post May 19 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,139
Favorite Truck Camper(s): bigfoot
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 07 toyota tundra
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: none

I want to increase the payload of my 07 Toyota tundra. I have been told about airbags and Rancho shocks. is this the best way? What about extra leaf springs? How much of a payload increase can i expect to get? Also I'm looking to get a used truck camper under 2000 lbs for around $5000. Any reccommendations? I would have to have a bathroom with a shower.

Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CCDAMEEK
post Aug 31 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,307
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2007 Starcraft 800 pop-up Truck camper
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4 DoubleCab Limited TRD 6'5
Type of Tiedowns used: still looking. Not sure what I will get yet. Suggestions??
Truck and Camper Setup: Have Firestone #2445 air suspension system ordered. Ordered 4- 800lb capacity folding metal sawhorses for at home storage.

QUOTE(tnrc4 @ May 19 2009, 05:56 AM)
I want to increase the payload of my 07 Toyota tundra. I have been told about airbags and Rancho shocks. is this the best way? What about extra leaf springs? How much of a payload increase can i expect to get? Also I'm looking to get a used truck camper under 2000 lbs for around $5000. Any reccommendations? I would have to have a bathroom with a shower.

Tony

Tony, I just bought a used starcraft pop-up truck camper. You should be looking at pop-up truck campers for your Tundra. I also drive a 2007 Tundra Dbl cab 4wd 5.7L. My camper's dryweight is 1500lbs, wet is 1700+. This puts it right at the Max GVWR for the Tundra. To my knowledge which is limited, No amount of airbags, leaf springs etc. will allow you to carry more then the manufacturer GVWR legally. My Tundra carried this camper home from the prior owners, a trip of 240 miles, like it was custom made for the truck. I couldn't even tell I was hauling it.
Just a heads up.
+Quote Post
mh45472
post Aug 31 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,941
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Elkhorn 8R
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC Sierra 2500 HD SRW 4 x 4 Ext. Cab Short box
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: GMC 2500 HD, Air bags, Happijacs, custom hitch box extension, Fleetwood Elkhorn 8R, pretty much loaded

Palomino & Northstar make nice pop-up TC's as well with the Palomino being less expensive at around $10,000 new nicely optioned. Regarding payload, remember there are other systems that are sized to your truck like brakes, tires, rims, drive train, etc. that can all fail if over loaded. Suspension is not the only system to be concerned about. Air bags, Rancho's, sway bars will help with handling but won't increase your GVWR.
+Quote Post
LindaH
post Aug 31 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,829
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Eagle Cap
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually (Cummins engine)
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Eagle Cap 950, 2 100-watt solar panels, 2 6-volt AGM batteries, 1000-watt pure sine wave inverter, Motosat Executive satellite TV dish, Torklift 5-step Glow Steps.

While air bags, extra leaf springs, or whatever may help with the ride, there is no way you can increase the payload rating.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:54 AM