Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Determining used value
Truck Camper Forum > General > General Discussion
Tohopko
I've read the previous post about NADA being historically low. How else do I determine value of a used TC? I am looking at a 1992 Starcraft 852. It has been well cared for, but I have no way to check out all the appliances. The owner says the stove and oven have never been used, and the refrigerator has only been started once in the past 5 years, and then it was "noisy", but worked.

How do I go about establishing a value? The owner is asking $4800, NADA is around $2000.

Jim
drc5900
Surf the web, at places such as craigslist, for asking prices in private sales for similar, early 1990's, TC's in similar condition. The seller's asking price seems very high. I searched for 9 months before in June 2009 I found the TC I wanted for a reasonable price (1993 Jayco 950 askprice $2650, bought for $2K, in great condition, all appliances tested before purchase). On my search to my TC, I found that a lot of sellers think their TC is worth gold, just avoid those sellers because they can't be reasoned with. A noisy fridge: maybe it's on it's last legs: keep in mind that a new fridge will set you back around $1000. Appliances not used for many years aren't necessarily better than appliances that are used: They might be full of bugs which crawled & spawned in there over the years...
Ask the seller to show you all appliances working properly (e.g. that means all propane appliances need to have clean blue flames), IF all appliances are working properly there is no reason he can't show you, don't put up with any excuses as to why not.
Also, check thoroughly for evidence of roofleaks.
Remember you are buying a 20 years old RV, it's gonna have a few things that need to be done, and if it hasn't been used for many years you likely will have to catch up on maintenance.
If that TC was one I'd really like, I wouldn't offer much above that NADA value, mid $2K at best if in excellent condition.
Good Luck on your search!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.