IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[ Outline ] · Standard · Linear+

> Are 4x4's worth the extra weight and cost, Buying a new truck.

bacach
post Nov 5 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,843
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: not yet
Type of Tiedowns used: not yet
Truck and Camper Setup: No set up yet

I am buying a new truck and Northstar pop up camper, and wondering if people really use their 4x4 option? I would like to do some off road boon docking but not sure if I really need the 4 wheel drive, it would be nice but added weight and cost.

Thanks, Brad
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Replies
shock
post Nov 4 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,423
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino (that's what I'm looking to buy)
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2015 Chevrolet 2500 DMax Crew Cab Standard Bed
Type of Tiedowns used: Palamino Bronco 1251 (sold)
Truck and Camper Setup: Going back to a Suburban, and probably a pop-up tent camper.

I'm glad I opted for it because if my bed is empty my truck will not move on anything slick. I sometimes have to use it in the rain to confidently get up an incline if I'm pulling into traffic. The driveway at my last house was barely inclined (visibly flat) and sometimes my rear tires would just spin if there was frost.

My truck does have a limited slip differential. It also has AT tires which aren't the best for some slick conditions.

Previously I had a 2wd gas Suburban with limited slip and highway tires. It never even flinched in snow. I suppose the glass/seats/doors/etc. kept some weight on the rear tires.

I guess I'm saying there could be more to consider than just climbing rocks.
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Nov 4 2015, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

I have owned 4x4 cars and truck all my life, countless times it got me home, work, etc while others were sitting still.

Traveled across the us thru Co, Ks, Tenn, WVa to Va in the winter storm of '85 I was one of the few driving on Interstate(s), weaving my way in, out and around cars, trucks, 18 wheelers...Police blocked me many times, I just said I have 4x4, limited slip diffs, Off road Goodyear tires and left Seattle 'x' days ago. I arrived on time in Ft Monroe Va my new military assignment.

Don't leave home without it...
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 02:49 AM