SidecarFlip
post Feb 13 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(Jknight611 @ Feb 13 2018, 09:08 AM)
Sidecar, I absolutely wholeheartedly agree!  My Northstar has a “out the door, as equipped weight” on the manufacturer’s data plate.  My helium got away.....  when the TV lawyers find a target as easy as this is to harvest.......  one call, that’s all!

People get an RV (not just a TC, but any RV) and then think they can 'take the house' along. Don't work that way. Everything weighs something and weights add up

With my wife and I, it's camping, not 'Glamping. I take the minimal amount along and keep the weight down. Like Issac Newton said, 'an object in motion, tends to stay in motion' and the heavier it is, the harder it is to stop (in time to avoid a crash). You never know when you'll need to stop quickly or swerve to avoid that crash.

I always prefer to err on the side of being under capacity for my truck and I've been in those situations where I've had to stop quickly and I was thankful I was able to.

No triple slide loaded up, generator equipped TC for me. Light is right here.

If I want luxury, I'll stay at the Holiday Inn or the Sheraton and drive my car. One, gets better fuel mileage and two is easier to park.

We are going to Florida next winter for a month with another couple who also have a TC. We are leaving the campers at home and renting a condo on the beach for a month. We penciled out the cost, taking the TC's for a month versus renting a condo and the cost, driving down with the TC's, campground site rent and all associated costs, far exceed the cost of driving down (in the car) renting a beach condo and just buying groceries for a month.

Besides, with the TC, we'd have to tote it along everywhere we went (most CG's won't allow you to offload a camper). I can play 'tourist' much easier with my car.

I can make it a suitcase trip. When renting a condo, everything is included, even a washer and dryer, all you need is your clothes... and swimming trunks...lol

A beachfront condo is 2 grand for am month split in half is a grand each way. Just driving down from here (Michigan) with the TC would cost a couple hundred in fuel.

Much more sensible to rent a condo and drive the car down.

Sure you can tell we are tired of the winter up here in Tundra land.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wintertree
post Feb 14 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,949
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Snowbird 108DS
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2016 F-450..upgraded overload springs...Torklift tie downs...single slide Hard wall camper with dry bath...solar...inverter...genset..full thermal package...extra black and grey tankage...kayak and paddle board

Some people can stay in a Truck camper for long periods of time (couples) with out an issue....We are not those people.....we really enjoy our unit...its large and roomy (for a TC)....has a separate shower (dry bath....no just outside ...lol)....micro....tv....you know...most of the things we take for granted at home...(good size fridge for wobbly pops)...but When we head out for an extended time of travels....we can go for about a month...sometimes less.....and we will rent a cabin....or something similar for about a week....off load the camper...and become grounded to mother earth for a while...It allows us some time with space...no set-up...etc. A few days later we are ready to hit the road in our rig...This way our travels enjoy the versatility of a TC (being able to explore and park many ...many places a motor home or truck trailer combo would not) on our way to our destination. Instead of investing in a monster fifth wheel or something similar and the hassle of hauling it (they are destination type RV's) we get to explore carefully on our way to our destination....We have friends that do end up in area's that we eventually make it to....but with their rig its a mad dash to get there....where ever that is....with not alot of "smelling the roses" along the way....By traveling with a TC and allowing for time outs a smaller rig can be realized without loosing your cool.....and getting into conflicts with your significant other when you need some space..

Works for us
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 15 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

We do the same thing kind of. When we go somewhere with a definite destination (like Maine in August), we will have the TC on the truck but stay in motels on the way up. I find staying in motels in route easier than looking for a campground and you can get a Super 8 for about the same price as a campsite in a nice campground. When we get to Maine in August, we will camp the entire time but on the way back again, we will motel it. Just easier for us.

I know it sounds odd, but for us, it works.
+Quote Post
don89
post Nov 8 2022, 11:16 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,223
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark Ute 8.5
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Hallmark Ute XL 8.5
Type of Tiedowns used: Ratchet Strap
Truck and Camper Setup: My name is Don. I am a travel blogger and live out of my truck in Canada. I have been truck camping for a couple of years now. I travel around the country, from the East to West then up North. My truck and camper are my home, which is basically a 6.5 x 10 foot room on wheels. I have been married for about 8 years now and have 3 kids, a daughter and 2 boys.

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Feb 15 2018, 11:08 PM)
We do the same thing kind of.  When we go somewhere with a definite destination (like Maine in August), we will have the TC on the truck but stay in motels on the way up.  I find staying in motels in route easier than looking for a campground and you can get a Super 8 for about the same price as a campsite in a nice campground.  When we get to Maine in August, we will camp the entire time but on the way back again, we will motel it.  Just easier for us.

Staying in motels is indeed easier than finding a campground. But the same logic works in reverse. If you find a nice campground in Maine to stay, you can then have your camper at your disposal the whole time you are on vacation. You can go to the beach and enjoy swimming and boating. If you go back to the campground or camp, you can cook in your camper and enjoy a meal on the deck of your camper.
+Quote Post
Haland78
post Nov 8 2022, 11:31 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,222
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host Mammoth
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Lance 650
Type of Tiedowns used: Cam Buckle Straps
Truck and Camper Setup: Hi my name is Haland. I am travel blogger. I have a lance 650 with camper setup. I love making videos and i love riding. I am currently travelling around the world. you can find my stories on my YouTube channel.

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Feb 15 2018, 11:08 PM)
We do the same thing kind of.  When we go somewhere with a definite destination (like Maine in August), we will have the TC on the truck but stay in motels on the way up.  I find staying in motels in route easier than looking for a campground and you can get a Super 8 for about the same price as a campsite in a nice campground.  When we get to Maine in August, we will camp the entire time but on the way back again, we will motel it.  Just easier for us.

I have done the same thing, and I have done the opposite. I had been camping, in my youth, a lot and found it a lot of fun. But now I am older and I got kids, I find it hard to manage the tent set up and some things. So, with this in mind, I have moved to the other side of the spectrum. Of course, in the end, it is all about the experience and what you enjoy. Now on what I do, when I go out for multi day hiking trips, I tend to use a hammock and a tarp shelter. I find this option a lot more lighter and easier to set up. However, when you are staying in campgrounds, you are saving more money because you don’t have to pay for hotel and motels anymore. Another reason why you shouldn’t do what you suggested is that you can enjoy the view while you are driving to your destination. And also I would suggest going for a campground with campground insurance( https://www.standardinsurance.ca/products-s...ound-insurance/ ). I once had to make an insurance claim when I accidentally tripped and fell into a lake during a camping trip. If it weren't for the insurance, I wouldn't have gotten the thousands of dollars I needed to pay for the damages to my camper. It pays to go prepared
+Quote Post

2 Pages < 1 2
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:02 PM