Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Using Air Bags
Truck Camper Forum > General > Support Equipment
Nwatkins176
Hello everyone. I’m trading in my 36 ft 5er toy hauler for a heavy truck camper on Monday. Lance 1172. I will be towing my Jeep on a trailer as well.
Wet weight of the camper will be about 5k. Plus another 500 when the Jeep is back there.

I have a 2011 Ram 3500 DRW with a Cummins . I installed some Airlift 7500 lb bags recently. I have never used bags before. So couple questions.

Do I want to raise the back of the truck up to the level it normally is when empty? Or is a little squat desired? .

When I load the camper should I have a little air in them, a lot of air? Basically should I prefill the bags?

JADE RACING
we had a 5th wheel and had air bags which helped the squat after inflating, but since having our 2nd t/c I have kept a minimum of about 5lb when the t/c is unloaded and after loading I bump up the pressure to about 45 lb's and check the ride as they aren't for carrying the weight as much as stabilizing the cornering ability as well as road deviations. Just my take. I would not increase the air pressure in the bags til I loaded the camper and if loading a trailer that is adding weight to the truck. Every combination will give different results as to weight on the truck verses the air pressure in the bags. Experiment! Good Luck
Chief 2
Good advice already given. Something else you should consider to help with sway is a Big Wig rea sway bar and also the front cab over struts. The 1172 is heavy and the cab over struts really help cut down on the stress on the truck.
SidecarFlip
My bags are always pre-loaded at 10 psi, empty or loaded. The on board compressor has an air sensing device in it that keeps the bags slightly inflated all the time (when the ignition key is on). I'm in the 45 psi club (loaded) as well. I have at least 10 years on them without any issues.
emcvay
Interesting thread. I tend to run my bags around 25lbs based on feel but in truth I'm not sure I need them at all really because I run upper and lower stable loads, big wig rear sway bar and rancho 9000's

When empty I drop the bags to 5lbs (min recommended setting) to help lower the rear of the truck since adding them seems to have lifted it slightly. I fill to desired amount once the camper is loaded.

I'm running an AF990 on an F350 PS CC LB 4x4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.