post Feb 16 2016, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,703
Favorite Truck Camper(s): skamper
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: big
Type of Tiedowns used: ?
Truck and Camper Setup: 10 for skamper on truck

I have these mounts, and I assume are brackets to mount to a truck frame for holding the camper on at the front. Anyone able to identify these and for what truck?
user posted image
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Feb 17 2016, 07:04 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

I personally do not know these but I can tell you I would not trust them. Thats just me but they dont look safe to me.

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
hangemhigh
post Feb 19 2016, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,737
Favorite Truck Camper(s): alaskan
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: gmc sierra
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: six pac on a short bed

they look custom made..plus being symmetrical they both go on the same side..but I'm a perfectionist like that
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Feb 21 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

Those pix look to me like 2 different views of the same individual 'tie-down'. Quite a few years ago I used a set of 'stake pocket' tie-downs very similar to those. They were custom built from 3/8" or maybe 1/2" steel strap, approx 2" in width. The ones I had were very well made but recommendation was to limit camper weight held to around 2/2.5K#. On my set the hole in the vertical 'stabilizer' member was threaded, & a 1/2" hex head bolt was threaded through that hole & acted as a 'keeper' or locking device to help hold the tie-down stable. We used steel turnbuckles from the 'wing' of the tie-down to the 'eye' bolt tie-downs of the camper itself (an 8' Fields, built by Rufus Fields & his Dad in Tulsa, OK in late 1960s early 70s) & once the turnbuckle was secured, the 'cam-lock' action of the tie-down in the stake pockets, along with the 'keeper' bolt provided plenty of 'grip' to hold most campers securely. Ya gotta remember, in those days (1960s/70s) campers were much smaller/lighter than in later years, & didn't exert as much force/pull on tie-downs. In fact, in the mid 1960s Ford actually produced for sale an F-100 (1/2 ton) Camper Special truck. Not quite as heavy duty as the 3/4 ton, it had 'beefed up' suspension & spindles to carry campers up to approx 2K#. It wasn't until the 1980s or later that I saw my first 'frame mounted' tie-downs. I bought a 1987 Real Lite side entry, 12' cabover in 1989. First experience I had with a truck camper that weighed more'n 3K#. On that one I definitely used bolt on frame mounted tie-downs. Things have changed (mostly for the better) a lot in the last 30-40 years, with larger, more luxurious trucks & campers. Folks are doing things with truck campers nowadays that we could only dream of in the 1960s/70s. The first 'pop-up' (or crank up) truck camper I ever saw was a solid wall Alaskan brand that probably weighed more'n a comparable 'high wall' camper. The last 2 truck campers I've owned were a Skamper, & a Sun-Lite pop-up type that weighed under 2K#, & the Sun-Lite had a flush toilet...

I currently have a set of custom 'stake pocket' tie-downs (will try to post a pic when I get 'em cleaned up) that are designed to hold as much camper as you can put on most 3/4 ton trucks. Pretty sure I'd trust 'em to hold most truck campers up to maybe 3K#, but then, that's just me.
+Quote Post
finaddict
post Mar 13 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,957
Favorite Truck Camper(s): northland arctic fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford Ranger, F250, F350
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift copy
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 F350 diesel, Torklift copy tiedowns,airbags, Alpenlite 8.5, class 5 hitch, double bar torklift extension copy for the 7000 lb. sport fisher on the back

What I call those "tie downs" is a solid opportunity to destroy the box of your truck. Buy some frame mounted tie downs,and save your truck. Do it once. Do it right
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:15 PM