IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Truck Camper Payload versus Max Payload, Maximum Weight of Camper is less tahn Ma

taberski
post Jan 24 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,523
Favorite Truck Camper(s): TBD
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2014 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab Dually Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: N/A
Truck and Camper Setup: Considering an Arctic Fox 990

Last summer, I purchased a 2014 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW, 4x4 Crew-cab with the Cummins diesel and the stock automatic transmission.

According to the RAM Brochure (2014 RAM Pickups), my truck has a maximum payload of 5,830#.

But according to the 2014 RAM Builder's Guide (under 2014 Camper Guide), the maximum weight of a camper I can place on my truck is 4,631# - an approximate 1,200# reduction!

Can anybody explain the discrepancy in these two numbers? I suspect that part of this is based on the estimated weight of passengers (5 seating locations in my case - Ford uses 150# per position) which would account for 750#, but that still does not explain the additional ~450#.

We are considering the purchase of an Arctic Fox 990, but I'm discovering that the estimated wet weight (4,375# - not including any of our "stuff"), may not leave as much margin as one would expect.

I know plenty of people successfully haul these campers (and larger). I'm just trying to understand how it is that I could potentially exceed the limits of my truck with this camper.

Thank you,

Kevin Taberski
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dubob
post Jan 25 2015, 08:54 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,605
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2011 Lance 992
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Ext Cab, 6.0L
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac w/ Qwik-Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: TC pulled behind the truck on a gooseneck trailer

Fill up the fuel tank, put the number of people in the truck that will be in there when hauling the camper, and go weigh the truck on a CAT scale (you will find them at a lot of truck stops). Subtract the weighed total weight from the GVWR weight shown on a decal/plate somewhere on your truck. This is the true weight of a TC you can safely put on the truck. Remember that most of us TC folks will say that 1,000 pounds is the amount of weight you will add to the TC for normal use/camping. This 1,000 pounds accounts for food, gear, water, propane, etc.

Assuming you find a total truck weight that gives you a payload of say 5,200 pounds, then you could safely haul around a TC that has a DRY weight of about 4,200 pounds.

--------------------
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." - Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." = Dr. Seuss

user posted image
+Quote Post
taberski
post Jan 29 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #3

Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2014 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab Dually Diesel

QUOTE(dubob @ Jan 25 2015, 07:54 AM)
Fill up the fuel tank, put the number of people in the truck that will be in there when hauling the camper, and go weigh the truck on a CAT scale (you will find them at a lot of truck stops).  Subtract the weighed total weight from the GVWR weight shown on a decal/plate somewhere on your truck.  This is the true weight of a TC you can safely put on the truck.  Remember that most of us TC folks will say that 1,000 pounds is the amount of weight you will add to the TC for normal use/camping.  This 1,000 pounds accounts for food, gear, water, propane, etc.

Assuming you find a total truck weight that gives you a payload of say 5,200 pounds, then you could safely haul around a TC that has a DRY weight of about 4,200 pounds.

I understand the use of GVWR and CAT scales and plan to step through the entire process once the weather clears. My question relates to the Camper Guides published by the manufacturers and why the Camper Payloads are lighter than the max payloads - and ultimately less than the GVWR of the truck.

Thank you,

Kevin
+Quote Post
Electric Don
post Feb 16 2015, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,297
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 805
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Basic turnbuckles
Truck and Camper Setup: Camper is 8 feet, designed for short box truck.

I have also noticed that the "camper guides" show a reduced carrying capacity (the Ford guide is the same). I suspect that this may have to do with the fact that the load is no longer sitting inside the box but now extends well above, and also out the sides, front and back of the box. This obviously affects stability, so maybe this is the rationale.
+Quote Post
taberski
post Feb 16 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #5

We ordered an Arctic Fox 990 last week. I believe I now have a fairly good idea of the estimated weight (a lot!). The base weight does not include any of the options - including the mandatory Fox Value Pack. The weight stated on the back of the model camper included this base weight plus the weight of water and propane (3426#).

Total weight of our camper (estimated) will be around 4,500# - give or take.

I weighed my truck on a CAT scale last week - just the truck, full tank of fuel, no tail gate, tie downs, rubber mat or suspension upgrades (i.e. just the stock truck less the tailgate) and it weighs 8,460# (5,060# front, 3,400# rear). My truck has a stated GVWR of 14,000# so I will have approximately 1,000# of margin prior to adding any of our stuff - including my wife and I. So in the end, we will be fairly close to the GVWR of my truck. I was hoping I'd have more margin - so it goes.

I plan to weigh again when I receive my camper (i.e. with propane, batteries, tie-downs and mat, but without water). I may then go back and weigh with just the water added. Finally, I will weigh loaded up and ready to go. Once I get that done, I'll post a fresh thread as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in this topic.

With regard to the manufacturer truck camper payloads, I'm not sure I will ever understand how the manufactures arrive at their ratings.

Kevin
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM