Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: TRUCK BRAKES
Truck Camper Forum > General > General Discussion
JADE RACING
On a recent trip into the upper region of New York state I felt as if the trucks braking was not up to good enough safety. As I run a Banks speed brake and do not do higher speeds with the T/C on, the only time that this occurred was the final stopping at a set of lights or stop sign. I removed the frt. pads and found that they were totally glazed over while the rotors were still clean with no rusting or glaze. After reading and research I decided to replace the rotors with a set of vented and cross drilled replacements. A set of carbon fibre pads were included so I installed and did a brake-in on these new to me items. What I found out so far is that the stopping distance is really reduced from my stock set up and I think that the pads will not be able to glaze up as the drilled rotors will always be shearing the face off of these pads. I don't know if other owners have noticed a reduced stopping distance in their OEM brake systems as age creeps up on their vehicles. This week should tell as planning a outing for about a week of travel.
Chief 2
QUOTE(JADE RACING @ Jul 9 2018, 09:15 AM)
On a recent trip into the upper region of New York state I felt as if the trucks braking was not up to good enough  safety. As I run a Banks speed brake and do not do higher speeds with the T/C on, the only time that this occurred was the final stopping at a set of lights or stop sign. I removed the frt. pads and found that they were totally glazed over while the rotors were still clean with no rusting or glaze. After reading and research I decided to replace the rotors with a set of vented and cross drilled replacements. A set of carbon fibre pads were included so I installed and did a brake-in on these new to me items. What I found out so far is that the stopping distance is really reduced from my stock set up and I think that the pads will not be able to glaze up as the drilled rotors will always be shearing the face off of these pads. I don't know if other owners have noticed a reduced stopping distance in their OEM brake systems as age creeps up on their vehicles. This week should tell as planning a outing for about a week of travel.

I ran into an issue with my 05 Chevy 3500 dually where the brakes felt like they were releasing on the final stop. It would feel like I was letting my foot off the brake slightly at the very end of the stop. I found that I had a bad anti-lock sensor in one of the front wheels. In order to get to it you have to remove the front caliper, rotor and hub. There is a 10mm bolt that holds the sensor to the spindle and the wire runs up to a connector on the upper control arm. After I changed them out it works great again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.