IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Boondocking in Newfoundland, Is it allowed? Where?

aqualung
post Apr 21 2011, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

I'm planning a trip this summer to the rock (NFLD) and was wondering if boondocking is allowed anywhere on the island. I'm plan to arrive in Port aux Basque and travel up through Gros Morne National Park and north along the Viking Trail. I know there are lots of provincial and private campsites along the way but can you just stop along the highway somewhere and spend the night without Johnny Law giving you a ticket?

Also, what's the availability of diesel fuel up there? Do all the stations have it or are they few and far between?

Thanks
Aqualung
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Night_Sailor
post Jun 27 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,143
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Barth
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: k3500 Siverado
Type of Tiedowns used: jjj
Truck and Camper Setup: kkk

QUOTE(aqualung @ Apr 21 2011, 01:00 PM)
I'm planning a trip this summer to the rock (NFLD) and was wondering if boondocking is allowed anywhere on the island. I'm plan to arrive in Port aux Basque and travel up through Gros Morne National Park and north along the Viking Trail. I know there are lots of provincial and private campsites along the way but can you just stop along the highway somewhere and spend the night without Johnny Law giving you a ticket?

Also, what's the availability of diesel fuel up there? Do all the stations have it or are they few and far between?

Thanks
Aqualung

I don't believe that is allowed, but if you ask the local Provinical Police, and they will tell you, "you can't do it" while at the same time recommend places. "It is not allowed, but if it was me, and I wanted to be left alone, I'd go over to this spot by the river." You can also buy a meal and ask if you can camp in their parking lot and it is never a problem.

There is diesel. I was not in a diesel vehicle, so I can't speak for how much there it. I'd bet it is not a problem if you fill up and ask where the next station is. Not all stations have it. I would not take any chances on running low--anywhere, not just up north, and Sundays could be a real problem finding fuel most places are closed. If it is night time, give up and wait for Monday.

--------------------
NIGHT SAILOR
2001 K3500 D/A Silverado
1967 BARTH Camper
1983 BMW R100RT
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Jul 3 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

Thanks Night Sailor. I'm in NFLD right now and decided to stay in the parks. I'm in Trout River right now and have WiFi for internet access and its free so I can't complain. So far I've found diesel most places but I do fill up when I find it just in case. I'll be heading north to St Anthony tomorrow so we'll see what the diesel situation is along the way. I know they have it in St Anthony and Rocky Harbour so I should be fine.
+Quote Post
Lucy Goose
post Jan 19 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,423
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC 3500HD
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: GMC 3500HD, Lance 855S, Airbags

QUOTE(aqualung @ Jul 3 2012, 07:38 PM)
Thanks Night Sailor. I'm in NFLD right now and decided to stay in the parks. I'm in Trout River right now and have WiFi for internet access and its free so I can't complain. So far I've found diesel most places but I do fill up when I find it just in case. I'll be heading north to St Anthony tomorrow so we'll see what the diesel situation is along the way. I know they have it in St Anthony and Rocky Harbour so I should be fine.

I will be doing this same trip myself sometime soon. Any info you have would be most appreciated as you learn along the way!

Thanks,

LG
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Jan 19 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #5

LG

There so much to see and do I don't know where to start. Definitely go see the Newfoundland and Labrador website to check things out. Also make sure you order the free travel guide and map. Here's the link:

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/

For us the trip really started when we got on the ferry from North Sydney Nova Scotia to Port Aux Basques. Its a 6 hour ferry ride and best done during the day. If you take an over-night ferry make sure you get a cabin, if you intend to sleep that is.

Our first night on NFLD was at JT Cheeseman Provincial Park, about 5 minutes from the ferry just outside of Port Aux Basques. Its basically boondocking but there are facilities to use (showers, toilets, etc) but the water was not potable so make sure you bring your own.

We then stayed in Trout Lake campground which is part of Gros Morne National park. What a beautiful spot. Its well out of the way but the scenery is stunning. The village of Trout Lake is a typical working fishing villiage, the people were super friendly. We were there on Canada Day (July 1st) and were treated to fireworks and a boardwalk party with live music. There's a restaurant right on the boardwalk too, we didn't try it but we heard great things about it. Its the only one in town so you can miss it. From Trout Lake there's a bunch of day hikes to do all within a 1/2 hour of the campground. There's also a Canada Parks visitor center on the way near Woody's Point. Right at the center there's a day hike with a fantastic over-look. Its worth the time but it is a bit of a hike. The over-look looks out over Bonne Bay towards Gros Morne Mountain and across the bay to Neddy Harbour and Rocky Harbour.

After the stay in Trout Lake we drove up to St Anthony and stayed at Pistolet Bay Provincial Park. Boondocking again but with facilities. The scenery wasn't great in the park but the camp sites were nice. Just watch out for the moose, they're everywhere, we almost ended up with a Bullwinkle hood ornament. Oh ya.. don't travel at night in NFLD, only during daylight. That way you can see the moose on the road (no joke!).

In the St Anthony area go see L'Anse aux Meadows which is the first known settlement in North America, at least from Europeans. Its a viking village with live actors who live on site... sometimes. Also from St Anthony there are whale watching tours and if you're lucky you'll see some icebergs. We really lucked out and saw a huge berg that was grounded for several weeks. It was in over 500ft of water and sitting on the bottom... absolutely massive. Of course typical NFLD humour... they played the theme to Titanic as we approached the berg. Oh and there were several pods of Humpback whales and Mink whales to enjoy too. You're virtually guaranteed to see whales, icebergs not so much unless you go in April or May. It takes the better part of a day to drive to St Anthony from Gros Morne but its worth it. Plan on staying a few days at most.

One other thing to say about the St Anthony area is that its really far north. Much further than you would think. In July when we were there we were lucky to get 4 hours of darkness at night. It seemed like dusk went on for hours and then before you knew it, it was dawn.... which also went on for hours. Plenty of daylight to do what you want. We were BBQing at 10pm watching the sun go down with a nice cold "Black Horse Ale" in hand .. pronounced Black'Orse. Not too many "H's" used up there.

After St Anthony we drove back down to Gros Morne but this time stayed in Rocky Harbour at the KOA which has full facilities. There are a couple of National Park campsite in the area too, some right on the ocean in the northern part of the park. I'd stay at these if you can, fantastic views. Rocky Harbour is a fairly large town and has everthing you might need. The main Gros Morne National Park visitor center is there as well. Stop at the center to get details on the park.

When in Rocky Harbour there's many things to do. There's a marine center in Norris Point to see, you'll have to go see Western Brook Pond (Unesco World Heritage site) and take the boat tour. There's lots of hiking (easy and hard) if you're into that, there's live entertainment at the local pubs and again the people are super friendly - I think that goes for all Newfoundlanders. At least everyone I've ever met.

Oh if you're the outdoors enthusiast and enjoy hiking, you've got to do the Gros Morne Mountain hike. I had to do this one on my own and its strenuous but the views you see from the summit are worth it!

In all we spent two weeks in the north of NFLD and that wasn't anywhere near enough time to do what we wanted to. On our next trip we'll head to the east and south to see what we can see. I could go on and on but really Newfoundland is a must see.... amazing place!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:52 PM