flyingd
post Dec 8 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,854
Favorite Truck Camper(s): King Koach Kamper
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1998 Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually 4x4 quad cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge 3500 Dually, Air Bags, Happijac Tiedowns, 1969 King Koach Kamper w/ slideout bed. (original design)

I have a 1969 camper that is sweet, the wife likes it but it needs a heater. It did not come with one. I have heard all the discussions on forums and talked face to face with owners of both types. I have heard both pros and cons on the catalytic from people that have had them and love them to the other side.

I am still undecided about what to do, so please help me.

I have more room to put in a catalytic heater, the furnace (non force air) would be a lot harder to figure out where to put.

So let the battle (discussion) begin.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave D.
post Dec 9 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,037
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Looking for Pop-up
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Silverado WT 1/2 ton
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Still shopping

The USA has some good consumer protection laws but I know that the Catalytic heater I have, while approved in the USA for indoor use, is not approved in Canada. If cost is an issue, go with the catalytic one. Otherwise I would go with a built in one. The issue is whether you are burning inside or outside air and would you trust your life that the low oxygen shut off works on the catalytic heater
?

I use my catalytic heater as its infra red and will warm me up even outside. I would never go to sleep with it on in an enclosed camper.
+Quote Post
abacusblack
post Dec 13 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,767
Favorite Truck Camper(s): S&S
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1989 GMC Searra 3500 extended cab dually
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: Looking for 10 ft, camper. Have 34 ft Signature XL 5th wheel

QUOTE(flyingd @ Dec 8 2011, 01:28 PM)
I have a 1969 camper that is sweet, the wife likes it but it needs a heater.  It did not come with one.  I have heard all the discussions on forums and talked face to face with owners of both types.  I have heard both pros and cons on the catalytic from people that have had them and love them to the other side.

I have more room to put in a catalytic heater, the furnace (non force air) would be a lot harder to figure out where to put.

So  let the battle (discussion) begin.

I use the " Mr. Heater (little Buddy) in a Class B motor home
and it works great. Leave a window slightly open to allow fresh air in and waste air out. Buy a carbon monoxide alarm for good measure.
You can buy a larger cat heater that will install on the outside of a lower cabinet door and is vented to the outside. The idea is that you must ensure that there is enough fresh air entering to both feed the furnace and keep you alive. IMO.
+Quote Post
Campingguy
post Feb 26 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,904
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Six-Pac
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1984 1.25 Ton Army Chevy (CUCV) 6.2L Diesel and 2007 GMC Dually Crewcab 4X4 Duramax Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 1984 Army Chevy (CUCV) shelter carrier with Gear Vendors overdrive, Banks Sidewinder turbo, KYB Monomax shocks and 1989 Six-Pac 8.5 Foot with multiple upgrades and updates such as EPDM Rubber Roof and upgraded power inverter/battery charger.

QUOTE(flyingd @ Dec 8 2011, 03:28 PM)
I have a 1969 camper that is sweet, the wife likes it but it needs a heater.  It did not come with one.  I have heard all the discussions on forums and talked face to face with owners of both types.  I have heard both pros and cons on the catalytic from people that have had them and love them to the other side.

So  let the battle (discussion) begin.

It's tough to find space for a furnace. I put a Wave 3 catalytic heater in my old SicPac 8.5 foot camper and love it. Gotta be smarter than the heater though and open windows to cross vent. The windows on my door open top and bottom and since the heater is mounted back there I slide open the top and bottom a bit, plus open the window by the sink and a roof vent just a bit. The danger is suffocation vs. carbon monoxide since the catalytic process uses a lot of oxygen and if the camper is closed up tight you'll be hurtin' for certain (severe headache) - or beyond hurtin' - from lack of oxygen... I've been using catalytic heaters for over 20 years and have never had even the slightest problem.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:19 AM