Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Roof racks
Truck Camper Forum > General > Support Equipment
Haus
Looking for Ideas to mount a canoe & kayak rack on my truck camper.
I have a 2002 sunvalley hardshell camper with a rubber roof.

Thanks
Jeff Dodd
Not exactly what you're asking for, but... Have you considered the foam cradles that are designed to sit on a vehicle roof? No drilling required!

I've used these cradles on vehicles and I simply tie the kayak off bow and stern to the respective bumper tiedown point.

I also secure the boat w/ two lines forward and aft of the kayak cockpit. This would be a bit harder to do with a canoe. One of these could run to the camper tiedowns. The forward line, not sure where you'd tie that off to...

You'll need a long rope from the bow of the kayak to below the grill on the truck, but it should work fine.

Good luck and enjoy
Jeff
Oregonizm
We had a "Maggie Rack" installed on our roof. It's similar to what comes stock on a Suburban and other SUV's. Then you can add Yakima's or Thule's towers, crossbars and thier assortment of specialized gear brackets.
Donlu
QUOTE(Haus @ Oct 27 2009, 10:17 AM)

Thanks

"Have you considered the foam cradles that are designed to sit on a vehicle roof? No drilling required!

I've used these cradles on vehicles and I simply tie the kayak off bow and stern to the respective bumper tiedown point."

This is the way that we secure our kayak to the roof of our Elkhorn 11X. We did not want to add additional holes in the roof of our TC... more places for eventual leaks to start.
Electric Don
I have a question on the same topic: how do you get the kayaks down from the roof of the camper? It seems like it must be a bit tricky. I saw a camper last summer with kayaks on the roof and he had a roller intalled across the back edge of the roof so he could push them across the roller without damaging the edge of the roof. His wife waited below to assist.
Catlin987987
QUOTE(Jeff Dodd @ Oct 30 2009, 10:40 AM)
Not exactly what you're asking for, but... Have you considered the foam cradles that are designed to sit on a vehicle roof? No drilling required!

Any links?
rrurban
QUOTE(Haus @ Oct 27 2009, 08:17 AM)

Thanks

I thought a canoe would be great for my truck camper but did more research and ended up buying a Porta-Bote (folding boat). you can mount to your roof using the RV mounts they sell. folded the boat is just 24" wide and 4" tall. www.porta-bote.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.