Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Fiberglass versus Aluminum Siding

CraigMac
post Apr 12 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,007
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2001 Chevy Duramax 2500 2002 Chevy Duramax3500 dually
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance 845 on Chevy 2500 crew cab duramax Allison Firestone ride-rite airbags

I was wondering whether anyone has an opinion on how durable fiberglass siding is versus aluminum siding on Lance campers. I am looking at two different campers, a 2006 with aluminum corrugated siding or a 2007 with flat fiberglass siding. The fiberglass model is half again more expensive with similar amenities. Is the aluminum more likely to leak, break down faster under similar conditions, etc? Thanks, Craig
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
elkhornsun
post Apr 15 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,741
Favorite Truck Camper(s): no favorite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 2500HD SRW Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: undecided
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy 2011 2500HD diesel with short bed. Plan to add Supersprings and air bags and Big Wig anti sway bar.

QUOTE(CraigMac @ Apr 12 2012, 12:53 PM)
I was wondering whether anyone has an opinion on how durable fiberglass siding is versus aluminum siding on Lance campers. I am looking at two different campers, a 2006 with aluminum corrugated siding or a 2007 with flat fiberglass siding. The fiberglass model is half again more expensive with similar amenities. Is the aluminum more likely to leak, break down faster under similar conditions, etc? Thanks, Craig

My experience with fiberglass is that generally it is heavier and prone to stress cracks and more difficult to repair if damaged. I suspect that Lance moved to fiberglass to cut costs as opposed to creating a more durable skin.

Used camper prices are often higher than they should be in terms of not reflecting the actual purchase price but instead the very high prices charged for current models. The 855 has a base price of over $27,000 but the 845 it replaced sold in 2008 for $17K and the 845 in 2001 sold for around $12K. I see used 845's that reflect a "used" markdown from a $27k figure when the owner probably spend closer to $15K for their camper. They may have added items but with campers and boats that does not really increase the used market selling price.

I mention the Lance 845 as I have seen them on the market in past months at asking prices from $5500 to $18,500 and the price usually does not correlate to the condition of the camper.
+Quote Post
Neverhome
post May 30 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,049
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350, V10 4 X 4, 8'bed, Super Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2010 Ford F 350, V10 , 4 X 4 , Super Cab. Lance 1999, 2011 with air and genny. Happijac Tiedowns.

QUOTE(elkhornsun @ Apr 15 2012, 09:54 PM)
My experience with fiberglass is that generally it is heavier and prone to stress cracks and more difficult to repair if damaged. I suspect that Lance moved to fiberglass to cut costs as opposed to creating a more durable skin.

Used camper prices are often higher than they should be in terms of not reflecting the actual purchase price but instead the very high prices charged for current models. The 855 has a base price of over $27,000 but the 845 it replaced sold in 2008 for $17K and the 845 in 2001 sold for around $12K. I see used 845's that reflect a "used" markdown from a $27k figure when the owner probably spend closer to $15K for their camper. They may have added items but with campers and boats that does not really increase the used market selling price.

I mention the Lance 845 as I have seen them on the market in past months at asking prices from $5500 to $18,500 and the price usually does not correlate to the condition of the camper.

I have a 1999 Lance 1125 with the fiberglass siding. It is starting to fade but I suspect it could be brought back with rubbing compound and a good wax buffed on. It does have a few stress cracks but more like spidering. I have not owned an aluminum model but I have to hazzard a guess they would be more prone to dents. I am also wondering if they would be hotter if camping in an open field. Both have pluses and minuses. If you are buying used it won't really matter as the condition and price most likely will be the deciding factor.

Neverhome
+Quote Post
post Jul 6 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #4

Group:
Member No.: 0

It seems that fiberglass sliders react very quickly to pressure and can get it easily cracked due stress, and might be tough to be repaired if damaged but they are very cost effective when compared to aluminum sidings which in turn can get rusty and tough to maneuver if not maintained properly.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:59 AM