for a unit than 40 for the same thing and just be proactive in maintenance. Having owned and sold a Lance in the past and having both the Lance and the Palomino sitting side by side in the yard, I had the opportunity to compare them.

If I was to buy another unit, I'd buy a Bigfoot or Northstar over the Lance in a minute.

Opinions are opinions and nothing more however and there are a bunch of manufacturers out there. Having said that, Lance is far from the 'holy grail of TC's. There are better built units out there, both more expensive and less expensive.

If Lance was an ultimate TC, no one else would be in business selling TC's. That however is far from the truth.

It all distills down to what you want, your financial assets and your end use.

One issue that had always bothered me about Lance Campers is their constant lying about unit weight. The sticker weight on any Lance is total fantasy. Lance campers typically weigh in the excess of 500 pounds above the sticker weight. Bad business for the end user.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:01 AM