Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,245
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance Model 780
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1985 Ford F250 Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 1985 Ford F250 Diesel with Lance Model 780

Hi,

my Name is Torsten i am new here and i am from Germany.

I get a old classic Lance Model 780 from 9/1985 that i like to restore but before i start this i search for all informations that i can get.

Today i check all funktions all work exept the Waterheater, because i dont know how to start this unit.

user posted image

the Heater that you can see in the Picture is what i found in my Camper but i have no Instructions for this Camper.

I turd the red knop on the top to Pilot than i press the red button on the left down, i hear Gas comming but i dont have a ignition Spark from the smal black unit. There is a switch that can switch on and Off its in ON-Position but nothing happends sad.gif

Can anyone tell me what i have to do to start this unit?

sorry for my bad English

Best regards from Germany

Torsten
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 31 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Torsten @ Oct 31 2016, 03:55 PM)
Hi,

my Name is Torsten i am new here and i am from Germany.

I get a old classic Lance Model 780 from 9/1985 that i like to restore but before i start this i search for all informations that i can get.

Today i check all funktions all work exept the Waterheater, because i dont know how to start this unit.

user posted image

the Heater that you can see in the Picture is what i found in my Camper but i have no Instructions for this Camper.

I turd the red knop on the top to Pilot than i press the red button on the left down, i hear Gas comming but i dont have a ignition Spark from the smal black unit. There is a switch that can switch on and Off its in ON-Position but nothing happends  sad.gif

Can anyone tell me what i have to do to start this unit?

sorry for my bad English

Best regards from Germany

Torsten

That is an Atwood unit. You can look them up on the net and give them a call with your model number and I bet they can supply you with the correct information.

You can send them an e-mail as well. Very nice folks to deal with....
+Quote Post
Torsten
post Nov 1 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #3

Hi SidecarFlip,

thank you for your Answer.

I do a research on the Internet and figure out what the smal black Elektronikpart is biggrin.gif Its an Elektronik Ingnition System!.

I clean up the switch with Contactspray, ad hey it works, if i switch it to the on Possion it starts to beeb and give some Ignition sparks, than i press the smal red Button and the Pilotflame comes on.

After it ligths on the Igniton stops direct. I depress the Button 10 Seconds and the Pilotflam stays on and i can switch it to heat.

The Unit works now how it should, now i only must look how to maintain the Unit and i will contact them to get knowlege about.

Regards from Germany

Torsten

+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Nov 2 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #4

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Torsten @ Nov 1 2016, 02:02 PM)
Hi SidecarFlip,

thank you for your Answer.

I do a research on the Internet and figure out what the smal black Elektronikpart is  biggrin.gif  Its an Elektronik Ingnition System!.

I clean up the switch with Contactspray, ad hey it works, if i switch it to the on Possion it starts to beeb and give some Ignition sparks, than i press the smal red Button and the Pilotflame comes on.

After it ligths on the Igniton stops direct. I depress the Button 10 Seconds and the Pilotflam stays on and i can switch it to heat.

The Unit works now how it should, now i only must look how to maintain the Unit and i will contact them to get knowlege about.

Regards from Germany

Torsten

Torsten... Don't run it except for a very, very short time without water in the tank, you'll ruin the heater. When you fill it, open the valve at the top of the tank and leave it open until water comes out steadily, the close it. That insures the tank is completely filled....

I had a Lance (like yours) so if you have any questions, just ask.
+Quote Post
Torsten
post Nov 3 2016, 07:12 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Nov 3 2016, 02:11 AM)
Torsten...  Don't run it except for a very, very short time without water in the tank, you'll ruin the heater.  When you fill it, open the valve at the top of the tank and leave it open until water comes out steadily, the close it.  That insures the tank is completely filled....

I had a Lance (like yours) so if you have any questions, just ask.

Hi, thank you very mutch for your help, i filled the Heater up before i test it. I think when i start the Restauration of this Camper there comes a lot of question blink.gif

I also test the rest of the Camperequitmend an all works, so its a good base for restauraiton i think, i will send some pictures later today!

I was a little dissapointet about the Lance Faktory, i send them a message and ask about instructions or Informations about the Type 780 Camper from 1985 to get a better idea about the Restauration but i never get a replay, so i think they are not interestet in the older units that they build in the 80's unsure.gif

regards from Germany

Torsten
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Nov 3 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #6

I was never too find of my Lance. One, it was heavy and two, the moulding leaked and caused water damage, which, I found out is a Lance trademark, they all leak and there is no excuse for shoddy workmanship. No excuse considering the price new.

Hopefully, you got it cheap enpugh.

One thing about RV's of any style... The all share the same components from the same manufacturers so replacing a broken component is simply a matter of not having to deal with the OEM at all but rather the sub contract builder. In your case it was Atwood for the HWH. Your gurnace is most likely a Suburban, your water pump will be a shure-flow, the refrigerator will be either a Norcold or Dometic and so on.
+Quote Post
Torsten
post Nov 3 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Hi,

you are right with the Componets!

Yes i get it cheap, it was for free wink.gif

But you are also right with the waterleaks, but its not mutch damage because it was most of his life storage dry and warm.

I cant upload Pictures today, but they will come.

My plan for next Spring is:

- remove all outside planking and take a look on the wooden struckture
- replace rotten or damage wooden Parts
- replace Gaslines (because they are not allowed in Germany)
- replace Gasbottle storage (i like to use one 5 Kilogramm Bottle and not two little ones)
- put a new planking in light composit plasticmaterial that is now used in Trailerbuild

A old friend of mine works in this Business so i can get the right material and glue to do this Job right and i think after this it's Waterproof and lighter as the 2600 lbs wetweight now.

About the weight you are also right the Sticker say's wet 2600 lbs but its no problem my F250 Diesel is allowed to load 2900 lbs over his own weight.

All the best

Torsten

+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Nov 5 2016, 08:34 AM
Post #8

Torsten'....

Keep in mind that payload on any truck is the combined weight in the bed plus the occupants, plus the fuel, plus every accessory.

Myself, I don't believe an F250 is stout enough for a dull size Lance without extensive modification to the suspension (air bags, helper leaves and sway bars), plus you need to take into account that the running gear (wheel bearings, brakes, transmission and engine) will be operating at the extreme end of their capacity.

I have an F350 myself and it's extensively modified with air bags, heavy duty shocks, steering damper, oversized sway bars, limited slip differentials (Detroit Tru-trak in the back, ARB in the front, added cooling for the transmission and oversize LT rated 10 ply tires.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:19 PM