Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Looking to Buy a New Truck Camper

Jim C
post Dec 9 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 247

I purchased a 2004 F-250 Supercab Shortbed with a GVWR of 8800Lbs. I'm looking at a Host Bachelor truck camper with a weight of approximately 3000Lbs with all options i need. I don't know what a F-250 weighs. I don't have a commercial scale near by so I can't weight it. Does anyone know what a stock 2004 F250 Supercab with single rear wheels (4X4) would weigh?

Thanks,
Jim C
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xtreemnoise
post Dec 10 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 202
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350 PSD 06 XLT crew cab DRW tow boss
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift, Qwik-Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: F350 DRW, airbags, Lance Squire 8000 10'6", superhitch w/ extension for towing 72 Pinzgauer swiss army radio truck

Not sure about the specs on your F250, one of my trucks is a 93 F350 4x4 crewcab single wheel with a 9200 GVWR. The truck empty weighs 6260lbs that leaves 2940lbs for passengers & bed payload. We have a Lance 10' 9" camper that I have put on it a few times that weighs approximately 3200lbs loaded with gear & liquid. With two of us passengers & full tanks of fuel we are probably about 300 lbs at least over weight for the GVWR. The truck handles the load no problem 70 mph on hills & stops in a resonable distance safely. This is still an unsafe ultimate condition over the GVWR, sure the axles are rated a bit above this for engineering safety margine. I hadn't towed with the camper on & would imagine that if I did things might be a bit different for braking distance.

Adding air bags will not increase the GVWR, it will shift your load forward to more evenly distribute the load for better handling.

What has happened in our case, out of the blue my company is now paying a car allowance which has afforded the purchase of a new F350 PSD CC DRW 4x4 with a 13,000 GVWR which is more than enough to haul the camper & tow 10,000 lbs plus safely without taxing the driveline as well.

It's really up to the individual how much you want to tax your driveline longevity & safety unsure.gif My 2 cents.....

--------------------
06 F350 PSD CC 4x4 DWR 95 Lance 10" 9"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:42 AM