Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> ?? on TorkLift Tie Downs

Nobody
post Oct 1 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

Hello All - I have been offered a complete set of TorkLift frame mounted camper tie downs, including lockable 'Fast Guns' turnbuckles, for a ridiculously low price. They've been on a 2002 F250 Super Duty 4X4, short bed, holding a Palomino Bronco camper. The front units mount by removing the front bolt from the leaf springs, slipping the tie down in place, replacing the bolt (thru the tie down), tighten it back to torque, & adjusting a 'set' bolt for proper angle. The rear set is made for a factory receiver. I have an after market EZ Lift receiver which has no holes in the ends so I'd hafta seriously modify the rear tie downs or acquire a different set of tie downs for the rear?? My question is regarding the front tie downs. Will these work on my long bed F250 Supercab, super duty truck? On the short bed truck they emerge from under the truck just in front of the wheel well and approx 12-14" behind the front of the bed. On my truck they'd emerge slightly further forward but a good 18-20" behind the front of the bed. The fast guns have plenty of 'reach' with chain links so that ain't a problem. I'm just wondering about the stability with a long bed truck. I was recently (weell, a couple of months ago) offered a front set of TorkLifts for my year model truck that mount on the truck chassis rail nearer the front of the bed. They'd involve 'fishing' the mounting bolts between the fuel tank & the chassis rail to bolt it on.The fellow also wanted considerably more for just the front mounts. My camper is a 2003 Sun Lite Eagle, 8.5' with toilet & I'm currently using Camper Clamper tie downs from Blackstone Mfg Co of Chicago. They clamp inside the bed rails & appear to do a good job of holding the camper (1550-1650#) but I've been looking for a set of frame mounted tie downs as I'd feel a little more confident in them. In my younger days I've used everything from 'stake pocket' tie downs to 'J' hooks bolted to the truck bed, to one piece frame mounted (don't remember the brand name), & they all worked for what I was hauling. I did the Alaska hiway with a 3K# camper using the frame mounted one piece, clamp-on tie downs Any tips, comments, recommendations welcome on the suitability of the TorkLifts I've been offered. TIA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Oct 11 2016, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

Almost 70 views & no comment(s) re my questions on the Torklift tiedowns I was offered. Total price was less than the 'Fast Guns' turnbuckles alone with the locks & 'Derringer' handles. I finally decided to decline the offer, mainly 'cause the rear tiedowns were totally unusable on my rig without significant modification, & I was not convinced that mounting the fronts on the front shackle of the leaf spring would insure adequate & sufficient stability on my long bed truck. I could probably have traded the rears for ones with a better fit but I'd still be left with the doubts about the front stability. The mount angle for the 'Fast Guns' was just too wide to suit me; they'd have pulled strongly toward the rear of the truck, & I'd have had to mount the rears waaay forward to equalize the rearward 'pull' of the fronts. Seemed like more trouble than it'd be worth for me, even with the very low price. I've had an Ad on Craigslist for several months off'n on, seeking a set of Torklifts or Happijacs to fit my truck. This is the 2nd set of Torklifts I've been offered in that time, the first was for fronts only. I may hafta continue using the Camper Clampers, or 'bite the bullet' & buy a new set for my truck. Anyone have any experience with the Happijac frame mounted tiedowns, i.e. how much trouble are they to mount on a Ford Super Duty where the fuel tank 'hangs' lower than the chassis rail?
+Quote Post
Electrojake
post Oct 15 2016, 06:57 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,215
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 RAM 3500
Type of Tiedowns used: TorkLift & FastGuns
Truck and Camper Setup: See Signature

QUOTE(Nobody @ Oct 1 2016, 03:51 PM)
Any tips, comments, recommendations welcome on the suitability of the TorkLifts I've been offered.

Bump!
Anybody?

--------------------
2016 RAM Longhorn 3500 Cummins/AISIN 4x4
2018 Northstar Arrow-U Truck-Camper
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 16 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

I've always used the HappyJac standard tie down's (spring loaded turnbuckles) with great success on both my Lance and the Backpack and I run the backpack off road...

They have never failed me and I've been in some serious off camber situations with the camper in the bed. I see no need to 'upgrade' tp spmething that will not do a better job for me.

If they are cheap, why not, but I'm very happy with my HappyJac's
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Oct 16 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #5

Thanks Flip. I've been hauling truck campers since the 1960s & have used about every kind of tiedowns including homemade. I've absolutely NO experience with the HappiJac tiedowns but I'm pretty sure I'd feel more comfortable with frame mount than with the Camper Clampers I have now. I've looked online at the pix of the HappiJac & still don't understand how they work. I have a 2003 SunLine 8.5' Eagle with toilet that weighs around 1650# with the AC, give or take a few #. Do you have any pix of the way the HappiJacs mount on your truck, & how difficult are they to install. Think you have a Ford F350; it shouldn't be all that different underneath from my 99 F250 supercab long bed. I'm pretty handy with tools but I'm 76, almost 77yrs old and don't work underneath vehicles as well as I used to. Would like to see how they look installed & in use, especially on the Palomino Backpack... TIA
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 16 2016, 10:07 PM
Post #6

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Nobody @ Oct 16 2016, 07:44 PM)
Thanks Flip. I've been hauling truck campers since the 1960s & have used about every kind of tiedowns including homemade. I've absolutely NO experience with the HappiJac tiedowns but I'm pretty sure I'd feel more comfortable with frame mount than with the Camper Clampers I have now. I've looked online at the pix of the HappiJac & still don't understand how they work. I have a 2003 SunLine 8.5' Eagle with toilet that weighs around 1650# with the AC, give or take a few #. Do you have any pix of the way the HappiJacs mount on your truck, & how difficult are they to install. Think you have a Ford F350; it shouldn't be all that different underneath from my 99 F250 supercab long bed. I'm pretty handy with tools but I'm 76, almost 77yrs old and don't work underneath vehicles as well as I used to. Would like to see how they look installed & in use, especially on the Palomino Backpack... TIA

I'm up there with you. I'm 66, almost 67. I'm still very active, I farm and ride motorcycles plus I own and operate a job shop where we ro short run machining and fabricating.

My HappyJac(s) install with a special (supplied by them) headed bolt through the rear step bumper that rake the rear rigid tie downs and the front set (spring pre-loaded, attach to ears set putboard of the front of the bed and connected to each other (and the frame of the truck) with supplied brackets, so, the system actually tie's to the frame in the front.

I got them when I bought the Lance 12 years ago and I've never had issue one. I looked at the frame mount stubs (Torque-Lift) I think, but those entail removing the ends when you wan t to use the truck for other things and I use my pickup as a fuel truck to fuel the tractors in the field.

For some reason I cannot post pictures, I'd love to post up some as I have many of both campers, both on and off the truck and camping pictures too.

I find the HappJac's to be simple to put on and off with gobs of adjustment (The same set fits both the Lance and the Backpack...

My SS1500 is loaded. The wife had to have a toilet and shower (females need those things) and it's very comfortable and easy to set up with the electric push button roof lift.

My Lance is just too high and has a high Cg which makes it hard to deal with off road plus at 13' high, I cannot negotiate unimproved roads in forested areas. The Palomino is much lower (8'3") so I can get down through trees and it has a much lower Cg which makes it easier to handle on road (in the wind) and off road too.

No AC unlike the Lance but I don't need ac anyway. You open the backpack up and it's like being in a screen tent.

The loaded weight of the Backpack with full bottles and FW tank plus the battery, sine wave converter, my 2000 watt inverter genny, all my tools and portable winch plus a full fridge is just over 2100# not including my wife and I, well within the capacity of my F350 1 ton diesel long bed.

I only run air bags and factory sway bars. The 350's suspension is plenty heavy anyway.

On the road, I don't know it's back there unless I look in the mirror and I'm averaging 17 mpg. The Lance drops my mileage to 12. Big difference with the Backpack.

If it wasn't for my wife, I would have gotten a Backpack with no shower or toilet (outside shower would work for me). Not the case however.

I was getting a bit concerned that there was no one posting on this forum. Seems like lots of posts on here but not too many recent ones.

I was on the Forest River owners forum but no TC's on there and I'm not a MH person. Don't fit my idea of an RV. If I want all that crap, I can stay home.... The main reason I avoid campgrounds like a bad cold. I like peace and serenity when I camp, not noisy kids, barking dogs and people wandering around.

I spent years sleeping in a tent and carrying everything on my back (I was an Eagle Scout), so this is luxury for me. Not quite the luxury of the Lance but much easier to deal with than the Lance plus, the camper fits in my garage. The Lance don't.

I bet your truck and mine are the same underneath (frame). I have a 1997 350, 7.3 4 wheel drive OBS. I bought it new and it's never seen snow or salt. Sleeps all winter in a heated garage... and I cannot afford a new one and I don't want one either.... Everyone that sees it wants to buy it...Not for sale.

I believe I'll sell the Lance. I'm pretty spoiled with the Palomino.

Glad you chimed in....
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Oct 17 2016, 10:04 AM
Post #7

Thanks again Flip. Sounds like you've got it all together. I've owned truck campers since the 1960s, from basic 8' cabovers, thru a 1987 RealLite with 11.5' box & side entry door. We did the Alaska hwy in 1993 with that rig & towed a small Toyota 4WD pickup. Left home (Arkansas) around Jun 30 & got back mid Sept. Had a great trip with no problems (weell, except the shop made tow bar brackets on the Toyota gave way in the Yukon. Had 'em repaired but they gave way again within a few miles so I chained 'em up & we 'limped' into Wrangell View, AK where a good 'stick man' rebuilt 'em completely. Had no more problems). Drove the pipeline 'haul road' in the Toyota to above the Arctic Circle from a base camp north of Fairbanks. That was interesting.

I owned for 29years an '85 F250 regular cab with 6.9L diesel that I bought new, & hauled various truck campers on it 'til Nov 2014 it was totaled along with a '95 SunLite pop-up camper pretty near identical to our current camper. Took me nearly a year and a half to find a replacement that I was willing to pay the price for. Early spring this year I bought a '99 F250 Super Duty supercab, long bed 7.3L diesel with 145K miles in pretty nice condition. Think it'll probably do as long as we want to continue camping. We mainly go to local lakes for a few weeks in the spring & I take it to our deer lease in SW Arkansas in November for 2-3 weeks. My brother has been trying to get me to take it to the lake for some fall crappie fishing but I ain't yet.

I think there is a way to post pix here on the forum direct from your computer but that may require reducing the size. I use Photobucket (free) to host my pix & just copy & paste the URLs of the photos I want to post here on the forum. It's worked pretty well for me. I don't have our current camper mounted on the truck yet but plan to put it on in the next week or so. I'll post a new avatar then of the truck & camper. The current avatar is of my old truck & camper at our deer camp just before I wrecked it.

If you have time (or inclination) you can send me pix of your rig with the HappiJac tiedowns direct to my email - handll@sbcglobal.net -
Thanks again for the info...
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 17 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #8

I'll do just that. I've been reading about Lance campers quite a bit and I read they have issues with water getting in and rot. Not understandable considering their cost. Mine has some issues as well and I thought it was just me. Obviously, it's not.

...and they are stupid heavy as well.

Anymore, about the only place I camp at is my property in northern Michigan. I own 57 acres of hardwood forest abutting the Manistee National Forest, just south of Big Rapids.

It's only accessable by seasonal road (hence the 4wd) with 2 stream crossings. I'll send you some pictures....

I have the National Forest on one side, State game land on the other and Ted Nugent's brother Rick on the other. Lots of deer. bear, wild turkeys and squirrels to hunt. I have 2 stationary blinds and 2 tree stands...and a bunch of morrels every spring.

I keep the freezers full every year.

Had squirrel stew on Sunday with cornbread for dinner.

I like to make 4 trips every spring and summer to camp and in the fall / winter to hunt, but I stay in a motel when hunting. The motel is close by and it's easier when dealing with game.

I also try, every other year, to go out west hunting, this is my off year. Last fall, it was Montana for Mule Deer, 2 years ago, New Mexico for elk. Next year will be a hog hunt, where, I'm not sure...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:07 AM