DWJoyce
post May 11 2017, 03:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,537
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '66 Chevy K10
Type of Tiedowns used: Don't know
Truck and Camper Setup: 8' cabover with helper strings on the rear of the truck. In the process of rebuilding an old camper with rotten floors and a leaking roof. Will add a toilet and shower and replace the icebox with a refrigerator.

I was just given an 8 foot cabover camper with straight aluminum siding, perfect windows and accessories, and significant wood rot in one side and the plywood floor. I think I'll remove all the siding, repair the damage to the frame, build a new base, install new insulation and new interior paneling.

Has anyone used PVC or Composite decking boards instead of wood for camper rot repair? I know it's expensive, but wouldn't it be useful for repairs in certain places, like window and door frames? Seems it would be a time-saver over waterproofing douglas fir boards.

Then there's expensive marine plywood. Is there a less expensive alternative? Like just painting exterior plywood or coating it with bed liner?

What about using fiberglass for building a new base using techniques similar to boat construction? What I mean is a thin plywood structure covered in fiberglass, instead of 1 inch plywood sheets screwed and glued together then covered with rubberized paint.

Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post May 11 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(DWJoyce @ May 11 2017, 03:10 PM)
I was just given an 8 foot cabover camper with straight aluminum siding, perfect windows and accessories, and significant wood rot in one side and the plywood floor. I think I'll remove all the siding, repair the damage to the frame, build a new base, install new insulation and new interior paneling.

Has anyone used PVC or Composite decking boards instead of wood for camper rot repair? I know it's expensive, but wouldn't it be useful for repairs in certain places,  like window and door frames? Seems it would be a time-saver over waterproofing douglas fir boards.

Then there's expensive marine plywood. Is there a less expensive alternative? Like just painting exterior plywood or coating it with bed liner?

What about using fiberglass for building a new base using techniques similar to boat construction? What I mean is a thin plywood structure covered in fiberglass, instead of 1 inch plywood sheets screwed and glued together then covered with rubberized paint.

Thank you.

I think if I was going to do a rot restore, I'd use .40 retention pressure treated pine thats rated for water immersion. That stuff never rots and it's substantially cheaper that engineered (plastic) wood. Heck, it's Dug Fir injected with anti rot compound.

Just don't get any slivers in your hands. It festers right now and itches like heck.
\
I'd do the lower in .40 retention marine grade 3/4" plywood as well. 4 ply with waterproof adhesive will outlast you,
+Quote Post
DWJoyce
post May 12 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,537
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '66 Chevy K10
Type of Tiedowns used: Don't know
Truck and Camper Setup: 8' cabover with helper strings on the rear of the truck. In the process of rebuilding an old camper with rotten floors and a leaking roof. Will add a toilet and shower and replace the icebox with a refrigerator.

Thank you sidecarflip. That's what I was looking for!
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post May 12 2017, 08:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(DWJoyce @ May 12 2017, 02:41 PM)
Thank you sidecarflip. That's what I was looking for!

The 'plastic' wood is much heavier too. I did a deck with the stuff and I was amazed how much it weighed.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:52 AM