Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,865
Favorite Truck Camper(s): no
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: C7
Type of Tiedowns used: No
Truck and Camper Setup: Happijac

Hi,

I searched the post extensively but could not find any relatively new post talking about boondocking. We are family of four with kids age of 11 and 13 and enjoy hiking and seeing wildlife. We plan to visit in late June for 2 weeks. Other than reserving camping spaces in the Denali national park, we are planning just drive around and boondock as much as we can. People talked about the Milepost in this forum and I want to know if that will help in my plannings. We will of course stay in commercial camps for fill up etc. First time RV driver too!
We plan to drive to Homer, Seward, then go up to Denali, Fairbanks, Chena hotspring, then Delta, Tok back to Anchorage. Is that too much to ask for in two weeks?

Please help.
Thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k4153974-Boondocking_along_thw_way_300_miles_radius_of_Anchorage-Alaska.html

Product Design Video
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ermp
post Mar 4 2018, 03:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): undecided
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: looking to buy
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: in process

QUOTE(jensenbreck @ Feb 6 2018, 09:28 PM)
Hi,

I searched the post extensively but could not find any relatively new post talking about boondocking. We are family of four with kids age of 11 and 13 and enjoy hiking and seeing wildlife. We plan to visit in late June for 2 weeks. Other than reserving camping spaces in the Denali national park, we are planning just drive around and boondock as much as we can. People talked about the Milepost in this forum and I want to know if that will help in my plannings. We will of course stay in commercial camps for fill up etc. First time RV driver too!
We plan to drive to Homer, Seward, then go up to Denali, Fairbanks, Chena hotspring, then Delta, Tok back to Anchorage. Is that too much to ask for in two weeks?

Please help.
Thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k4153974-Boondocking_along_thw_way_300_miles_radius_of_Anchorage-Alaska.html

Product Design Video

I live in Alaska in the Interior and yes your itinerary is doable in two weeks with lots of miles and lots of seeing the vastness of this great state. The drive from Delta to Kenai/Soldotna is 500 miles and takes from 8 1/2 to 13 hours depending on traffic and weather. There is more traffic down in the Anchorage area and Kenai Peninsula that will slow you down. I recommend the stretch between Delta and Glennallen on the Richardson Hwy. Very beautiful and more scenic than Tok route. I promise you will not miss much in Tok! And there are several campgrounds along that route. It is the less traveled route.

There are few services and facilities in the Interior and especially on the less traveled side with Delta and Tok. So you might be just pulling over somewhere and dry camping unless in private RV park. Be ready to have enough supplies and to be self sufficient in all ways including in the event of mechanical issues etc.

Most importantly take your time and take in all the beauty that surrounds you. I would try and see Valdez too if you can. It is beautiful!!

Yes the Milepost is a valuable tool to plan. Hope you enjoy your Alaska visit.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Mar 4 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Our good friends completed a 3 month Alaska trip last summer with their TC and we got lots of pictures. They made many stops and camped off the road in a disbursed type situation, only using campgrounds for dumping, FW and restocking supplies. I suggest (from their experience and advice) to carry emergency fuel, a good spare tire and plenty of batteries for your camera.

May be going to Sitka, Alaska this fall for a fishing trip but I'll fly in and out. I have no desire to drive that far or deal with Canada.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:59 AM