Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Airbags or Summo Springs or ?, Load leveling

AdventureSeeker
post Sep 21 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,575
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Artic Fox (on order)
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2017 Ford F350 Lariat
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Diesel, Dually

A few months ago, I used this site to help me select the truck which I appreciated greatly.

Its due in next week. Now the next challenge is what I should do to level the load.
My head is spinning with the choices… Summo springs, torklift stable loads, Hellwig, airbags etc etc. I also went to my local spring shop and the guy told me he could simply put a block between the leaf springs and the axle that would increase the height for cheap… only problem is it would jack the back end up more when the camper is off the truck which I am not all that excited about.

Soooooo….. the next question is what to do and would appreciate everyone’s advice.

Here’s what I have on the truck coming from Detroit:
2017, F350, Lariat, Diesel, Dually. It will carry an Artic Fox 865 camper which will weigh about 4,200lbs wet. Cargo capacity is not going to be an issue I should have about 700 lbs of extra cargo capacity so I can pull a small trailer if needed.

This is what I have planned for it:
Hunting, fishing, sking in Colorago, Canada, Montana, Utah etc. It will spend about 85% of the time on pavement but will do BLM, forest service, that are in decent shape and some ranch roads. No rock climbing for this truck! Out east I will also do cratered ORV beach sand roads for surf fishing. It will spend 95% with the camper mounted on it.

I am retiring and this is the first new vehicle I have ever bought and am willing outfit it right. So the question is… for the applications I am using it for what’s the best way to level the load? Thanks to all in advance
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Sep 21 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

It's actually coming from Louisville Truck. Where the 350's are built

I run air lift bags on my 350 but they may or may not be for you. I don't inflate them very much, maybe 30 pounds. I could get by with nothing in them actually. I do that for sway mostly.

My buddy has Stable loads on his 250. They seem to work but I prefer air bags. Don't know anything about Sumo Springs

My 350 came with factory sway bars not sure yours will. If nit, I'd suggest adding at least a rear swaybar.
+Quote Post
Chief 2
post Sep 22 2017, 08:29 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,469
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

I would wait until you get the truck and load the camper on it to really see what if anything you will need. I personally like the airbags because of the ability to adjust ride height if needed.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Sep 22 2017, 08:46 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Get the unit and load it for camping and see..

One thing to keep in mind is, the weight and the actual weight are usually 2 different things. Manufacturers weight and actual weight are 99% of the time, vastly different on the plus side.

Never seen one unit that weighed what a builder claimed it did, it always weighed more and usually appreciably more.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:01 AM