jashyd
post Jan 14 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,931
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2004 dodge duelly diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: ect
Truck and Camper Setup: new member looking to changing from 5th.wheel to truck camper.

Hello, I am a new member here. I am changing from a 5th. wheel camper to a truck camper . I have a 2004 dodge 1 ton dually diesel long bed. My problem is I don't know what size camper will be right for our needs. we may have as many as 4 adults some times but mostly just 2 or 3 . I do want a dry bath ,A/c furnace ,most all common items . I am wanting a used one . I was told that a Lance is the best but that to me is hear say . We camp 2 to 3 weeks a year and some weekends . I need advice from all you good folks . Thank You.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
mbrink
post Jan 14 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,913
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Artic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram 3500 CC, short bed, diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Fast Gun
Truck and Camper Setup: 2018 Dodge, 2011 811 Artic Fox, Torklift tie downs and hitch

With that truck you have a lot of options. I had a 2001 Lance 820 for 15 years, and now have an Artic Fox 811. Both a short bed campers. Campers get tight for 4 people, both on sleeping and moving around; especially with 4 adults. We had 4 of us in the Lance (2 kids, 2 adults), and a dog. Worked OK. Now just the two of us in the 811.

The Artic Fox has a slide out, which makes the living space so much more spacious. But the slide out comes at expense of cost, weight and complexity. If need to sleep 3 to 4 adults, look for as long as a dinette as you can as that is the second bed.

+Quote Post
jashyd
post Jan 15 2018, 06:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,931
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2004 dodge duelly diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: ect
Truck and Camper Setup: new member looking to changing from 5th.wheel to truck camper.

QUOTE(mbrink @ Jan 14 2018, 02:10 PM)
With that truck you have a lot of options.  I had a 2001 Lance 820 for 15 years, and now have an Artic Fox 811. Both a short bed campers.  Campers get tight for 4 people, both on sleeping and moving around; especially with 4 adults.  We had 4 of us in the Lance (2 kids, 2 adults), and a dog.  Worked OK.  Now just the two of us in the 811.     

The Artic Fox has a slide out, which makes the living space so much more spacious.  But the slide out comes at expense of cost, weight and complexity.  If need to sleep 3 to 4 adults, look for as long as a dinette as you can as that is the second bed.

Thanks, with the slide out what kind of complexity is there , won't it slide out while on truck ? also I don't want any type of popup .
+Quote Post
mbrink
post Jan 15 2018, 10:16 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,913
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Artic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram 3500 CC, short bed, diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Fast Gun
Truck and Camper Setup: 2018 Dodge, 2011 811 Artic Fox, Torklift tie downs and hitch

I have never had a trailer, but assume a camper slide out is essentially the same. You rely on motors, gears and tracks to extend and retract the slide out. Yes, you can slide it while on the truck. In fact you essentially have to in order to enter the camper. I can barely squeak by when the slide is in. Trick is to remember to slide it back in after that quick rest stop.

There is a manual crank backup system, but still complex. Since most trailers and 5thers have slides, I think it is safe to say manufacturers have it figured out. For a camper I think the issue is weight (and cost go up). With your 1 ton dually you should have the payload needed.

Pop ups seem like a great idea for a rig that goes offroad a lot. I took my Lance places people said I could not go. The Artic Fox is considerably heavier and taller, so really can't take it down a trail.

I see the biggest issue with pop ups is the small door. Every option has its pros and cons, just like a 5th vs TC.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 01:42 PM