SidecarFlip
post Apr 23 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Had an issue with my manual hubs on my 97 F350. The outer alloy dial broke and I called Warn for a replacement and sent them pictures of the failed part.

Their response was, one they don't sell any replacement parts for their hubs and two, they are only guaranteed if you have the original sales receipt.

I put them on 13 years ago and because I was under the impression that Warn's were guaranteed for life I probably tossed the receipt years ago.

The tech people at Warn when I called them were not very friendl their answer was...Go buy a new set.

So I did and not Warn's

Mile Marker. MM's also have a lifetime guarantee. Unlike Warn you don't need the original receipt and MM sells parts. I know I checked first.

Couple observations on my part:
The engagement spline on the Warn hubs are aluminum
The engagement splines on the MM's are CNC machined steel, black oxide coated and secured with a internal spring clip, the Warn hub is secured with 2 Phillips head screws.

The outer case (that secures to the outer hub where the dial is) on a Warn hub is light alloy, the MM's are polished stainless as it the selector dial

The Warn outer secures with 5 socket head caps, the MM uses 6
The Warn inner locks in the hub cavity with a single spring clip, the MM uses a spring clip and a spiral lock retainer.

Warn uses an oilite carrier bearing for the inner spline (that engages your spindle, the MM uses roller bearings.

Best part is, the MM hubs retail (at Autozone) for $175.00. The Warn Premium hubs are $220.00

I'm done with Warn forever. Contemplating a 12K winch for my gooseneck. Considered a Warn but it will be a MM now.

Any company that don't stand behind their products, especially when the tout a 'Lifetime Guarantee', far as I'm concerned should be out of business. While that may not happen, they will never get my business again.

In summation, if you have Warn hubs and you have an issue but no sales receipt, you are SOL.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Apr 24 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Good information, I remember a Warn hub exploding on the front end of my CJ at the worst possible time, the result was an out of control slide backwards for about 60' down the hill into a gully. The pair of briefs I was wearing that day were never the same. Just goes to show that sometimes the big name brands are not the best available. Reminds me of truck campers built by the top three manufacturers.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Apr 24 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Freespool @ Apr 24 2017, 09:24 AM)
Good information, I remember a Warn hub exploding on the front end of my CJ at the worst possible time, the result was an out of control slide backwards for about 60' down the hill into a gully.  The pair of briefs I was wearing that day were never the same.  Just goes to show that sometimes the big name brands are not the best available.  Reminds me of truck campers built by the top three manufacturers.

biggrin.gif

I didn't add but Warn sells no replacement parts either so as long as they work, all is good but if an issue arises, not good at all.

Mile Marker on the other hand sells all the internal parts online.

Warn's attitude will eventually cost them financially. Not like RV's where everybody and their mother is buying them. 4x4 parts like hubs, winches and bumpers are a niche market.

I was impressed by the build quality of the MM hubs versus the Warn hubs.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:00 AM