Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Oh, how I hate being a newbie...., truck/camper/trailer match

omtay77
post Oct 10 2014, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,813
Favorite Truck Camper(s): in search of...
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chev 3500HD Long Box 4x4 SRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Planning on Torklift Hitch
Truck and Camper Setup: TBD

Hi Guys...

Quite a relief to find this forum...Sorry in advance for the lengthy post...but I want to ask some questions before I take the (50k$) plunge.

Not new to truck campers (had a '77 Four Wheel Hawk for many years on an F-150), but the time has come to upgrade.

Got a great deal on a 2011 Palomino Bronco 1251SB (pop up), and after wallowing/staggering the 90 miles home from Bellingham to Seattle, it really underscored the fact that I need a new truck.

Getting ready to order a new one...most likely a Chev 3500 SRW, short box (I've been a Ford guy most of my life, but...long story). I thought about a 250/2500, but would be flirting with max ratings. Also planning on pulling a trailer on occasion, so just decided to step it up and not have to worry, or spend additional $ on booster springs, inflatables, etc.

Camper spec; is a little under 1800 dry, so rounded up to 3000 loaded (myself and fiancé, fishing gear, food, water, etc), which is well under the "max payload" for the truck (spec is a little over 4000).

Trailer; is an 18' flatbed, which the factory spec says is 1700...with box of gear, rounded up to 2000. I'll be trailering an old jeep, which the data plate says is 2243 (God only knows if that's accurate...I haven't weighed it yet), so, with gear, etc, will round up to 3000.

So, a couple of questions...

first, assuming I'm figuring the weights correctly, will the 3500 with SRW carry/tow safely and without excess strain on transmission/suspension, etc?

second...the camper will extend apprx 18 inches beyond bed of truck. Is there a particular type of hitch I should be looking for in order to compensate for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.

tom b.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:30 AM