IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Blackwater tank gauge..., Is it fixable?

emcvay
post May 11 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,497
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 Crew cab long box 6.4l 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2010 F350 PS CC LB SRW with AF990

So after using my camper for two weekends (with no hose to drain the tanks) I watched it climb to 2/3rds full on the gauge. When I got my new hose in and dumped the tank I was surprised to see that it's still reading 2/3rds. The grey water and fresh water gauge seems to work though the battery gauge seems off a little (goes full on utility power but never shows more than 2/3rds - 3/4ths on battery only).

Is it possible to fix this issue?

I don't really think it's much of a problem since I know I won't fill the tank in a weekend or two when I'm alone but it might be nice to actually see the real level when my wife comes along or we have the grandkids.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post May 11 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Builders use immersion sensors to gauge tank levels because they are cheap but cheap float type sensors tend to get fouled with poop and give false readings. You need to one, use single ply TP, flush the tank out after use and use a digesting product like Campa-Chem by Thetford and even with all that, the sensors will be vague.

On your next unit ('cause you aren't gonna spend the money on this one, get a SeeLevel gauge set. They aren't cheap but they use external inductive sensors so no poop issues and thew SeeLevel system also has a Bogart Industries style battery monitor built in. Very accurate.

IOW the stoc stuff is basically crap.

Sure way to tell how full your black tank is, is to open the toilet flush valve (flush the toilet with the water pump off and take a look see. Ain't no trap, it's a straight shot, you can 'see' the level..

Or, when the level gets all the way up, she won't flush anymore. It will be FULL to the top...

Always dump your black and then the grey. The grey flushes out your stinky slinky.

SeeLevel is what Prevost uses and so do I. Quality isn't cheap and neither is accuracy.
+Quote Post
Chief 2
post May 12 2017, 05:00 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,469
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 Chevrolet 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Quick Loads
Truck and Camper Setup: 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 Edge Attitude, 4" exhaust, Airaid Air Intake, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig, Cabover struts. Lance 1172 loaded with 200 watt Renogy solar and Zamp controller

I don't rely on my sensors either. The black tank is the worst. I have used/tried all different types of cleaners and home remedies only to have very short lived success with the gauges accuracy. If you don't have one try installing a tank flush and just really flush it out really well when dumping. I also found using a see through elbow at the dump drain was helpful to see that all the nasty stuff had come out. Another way to tell if the tank is reaching maximum capacity is that when you flush it will burp. We have a 28 gal tank in our TC so the wife and I can go for a week without dumping.
+Quote Post
emcvay
post May 12 2017, 07:52 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,497
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 Crew cab long box 6.4l 4x4
Truck and Camper Setup: 2010 F350 PS CC LB SRW with AF990

Thanks all. Kinda what I figured.

All the paperwork I have doesn't tell me the tank sizes but a post I found on a 99 said 14 (grey) and 12 (black)...which would make sense in that I used it longer than planned and it wasn't full yet (just me using it) -- that was two weekends of use, one 3 day and one 2 day (so 5 nights).
+Quote Post
towpro
post May 12 2017, 08:11 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,281
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 15 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 Arctic Fox 990

I have actually had pretty good luck with my sensors.
both my campers have black tank flush system but my last pickup camper did not.
flush, flush, flush after each dump. I can run flusher for 15 minutes at times before the black tank gauge will go down.

My 5th wheel manufacturer recommended putting 12 gallons of water in black tank, add one bottle of drano and drive it around, than flush it.

would love to try the SeeLevel gauge set.

as far as your battery gauges, all that system does is check your battery voltage. you have have a bad battery.

+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post May 12 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #6

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(towpro @ May 12 2017, 08:11 AM)
I have actually had pretty good luck with my sensors.
both my campers have black tank flush system but my last pickup camper did not.
flush, flush, flush after each dump. I can run flusher for 15 minutes at times before the black tank gauge will go down.

My 5th wheel manufacturer recommended putting 12 gallons of water in black tank, add one bottle of drano and drive it around, than flush it.

would love to try the SeeLevel gauge set.

as far as your battery gauges,  all that system does is check your battery voltage. you have have a bad battery.

SeeLevel gauges are not that expensive. Matter of fact the sponsor of this sight has the readout panel on sale right now. You still have to buy the sensor strips. The only drawback is you have to have access to the tanks (sides) to fit them and some tanks (sides) are not readily accessable. One thing about the external sensors, no poop pile will give you a false reading... You can get them with a propane monitor too.
+Quote Post
Nobody
post May 12 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

On the immersion type sensors (which is probably what you have on your camper. given its year of construction) many times the sensors can become wrapped with wet toilet paper, or a feces build-up on the screw type probes. The only way I know of to alleviate such a situation is turn off the pump or disconnect the city water connection. The toilet should sit directly on top of the black water tank. Open the toilet valve & look directly down into the tank (a powerful flashlight may be necessary). In some tanks you may be able to see the immersion probes & any build-up that may be causing your false reading. Most RV dealers sell a device (usually a plastic wand) that screws directly onto a water hose & sprays water to the side (90 degree angle) directly on the probes. Examining the bottom/sides, outside, of the black water tank should help you locate the probes, then you can place the device in the correct position to flush any build-up off the probes (Otherwise you may have to rotate the device several times to get the water spray in the correct position to clear the probes). You should then be able to get a correct reading on your monitor. I've had to spray a strong stream directly on the probes to 'clear' 'em a time or two... The flushing operation may have to be done several times to clear the probes.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post May 13 2017, 05:47 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

"Immersion probes" are a fancy name for bolts through the sides of the tanks. If you have access your black water tank and install a sprayer connected to fitting on the sidewall it goes a long ways in resolving the issue. Sprayers are super easy to install provided you have access. It does help if you leave a couple of gallons of water in the tank to swish around while you travel. smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post
MiCasaLay
post May 31 2017, 10:49 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,553
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Depends...
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2012 Ford F-550 Lariat DRW 4X4 Crew Cab; 1989 Dodge Dakota Sport Convertible
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: F-550 with camper body; Eagle Cap 1165 camper.

Has anyone tried dumping bags of ice into the black tank (through the toilet) and then driving around for a while - supposedly the ice provides some "scrubbing" action.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post May 31 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(MiCasaLay @ May 31 2017, 11:49 AM)
Has anyone tried dumping bags of ice into the black tank (through the toilet) and then driving around for a while - supposedly the ice provides some "scrubbing" action.

"Supposedly" is the key term here. Has there anybody not tried ice cubes? I would suggest that a couple of gallons of water swishing around while you travel works as well, but there is certainly no harm using the ice. By the same token, simply holding the commode valve open while looking down into the tank is a "no fuss, no bother" alternative to determine fullness that costs nothing at all and works very well. smile.gif

Steve
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post May 31 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ May 31 2017, 03:44 PM)
"Supposedly" is the key term here. Has there anybody not tried ice cubes? I would suggest that a couple of gallons of water swishing around while you travel works as well, but there is certainly no harm using the ice. By the same token, simply holding the commode valve open while looking down into the tank is a "no fuss, no bother" alternative to determine fullness that costs nothing at all and works very well. smile.gif

Steve

Thats how I do it. Fool proof method. If you don't look, at some point the sewage won't flush anymore.... IOW, full crapper.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post May 31 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #12

I do know my next TC will have a cassette toilet and no black tank at all..
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:59 PM