Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: DC power
Truck Camper Forum > General > General Discussion
Raven62
Just bought a 2004 Travel Lite 700sp. Seller says that there is no battery in TC. Do I plug into truck DC ? Help please....
Spanky
There should be a place for a battery. Look under the step up into bed area. Not familar with this camper but thats where a lot of batteries are.
Nobody
I've owned quite a number of truck campers beginning with a new 8' Fields in 1969. It was mfg'd by Fields Mfg of Tulsa, OK & had no battery (no toilet either, but it did have a range w/oven, & icebox only, no fridge), I had to use the truck DC for lights & after I installed an electric water pump. Since then I've owned at least 6 other truck campers & none had batteries 'til I acquired in 1990 a 1987 Real Lite built in Troy, MI. It was a very large camper (for its time) with a 12' box & side entry door, fully 'loaded' including A/C. It had a camper (house) battery under a dinette seat. I didn't have a battery isolator on my truck & subsequently 'ran down' my truck batteries before draining the 'house' battery. I immediately installed an isolator, & replaced the house battery with 2 Interstate group 29 deep cycle batteries. I wired them in parallel & every month or so I'd switch their positions (electrically) in the circuit in an attempt to keep one from being used more than the other. I kept that arrangement for more than 7yrs & they were still going strong when I sold the camper. I've since owned 2 'pop up' truck campers, an '87 & a '95; the '87 didn't have a battery but the '95 Sun-Lite had a 'house' battery for use when I didn't camp with hook ups. I'd think that a 2004 model would have a house battery. Look for it under the 'step' to the cabover bed as Spanky said...
jimmcpm
I have a 2005 700SP and it is located under the step to the bed. There is a white battery tray in between the power distribution center and the fresh water tank and there is simply a +12v fused power and ground wire hanging there that connects to the battery when in place. Even if there is no tray (if this was an option) there should be space there on the floor for it (install a battery tray with a top and vent it through the floor if using a wet cell battery) and you should be able to connect a ground to the ground block on the front wall and a +12v power wire (with an in-line fuse) to the battery terminal on the power distribution center. All lights and 12v appliances should then run off the battery and the power distribution center will charge the battery when shore power or the truck umbilical cord is attached and the truck is running.

Do Not forget to install an inline fuse on the +12v power line going to the battery. If the battery is not in place or the ground and/or +12v power lines touch that fuse blows and saves you from melting down the power distribution center. It also is the first thing you should check if the battery stops powering the 12v circuits.
Raven62
QUOTE(Spanky @ Jan 26 2015, 09:45 PM)
There should be a place for a battery. Look under the step up into bed area. Not familar with this camper but thats where a lot of batteries are.

Thanks, Spanky. You were right. Just got the camper out of storage & are getting familiar with it.
Raven62
QUOTE(jimmcpm @ Feb 18 2015, 04:36 PM)
I have a 2005 700SP and it is located under the step to the bed. There is a white battery tray in between the power distribution center and the fresh water tank and there is simply a +12v fused power and ground wire hanging there that connects to the battery when in place. Even if there is no tray (if this was an option) there should be space there on the floor for it (install a battery tray with a top and vent it through the floor if using a wet cell battery) and you should be able to connect a ground to the ground block on the front wall and a +12v power wire (with an in-line fuse) to the battery terminal on the power distribution center. All lights and 12v appliances should then run off the battery and the power distribution center will charge the battery when shore power or the truck umbilical cord is attached and the truck is running.

Do Not forget to install an inline fuse on the +12v power line going to the battery. If the battery is not in place or the ground and/or +12v power lines touch that fuse blows and saves you from melting down the power distribution center. It also is the first thing you should check if the battery stops powering the 12v circuits.

Thanks for the info. Battery is there. Just got the camper out of storage.
garbonz
QUOTE(Raven62 @ Apr 19 2015, 08:36 PM)
Thanks for the info. Battery is there. Just got the camper out of storage.

If the battery has been sitting there, it is most probably dead and NO GOOD, so you may want to save yourself some trouble and just take it in and replace it with one of the same size. Especially if there were freezing temperatures where it was stored.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.