post Feb 2 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,387
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1995 Ford F-350XLT Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350XLT:Airbags, Happijac Tiedowns, 1997 Lance 880

Howdy Howdy! Y'all can call me Dorado. I'm the new guy here and wanted to introduce myself before I jump in asking a bunch of questions. I've recently bought my first camper and I'm trying to get it set up for camping and shenanigans this spring.
My rig is a 1995 Ford F-350XLT crew cab that I've added airbags to the rear end and the Happijac tiedown system to the bed. I'm the second owner of a 1997 Lance 880 camper that's been kept indoors when not in use. Other than the plastic yellowing and the style being out of date it's in remarkably good condition. I've been cleaning it up and updating some of the systems on it including replacing all internal lights with LEDs, installing a small flat screen TV, and updating the very ugly linoleum with some vinyl tiles. I've just about got it set up the way I want it but I've run into a bit of an issue. That is, power.
This did not come with a generator. I'm looking at getting a Yamaha EF2800i. That should be more than enough to run the factory A/C (I live in Texas), charge the battery, and more. The problem is that it won't fit through the door of the generator bay. The bay door is 24"x15 1/2" the generator is 16 3/4" tall. I was wondering what y'all are doing and if my idea on what to do would work.
What I'm thinking of is to cut the top and bottom of the frame off and weld on a flat bar replacement for those sections. The pipe frame looks to be about 1" in diameter so I may get enough clearance to fit, albeit a tight fit.
I was wondering if that would work or what your experiences have been.

Later on I'm planning on supplementing the generator with solar panels.

Thanks for any and all suggestions
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Feb 2 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Welcome to the board Dorado. Space and power are obviously your two primary concerns. I would test the generator to insure it will operate everything you have. Depending on what AC unit you have you might need a little more power. AC units typically come in 9K, 11K and 13.5 sizes. Some campers prefer to use two Honda 2000's, they can be hooked together using a factory jumper and will normally run a 13.5 AC and still have a little power available to run something else. Weather you modify the generator or your camper or just choose to carry the generator some where else make it a point to learn how to be well organized. Having extra space will never be a problem you will have to deal with.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 2 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Had / Have a Lance similar to yours 918 Lite to be exact and I had but sold a Yamaha 2800I and it will run your ac but not on economy mode (not enough balls) to start the compressor).

I also have the generator bay and it would not fit either so I just set it in the back door when traveling and called it good. I put a second battery in the generator compartment.

At least you have enough truck to haul it with...lol

Looks like my Lance may be going to Germany in the near future. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 2 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #4

Thanks guys.
I thought about getting a pair of the Honda 2000s however I can't afford that. That's why I was looking into a single higher powered generator. On top of that two would not fit inside the generator bay. The single Yamaha ef2800i fits except that it's a little over an inch too tall. I thought I could just toss it into the back of the camper and take it out when I get where I'm going. If I do that then I can use the generator bay for an extra battery or two and possibly other storage such has a fuel container. But I was really hoping I could use the generator bay for it.

Something else while it's on my mind. I'm also looking at a Champion generator. https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equip...m_cd_al_qh_dp_t
I think I can remove the wheels, handle and possibly even the outer tube frame and replace the frame with angle iron. That should make it small enough to fit through the door unless the gas tank is more than 24" long. I can make handles to make it easier to lift.
Would that work?
I've heard that the Champion generators are a fairly reliable alternative.
+Quote Post
towpro
post Feb 3 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,281
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 15 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 Arctic Fox 990

you could also mount any generator you wanted on a front rack. if your worried about security, get a box for the rack. I got my eye on a nice plastic oen from Tractor Supply for $65.00

I can run my 990 Arctic Fox AC off of one Honda 2000. I have not added the solar to the Arctic Fox yet, but on my last Wolf Creek (same AC) I would turn off my battery charger and I could run the honda on ECO and still start my 9K Coleman AC. doing that I would still have to run the satellite system off of a power invertor because at AC startup on Eco, the AC voltage drops enough that the satellite system would reboot. I was not worried about charging batteries with generator because my Solar will take care of that.

I don't think my Honda will fit straight into my generator compartment door (too tall) but its thinner than the yamaha. I recall I have to turn it sort of on its side to get it through door than it stands up once inside the cabinet. But I do not run it inside this cabinet, its only for storage some times. (If I have my enclosed motorcycle trailer behind me, the generator is inside this trailer.

If you knew someone who had a Honda you could always test one to see if it worked. I think they are 2000w start and 1800 continues. you just have to be consensus your on generator and first switch Refreg and Hot water over to gas, then remember you can run the AC OR the microwave, but not both the same time.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 3 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #6

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Cuple things..

One: The Champions are good units with an outstanding warranty and service, what I have now instead of the Yamaha. I have a Champ 2000 Inverter which is sized fine for my uses.

However the bigger Champ's are had to move around (small wheels) and I believe for your use, the Yamaha will be the best choice (2800I open frame).

I'm against putting any inverter in a front mount rack on a pickup and this is why... The generator has sensative electronic components that don't like water intrusion and no matter how well you cover a front mounted unit, driving in the rain will fore water into the electronics and could cause a failure (If you read the instruction manuals online on any inverter genny, they all expressly state not to was the unit inside with water. 'Far as i'm concerned, 'nuff siad on that.

Additionally, IMO, Honda's are overpriced. Eespecially when you can get almost the same specs for half of the Honda's asking price in another brand with a comparable warranty and electrical specs.

....and I've had some quality issues with Honda engines in the past. Carburetors and crankshafts have been defective. That don't bode well with mt with a Honda genny.
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 3 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #7

I definitely don't want to mount the generator to the front of my truck. Too risky. I'd be more apt to mount it to the rear except I'm planning on taking my boat with me quite often.

I too think that the Hondas are overpriced. The Yamaha is my first choice but like I said I'm an inch or so from being able to fit it. The Champion I'm a couple of inches from being able to fit, but there's a lot gaps that I can take up and make it fit. The Yamaha does not have wheels but is 25lbs lighter than the Champion. The Champion is much more powerful though at 4000/3500watts vs the Yamaha's 2800/2500. The Champion is also not an inverter. I don't know how problematic that is. I don't have a microwave or electric water heater. I also won't have many electronics probably just my phone. Really all I'm worried about running is the A/C, refrigerator, and TV. The TV is only for when the weather's bad.
Just how important is having an inverter generator? Does anyone make something that turns a regular generator into an inverter genny?

My first choice is the Yamaha. It's the closest one to fitting inside the bay. It also has all the features I really care about.
+Quote Post
towpro
post Feb 3 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,281
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 15 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 Arctic Fox 990

here is an example

user posted image
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 3 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #9

That would never work for me. One' GM's have noted front end issues with the steering boxes and pittman arms and two, I'm not sure it's legal everywhere.

The only thing I would consider mounting on the front is my spare tire, in fact I'm going to do just that because dismounting the spare from under that back of a pickup is an exercise in busted knuckles and swear words. been there did that last summer.

But then I have a Ford too, not a GM.
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 3 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #10

That wouldn't work for me either. I'll be sharing this with my father and possibly brother. While I'm not a problem, both of them have the habit of tailgating and creeping up on people at stop lights. My brother also has problems with driving a one ton truck like a sports car.
Mounting the spare to the front sounds like a decent idea though. The previous owner of my truck removed the spare carrier from underneath the truck so I don't have one. I may look into that. If nothing else I'll see if I can find me a used factory spare tire carrier. I need something, and the factory one is better than not having one at all.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 3 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #11

If your front suspension is stock, Curt will have a Class 5 front receiver for it and then you add their spare tire carrier and viola, the spare is on the front.

You'd need the Class 5 front receiver to mount a front carrier for a genny anyway.

My truck has modified front suspension, it's a 350 4x4 with a front spring flip so nothing out front is factory. I'm fabricating my own Class 5 receiver for the front and a custom tire carrier too. I'm designing the carrier to swing down to the ground to dismount the spare. I already have a polished aluminum rim for the front. Have to order a tire (Michelin) yet. No issue for me, I own and operate a custom machine and fab shop. Besides, I like fiddling with stuff when I'm not busy with customer stuff.
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 3 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #12

I don't think I want to add that much cost to my rig. I'd rather spend that money on traveling and camping. That's one of the reasons I'm set on using the generator bay. I don't have a custom fab shop but I am a good welder and can fab stuff up myself.
As far as my generator problem is concerned. I think I'll have to go see one in person and measure it to find out what I can and can't do. There's not much where I live, so I'll have to make a trip out of it and travel for a couple of hours to find one. That's why I asked here. I'm more than comfortable with modifying the generator to fit my needs. I just don't have one here that I can see. I'll more than likely end up buying one off of Amazon.
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 5 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #13

So, I found a generator that'll fit and more than powerful enough. The Champion 46597 3500 Watt generator. Problem is, it's not an inverter. Is that a problem?
I won't have many electronics other than the TV. My camper was built before inverter generators. I'll probably only charge my phone, if that. I'm really only wanting it to run the A/C an to use on job sites.
What I'm wondering is, if I can use a surge protector to protect my electronics.
I don't have a microwave, won't get one either.
Won't have a computer.
No tablet.
Fridge, A/C, and charging the battery is all I'm really concerned about.
Do I need an inverter generator? or will a regular generator work well enough?
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 5 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Dorado @ Feb 5 2017, 02:21 PM)
So, I found a generator that'll fit and more than powerful enough. The Champion 46597 3500 Watt generator. Problem is, it's not an inverter. Is that a problem?
I won't have many electronics other than the TV. My camper was built before inverter generators. I'll probably only charge my phone, if that. I'm really only wanting it to run the A/C an to use on job sites.
What I'm wondering is, if I can use a surge protector to protect my electronics.
I don't have a microwave, won't get one either.
Won't have a computer.
No tablet.
Fridge, A/C, and charging the battery is all I'm really concerned about.
Do I need an inverter generator? or will a regular generator work well enough?

If you ever plan on camping in a camp ground with other campers around, but no shore power, you want an inverter for the low noise level. In fact, many camp grounds outlaw the noisy 3600 rpm screamers. Myself, I don't want one. I can run my inverter sitting in front of the truck, in the woods, and not hear it inside the camper. It will run your stuff fine but will be very noisy....and the inverters are easy on fuel, the screamer isn't.

I'd be considering mounting a spare. Going camping, especially off road anywhere without a spare tire and rim is asking for disaster and/or a huge tow bill. A pickup with no spare. especially on with a slide in in the bed is a big NO.

The house battery(s) charge through the on board converter and or your truck when plugged into it. Shore powering the unit with a genny will power the inverter and charge your battery(s) too.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Feb 5 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Feb 3 2017, 09:09 PM)
If your front suspension is stock, Curt will have a Class 5 front receiver for it and then you add their spare tire carrier and viola, the spare is on the front.

You'd need the Class 5 front receiver to mount a front carrier for a genny anyway.

My truck has modified front suspension, it's a 350 4x4 with a front spring flip so nothing out front is factory.  I'm fabricating my own Class 5 receiver for the front and a custom tire carrier too.  I'm designing the carrier to swing down to the ground to dismount the spare.  I already have a polished aluminum rim for the front.  Have to order a tire (Michelin) yet.  No issue for me, I own and operate a custom machine and fab shop.  Besides, I like fiddling with stuff when I'm not busy with customer stuff.

You definitely don't need a class 5 front hitch to carry a generator or a spare tire. Why would anyone need a 3", 17,000lb rated front hitch? You don't have near the front axle capacity to utilize it.
My front axle capacity is 5940lbs.
With my class 3 Curt front hitch, with 500lb cargo carrier loaded with 5 gallons of gas, 2000 watt generator, 6 gallons of water and assorted other stuff puts the front axle weight at 4550lbs.
The hitch is rated at 5000lbs and 500lbs tongue weight.
I launch my jet boat with the hitch all the time.
I also clamp a broken red fishing rod to the cargo carrier so I don't forget that I have 2.5-3' sticking out of the front end.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Feb 6 2017, 09:03 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

The proper recommendation for the front hitch with an example of how much the topic cargo will weigh makes a good post, thanks skyhammer. This is why all of us should utilize forums like this one.
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 6 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Feb 5 2017, 03:07 PM)
If you ever plan on camping in a camp ground with other campers around, but no shore power, you want an inverter for the low noise level.  In fact, many camp grounds outlaw the noisy 3600 rpm screamers.  Myself, I don't want one.  I can run my inverter sitting in front of the truck, in the woods, and not hear it inside the camper.  It will run your stuff fine but will be very noisy....and the inverters are easy on fuel, the screamer isn't.

I'd be considering mounting a spare.  Going camping, especially off road anywhere without a spare tire and rim is asking for disaster and/or a huge tow bill.  A pickup with no spare. especially on with a slide in in the bed is a big NO.

The house battery(s) charge through the on board converter and or your truck when plugged into it.  Shore powering the unit with a genny will power the inverter and charge your battery(s) too.

So, a regular generator's major draw back is going to be the noise level. Hmm.... If I can make the Yamaha fit I think that's the route I'll go otherwise I'm stuck with a screamer.
Oh, I'll be getting a spare tire carrier soon. I'm recovering from an ankle surgery and have another at the end of this week, so I can't actually go out to a junk yard and get the parts I need yet. I've set aside funds for one, I'm just waiting until I'm able to walk better.
I'm also going to try, sometime this week, to go see a Yamaha ef2800i in person and see what it'll take to make that work for me. I'd still rather spend the extra money and get the better genny.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Feb 6 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

Check this Champion out. http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Ch...tor/p13781.html
It is 58db and you can plug your 30 amp RV cord into it.It has run my 13,500 AC no problem.
This is the one I will buy when my 2000 watt Honda dies. The Honda won't run my AC, so I have to use my on board Onan to run AC, which I rarely do as it sucks propane at a high rate.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
Dorado
post Feb 7 2017, 03:00 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(skyhammer @ Feb 6 2017, 05:09 PM)
Check this Champion out. http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Ch...tor/p13781.html
It is 58db and you can plug your 30 amp RV cord into it.It has run my 13,500 AC no problem.
This is the one I will buy when my 2000 watt Honda dies. The Honda won't run my AC, so I have to use my on board Onan to run AC, which I rarely do as it sucks propane at a high rate.

I've looked at those. I do like them, but they are too tall for my purpose. The door is 24"wide by 15 1/2" tall. Unless I can lay it over onto it's side it won't fit. Would that hurt it? Not running it like that, just transporting it. I think it'd flood out the engine and get oil into bad places, but if it works it works.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 7 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #20

They all have a positive fuel shutoff.
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:27 AM