post Oct 25 2017, 06:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,845
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Raptor
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Northstar 12 stc

I am contemplating options on the north star 12 stc and have a couple quick questions:

1. If using a Honda 2000 w generator on gas for the air conditioner, can it be left in the storage compartment with the door closed to deter theft or must one keep t open to allow exhaust to vent?

2. Is one able to add another solar panel later to the factory 160w option or is t better to forgo that option and buy a quality kit elsewhere?

3. I want to heat/cool the camper with truck while driving with the foam boot attached to rear window. I am deciding between f450 and ram 3500. If I get spray in bed liner as an option, will this possibly not allow the camper pass through to line up with rear window of truck? Not sure how to figure this one out ahead of time.

Thank you very much for your insight

6cu. ft. compressor refrigerator
13’ side awning
no tv-extra storage cabinet
fold down bunk with safety straps
4.5 gal cassette toilet
air conditioner
dually swing out brackets
foam window boot
clear entry door window w snap cover
160 watt solar
fantastic fan vent cover
no batteries/will get own agm 31xt’s
want window above bunk
Extra cushions in lagun seating for footrest

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on TruckCamperWarehouse (http://truck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 25 2017, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Poodlemaster 187 @ Oct 25 2017, 06:30 AM)
I am contemplating options on the north star 12 stc and have a couple quick questions:

1. If using a Honda 2000 w generator on gas for the air conditioner, can it be left in the storage compartment with the door closed to deter theft or must one keep t open to allow exhaust to vent?

2. Is one able to add another solar panel later to the factory 160w option or is t better to forgo that option and buy a quality kit elsewhere?

3. I want to heat/cool the camper with truck while driving with the foam boot attached to rear window. I am deciding between f450 and ram 3500. If I get spray in bed liner as an option, will this possibly not allow the camper pass through to line up with rear window of truck? Not sure how to figure this one out ahead of time.

Thank you very much for your insight

6cu. ft. compressor refrigerator
13’ side awning
no tv-extra storage cabinet
fold down bunk with safety straps
4.5 gal cassette toilet
air conditioner
dually swing out brackets
foam window boot
clear entry door window w snap cover
160 watt solar
fantastic fan vent cover
no batteries/will get own agm 31xt’s
want window above bunk
Extra cushions in lagun seating for footrest

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on TruckCamperWarehouse (http://truck

I see you posted on the Good Sam RV forum as well

My only comment is, NO, you cannot run the Honda in a closed compartment
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Oct 29 2017, 08:02 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Poodlemaster 187, take a look at NATCOA where Duncan has provided pictures and a great deal of insight on this model. Personally, I have been looking at this model since it's first year of production and it continues to improve. Northstar may be the only builder out there that has no negative feed back on the web. The owner, Rex has kept the design simple and avoided options that typically fail, he clearly believes in the acronym K.I.S.S. For more articles take a look at what Mike at Truck Camper Adventure has written about Northstar. On his site there is information on that refrigerator you listed as well as many other helpful suggestions. Good luck with your new TC and please post as many pictures as possible.
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Nov 25 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #4

Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

When is the camper coming, I am very interested. What truck do you drive? Let us know what you thought about Bill. Did you see Duncans pictures?
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Nov 27 2017, 09:03 AM
Post #5

One last thought about that Honda. I too have that generator and believe it's a good product, but, be aware that elevation will reduce your wattage. I noticed the last time I was camping when the Honda was plugged into my primary power cord of my trailer that the micro or the AC would draw the wattage down to the red zone on my plug in meter. The red zone starts at 110 watts. This occurred at about 8000 feet. Repeating the same situation at my home that sits at 1750 feet the wattage stayed just inside the green. Running any motor on low power, often called "Brown Out Conditions" will decrease it's life. I would plan on buying two Honda generators and hooking them together or simply buy the next model up. In previous posts Skyhammer provided the name of an inverter type generator that produces 2800 watts while almost matching the db rating of the Honda and it cost hundreds less.
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Dec 2 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #6

Hopefully you have already ordered your new camper. The 2019 models appear to be going up in price, there website now shows the base price at over 40K with no additional improvements. I don't get it, I paid 31500 before tax for a slide model with a basement and much larger tanks as well as more cabinets to hang clothes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:06 AM