Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Complete re-caulking?
Truck Camper Forum > General > General Discussion
AraWithSpirit
Our 4 years old NL has never leaked but I just realized by reading from a few others that theirs has and I should as preventive maintenance re-caulk it all!

I am not good at it as I have watched professionals do it without even using their fingers but instead at incredible speed and precision do a beautiful bead.

Would you take it to a Camper/RV Dealer? Has anyone had such experience of such preventive maintenance?

Being full time West mainly we could just about go anywhere. I think it would be a worthwhile investment.
Freespool
I would recommend Galaxy Truck Campers in Ontario. David owns the shop and is involved in all repairs. This is a family style place that sells Lance truck campers. The shop has been there for decades. Give David a call at 9093219053
skyhammer
QUOTE(Freespool @ Jan 21 2017, 04:45 PM)
I would recommend Galaxy Truck Campers in Ontario.  David owns the shop and is involved in all repairs.  This is a family style place that sells Lance truck campers.  The shop has been there for decades.  Give David a call at 9093219053

I re-caulked my camper last Summer. It didn't need it, but I did it anyway. I was easy. It took 4 tubes to do all the seams and 2 tubes of dicor to do the skylights and AC.
I spent the most time removing the old dicor with a heat gun and scraper, but it went quickly.
I found that the key was to cut the nipple on the caulk to the correct angle and width, and not to caulk when it is cold.
AraWithSpirit
QUOTE(skyhammer @ Jan 22 2017, 04:37 PM)
I re-caulked my camper last Summer. It didn't need it, but I did it anyway. I was easy. It took 4 tubes to do all the seams and 2 tubes of dicor to do the skylights and AC.
I spent the most time removing the old dicor with a heat gun and scraper, but it went quickly.
I found that the key was to cut the nipple on the caulk to the correct angle and width, and not to caulk when it is cold.

We are in Louisiana right now, headed West in about a week or so and Ontario is kind of far for now, but Thank You for the tip.

Skyhammer. I do understand that Dicor Lap sealant is the best. When you say "4 tubes to do all the seams" did you use something else besides the 2 tube of Dicor? And if you did, why wouldn't you strictly use Dicor all around?

I also understand that "Eternabond" tape is great and can be applied [pressure sensitive] to any existing caulking, except silicone, after cleaning the existing caulking, with like Simple Green. Why not do the skykights, AC, vents, with the tape over it all? Seems like much less work to me. Not that I can get on the roof yet!!!
Thanks...
skyhammer
QUOTE(AraWithSpirit @ Jan 22 2017, 05:23 PM)
We are in Louisiana right now, headed West in about a week or so and Ontario is kind of far for now, but Thank You for the tip.

Skyhammer. I do understand that Dicor Lap sealant is the best. When you say "4 tubes to do all the seams" did you use something else besides the 2 tube of Dicor? And if you did, why wouldn't you strictly use Dicor all around?

I also understand that "Eternabond" tape is great and can be applied [pressure sensitive] to any existing caulking, except silicone, after cleaning the existing caulking, with like Simple Green. Why not do the skykights, AC, vents, with the tape over it all? Seems like much less work to me. Not that I can get on the roof yet!!!
Thanks...

I just use what Host gave me and applied it where they said.
Dicor is self leveling and rather thick/putty like. I was told to use it only on the skylights etc., on the roof.Don't think it would work well on vertical surfaces. It never seems to harden very much and it flows, which is the self leveling part. It is rather thick and would may not look very good on the narrow, thin seams on the walls.
Host gave me "Big Stretch" for all the other seams, I also use this at home on my windows and bathrooms.
I was lucky to visit the factory and see my camper several times while it was being built. Host gave me a lot of spare parts and fittings in case I needed them. If something breaks, the send me the parts, so far for no charge and it has been 5 years.
I have taken the owners fishing several times, so maybe that helps.

towpro
for everything accept the roof, I would recommend Geocel for RV's for the sides. now the roof depends on what your roof is made from.

rubber roof? dicore.
TPO Vinyl Roof? jury is still out on this one. dicore makes a product, but in small print it says its a 2 part solution and I have never seen the missing part.

SidecarFlip
Every RV that spends it's entire life outside needs to have a once over, every year checking all the seams and laps. Mine stays inside, only going out to camp but I still watch everything just the same.

Certainly a 'do it yourself' operation. Nothing complex other than using the right stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.