jimmy87903
post Oct 16 2013, 01:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,973
Favorite Truck Camper(s): sun lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: chevy 1/2 ton z-71
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 1/2 ton silverado,8 1/2 ft sun lite hide away happijac tiedowns

I have a 1992 sun lite hide away truck camper.After several years of use I noticed the manual jack L mounts that go underneath the camper trying to flex a little whenever I raised or lowered the camper,and by the way it has 3 jacks.I started looking at it closer and determined the bolts which by the way it has 4 on each L mount that the jack bolts to were loose.I tried tightening the nuts but the carriage bolts that came from inside the camper thru the plywood frame turned also with no way to hold the head of the carriage bolt.I cut the bolts off at the nuts,purchased hex bolts to replace,but the plywood seems soft probbaly from moisture thru the years.I am thinking seriously about putting a 1/4 inch steel plate that will cover more area than the narrow aluminum mount from the factory for extra support on the inside of camper and also on the bottom between the L mount that the jack mounts to and the bottom of camper.Has anyone ever done this,heard of this being done?I dont know of any other way to reinforce this area without tearing this thing apart which I dont want to do.This camper is several years old but is in A-1 shape except for this issue and I want to correct it before I accidently lay it over due to a jack and jack mount twisting away from the camper.Any help with information would be appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KY_Campers
post Oct 16 2013, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,413
Favorite Truck Camper(s): .....
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ......
Type of Tiedowns used: .......
Truck and Camper Setup: .........

QUOTE(jimmy87903 @ Oct 16 2013, 02:35 AM)
I have a 1992 sun lite hide away truck camper.After several years of use I noticed the manual jack L mounts that go underneath the camper trying to flex a little whenever I raised or lowered the camper,and by the way it has 3 jacks.I started looking at it closer and determined the bolts which by the way it has 4 on each L mount that the jack bolts to were loose.I tried tightening the nuts but the carriage bolts that came from inside the camper thru the plywood frame turned also with no way to hold the head of the carriage bolt.I cut the bolts off at the nuts,purchased hex bolts to replace,but the plywood seems soft probbaly from moisture thru the years.I am thinking seriously about putting a 1/4 inch steel plate that will cover more area than the narrow aluminum mount from the factory for extra support on the inside of camper and also on the bottom between the L mount that the jack mounts to and the bottom of camper.Has anyone ever done this,heard of this being done?I dont know of any other way to reinforce this area without tearing this thing apart which I dont want to do.This camper is several years old but is in A-1 shape except for this issue and I want to correct it before I accidently lay it over due to a jack and jack mount twisting away from the camper.Any help with information would be appreciated.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! smile.gif

You could use the metal to reinforce the mounts that way. . . I believe it would work fine!

You could also use plywood too if you want to. . . .Just cut squares and bolt it to the camper where the jacks go.

On which jack did you cut the bolts off ?? . . . Post some pictures when you start to work on this!

I have the same camper, But mine is a 1996. . . I'll have to check mine out after reading your post.

Good luck and keep us posted!

--------------------
. . . .
+Quote Post
tom
post Oct 16 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,385
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ulta lite 1200lbs to me is not lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f150 ford
Type of Tiedowns used: home built to frame
Truck and Camper Setup: looked for something really lite, nothing on the market. Wanted something less than half of the rated weight load for a 1/2 ton truck.Like to be realistic about weight capacities. Built a totally aluminum unit. 8 ft. box, 80 in. wide, 80 in. high. With door, windows and AC and jacks I can still left one end by hand and I'm over 60. I'm guessing at this point unit must be around 200 lbs.

QUOTE(jimmy87903 @ Oct 16 2013, 02:35 AM)

Your probably right about the corners being soft as the plates and bolts were probably never caulked at installation. Takes a few years but water does get in. So be sure to caulk the new installation. You also might want to go up higher on the corner with your new plates to make sure there is some solid material to bolt through. The jacks would bolt at the existing locations but the higher plate would carry the load around solid material. I used aluminum out side so there was no more rust. All food for thought! Hope this helps.

Tom
+Quote Post
jimmy87903
post Oct 22 2013, 05:50 AM
Post #4

Truck and Camper Setup: 1/2 ton silverado,8 1/2 ft sun lite hide away happijac tiedowns

Thanks KY campers for the welcome to the forum,for the reply and also to Tom for the reply back to my topic.I will get back to you folks on the progress and outcome on this project ASAP.I haven't had time to get back on with my work in about a week due to being a truck driver and working away from home,and ive been working 6 days a week.Dont leave much time after the honey do's are all completed,but I will resume as soon as I can.The camper jack mount you asked me about Ky Campers that I cut the bolts off on is the front jack on the driver side.It was the only way to remove it since the factory used carriage bolts on installation and the square tabs on top of the bolt were turning with the nut outside with no way to hold it.I wanted new bolts on re-install anyway,plus the length of the bolt will have to be longer when I get my plates cut.I have managed to get to the scrap yard and obtain my material,Im going to use 1/4 to 3/8 thick plates and cut them extra wide inside and out,that should give me the support Im looking for.By the way,where do you live in east Ky,kentucky campers?I worked out of Scottsville,ky for 14 years running dollar general stores,Ive covered all of east ky at one time or another through the years.Any way you and Tom have a great one,Thanks again.Jimmy
+Quote Post
KY_Campers
post Oct 23 2013, 06:24 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,413
Favorite Truck Camper(s): .....
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ......
Type of Tiedowns used: .......
Truck and Camper Setup: .........

QUOTE(jimmy87903 @ Oct 22 2013, 06:50 AM)
The camper jack mount you asked me about Ky Campers that I cut the bolts off on is the front jack on the driver side.

On my Sun Lite camper the front jack is right under where the refrigerator is.

I can remove a small wood panel under the fridge on the inside and remove the bolts to the jack. . I have to pull out all of the electric cord, and there's not much room under there.

Is that the way yours is ?

QUOTE(jimmy87903 @ Oct 22 2013, 06:50 AM)
By the way,where do you live in east Ky,kentucky campers?I worked out of Scottsville,ky for 14 years running dollar general stores,Ive covered all of east ky at one time or another through the years.

Small world! smile.gif

I live near Johnson County, Ky.

My daughter is one of the managers at a Dollar General Store in Inez, Ky. . . Did you deliver to that one ?

I used to be a truck driver. . Started out with TMC and then drove for a local company delivering coalmine supplies, But still worked 60 hours a week.

Hope you get it fixed! . . . Post some pictures if you can.

Good luck! . . . And be safe on the road! smile.gif

--------------------
. . . .
+Quote Post
jimmy87903
post Oct 29 2013, 03:08 AM
Post #6

Thanks KY,The driver side jack mount is just like u described on the front,under the fridge,through the small compartment,and its tight under there.I found a metal supplier around my area and got a 1/4" aluminum plate in thickness by 12"x15" in length to put underneath the outside of the camper between the camper jack and camper.I cut a solid steel plate to go on the inside along with high stress bolts.The aluminum plates are down there where I need it to be light,the solid steel plates are up above,on top of the framework,that can carry the weight with no problem.Thats the way it should have been from the start,the moisture does work on these things.But when I get all jack mounts done,it will be bolted down tight,and caulked around all seams.I cant post pics due to this computer I'm running on,sorry!As far as delivering to Inez,Ky Dollar Gen,Ive been through there but I cant remember.I can remember going to Paintsville,down south to Pikeville,flaming neon,elkhorn city,and across the line into west va.Im running local now on a dedicated deal with Averitt Express out of Murfreesboro,Tn,sure is good to be in my bed everyday after 14 years away from home,even though I'm driving 55 mi one way to the job,but I am confident u can relate.Until next update,God Bless.
+Quote Post
perrysee
post Nov 25 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,429
Favorite Truck Camper(s): roamin chariot
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1995 dodge dakota
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 1995 dodge dakota ,ext cab ,4x4 ,with a 1968 roamin chariot truck camper

hi, i used steel plates for my camper which was doing the same thing. i used 1/4 thick steel which might be a overkill buti wanted it to last. i put a plate on both sides of the plywood and went as big as i could . which worked out great no flexing now and better mounts for tie-downs . i did mine when restoring my camper which is a 1968 roamin chariot. if you need more info or pics will gladly email to you.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:22 PM