post Feb 10 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,697
Favorite Truck Camper(s): non yet
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Quad Dually
Type of Tiedowns used: none yet
Truck and Camper Setup: Looking for suitable slide-in

I am looking for a 10ft slide-in camper, and a 2001 Lance 1061 has come on the market.

The only thing is it seems AWFULLY heavy for a slide-in to me, weighing 3200 pounds (not sure if that's empty weight).

I have a decent truck (2003 Dodge quad cab Cummins 3500 6spd manual dually), but to put over 2000 pound in the bed seems like it would be an overload.

Do you need an F-450 or F-550 for such campers, or will my "wimpy" 1-ton do the job w/ enough power and stability to be safe on the highways, and maybe be able to still pull a boat trailer or flat-towed Jeep or the like?

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
silver fox
post Mar 13 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,909
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac with Torklift Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: 2006 Lance 861 (slide out) Dodge 2500 HD, 4x4n V8 , Air Bags, HD Super Springs,

check with Dodge to see what the "pay load" for the truck is, dealer should be able to help you, Dave
+Quote Post
bobinyelm
post Mar 13 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(silver fox @ Mar 13 2010, 03:03 PM)
check with Dodge to see what the "pay load" for the truck is, dealer should be able to help you, Dave

By the manufacturer, it's 4600 pounds, but subjectively, like I said, anything in a pick-up over 2000 pounds (a ton) seems like a LOT of weight to me, regardless of what the manufacturer says for good handling.

Bob
+Quote Post
uscoast21
post May 2 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,181
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 2500 quad cab long bed 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: dodge 2500 4x4 hemi: airbags, cold air intake, exhaust, 2.5" level kit, 35" nitto terra grapplers. 1994 lance squire 9.5.

i have an 03 dodge 2500 hemi that my lance 9.5 that weighs in at 3100 fully loaded handles just fine with about 60 lbs of air pressure in my rear air bags.
+Quote Post
akasurf14
post Sep 17 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,777
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino, Travel-Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Cummins Powered
Type of Tiedowns used: None at this time
Truck and Camper Setup: I the process of looking for a camper.

I could not believe what I read! You mentioned selling your Dodge Cummins for a Ford Powerstroke! You would give up the Best Diesel you could ever buy, for the Worst Ones ever made? They don't call them "PowerJokes" for nothing. your Dodge can handle the load I am sure. Check out the specs on the 2010 Ram Cummins 3500 if you want to trade. If I am not mistaken it is rated at over 5,000 lbs. I have an 03' 3500 and I am not worried about putting 3,000 lbs on her.
It is comments like this that give an old guy heart attacks!! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Sep 18 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

I have a similar truck and put a 3000lb Adventurer Camper on it. Once fully loaded with water, cargo fuel passengers etc its a total payload over 4000lbs. I did add some torklift Stable Loads plus some airbags to stop side to side roll but other than that there are no issues. Now I wouldn't take corners at high speed but with this arrangement the truck performs great. With airbags empty the rear of the truck squats 3 inches, but that is levelled out with air in the airbags.
+Quote Post
LindaH
post Sep 18 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,829
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Eagle Cap
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually (Cummins engine)
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Eagle Cap 950, 2 100-watt solar panels, 2 6-volt AGM batteries, 1000-watt pure sine wave inverter, Motosat Executive satellite TV dish, Torklift 5-step Glow Steps.

QUOTE(bobinyelm @ Feb 10 2010, 12:32 PM)
The only thing is it seems AWFULLY heavy for a slide-in to me, weighing 3200 pounds (not sure if that's empty weight).

Yes, that is most likely dry weight. 3,200# dry weight for a 10' slide-in camper isn't unusual.
I have a decent truck (2003 Dodge quad cab Cummins 3500 6spd manual dually), but to put over 2000 pound in the bed seems like it would be an overload.

You can always load up your truck like it would be for any trip with a full tank of fuel, all the people and gear that will normally be loaded into the cab and run it down to the local scales to get it weighed. Subtract this "real life" weight from your truck's GVWR and that will give you the maximum amount of LOADED truck camper you can carry without going over any of the truck's ratings.

We have a 2007 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins and duallies, extended cab and carry an Eagle Cap 950. Last year we spent 4 months traveling with the camper and stopped at one of the closed Oregon weigh stations to weigh it. Our total weight (full tank of fuel, full fresh water tank, and all the supplies we were carrying for that 4-month trip) was 12,450#. The GVWR of the truck is 11,500#, so we were 950# over that amount. However, we were well below both the front and rear GAWR's: Front GAWR = 4,750#, we were 4,600#; Rear GAWR = 9,350#, we were 7,850#. The truck handles the weight just fine and we don't have anything added to it except the AmTech RollGard stabilizer.
+Quote Post
drjay
post Oct 9 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,845
Favorite Truck Camper(s): okanagan
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2008 dodge quad cab 3500 sb srw
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift front happijac rear
Truck and Camper Setup: ram 3500, super sway stops, timbren rubber overloads, bilstein shocks, curt industrial class v underneat oem hitch with okanagan 90 w

QUOTE(bobinyelm @ Feb 10 2010, 01:32 PM)
I am looking for a 10ft slide-in camper, and a 2001 Lance 1061 has come on the market.

Do you need an F-450 or F-550 for such campers, or will my "wimpy" 1-ton do the job w/ enough power and stability to be safe on the highways, and maybe be able to still pull a boat trailer or flat-towed Jeep or the like?

Bob

I have an okanagan 90w in my 2008 dodge 3500 srw shortbox. Okanagan has this camper at 2300lbs dry weight I weighed it at the truck stop camper on then camper off i have it at 3300 lbs dry. I have done some mods to the suspension on my truck but the only real concern i have is the tires. I am going to upgrade to 19.5 rims and tires asap. you having a dually should have no problems reason being is your limiting factor on payload is usually your tires. Ive driven this setup in some nasty cross winds and across the midwest and get along just fine.
+Quote Post
1STGENFARMBOY
post Oct 27 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,889
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1993 Dodge W250 4x4 cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 1993 dodge cummins, an extreame amount of mods, 2003 lance 1071 loaded

I have a 93 W250 dodge with a 2003 lance 1071 that tips the scales at 3,600 dry, so i'm shure it's 4,000 loaded, and my truck handles it fine with a set of overload springs, but like stated above i wouldn't take corners at hi-speed,

user posted image

Dar

--------------------
1993 Dodge W250 4x4 cummins, lots of performance mods, overloads, 2003 lance 1071/ slide out,
+Quote Post
akasurf14
post Nov 19 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,777
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino, Travel-Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Cummins Powered
Type of Tiedowns used: None at this time
Truck and Camper Setup: I the process of looking for a camper.

QUOTE(LindaH @ Sep 18 2010, 05:46 PM)
Yes, that is most likely dry weight.  3,200# dry weight for a 10' slide-in camper isn't unusual.

You can always load up your truck like it would be for any trip with a full tank of fuel, all the people and gear that will normally be loaded into the cab and run it down to the local scales to get it weighed.  Subtract this "real life" weight from your truck's GVWR and that will give you the maximum amount of LOADED truck camper you can carry without going over any of the truck's ratings.

We have a 2007 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins and duallies, extended cab and carry an Eagle Cap 950.  Last year we spent 4 months traveling with the camper and stopped at one of the closed Oregon weigh stations to weigh it.  Our total weight (full tank of fuel, full fresh water tank, and all the supplies we were carrying for that 4-month trip) was 12,450#.  The GVWR of the truck is 11,500#, so we were 950# over that amount.  However, we were well below both the front and rear GAWR's: Front GAWR = 4,750#, we were 4,600#; Rear GAWR = 9,350#, we were 7,850#.  The truck handles the weight just fine and we don't have anything added to it except the AmTech RollGard stabilizer.

With regards to the GAWR. I am being told that this has no bearing on the weight carried. It is the GVWR that matters. Not that I agree with this, and I really don't understand why they would have a GAWR, yet it doesn't have anything to do with the the Payload! This is very confusing! dry.gif
+Quote Post
RedneckExpress
post Nov 19 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,973
Favorite Truck Camper(s): KampKing
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1992 Dodge W-250 4x4 5.9L V8 gas engine Club Cab Long Bed 4.10 gears
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge W-250 4x4, Airlift Air Bags, old Happijac tiedowns, 1974 KIT 11' Slide-in Camper

QUOTE(akasurf14 @ Nov 19 2010, 06:56 PM)
With regards to the GAWR. I am being told that this has no bearing on the weight carried. It is the GVWR that matters. Not that I agree with this, and I really don't understand why they would have a GAWR, yet it doesn't have anything to do with the the Payload! This is very confusing!  dry.gif

GAWR is the number you MUST Stay under to prevent damage to axle and drive line components.

GVWR is the finalized number that the OEM manufacturer chose based on several different criteria (Though the factory original tire size has been noted as a recurring on several years of Ford Model Truck), this number can be exceeded within reason, most times without really noticing any major change in handling other than perhaps accelerated wear and tear.

Then there's those of us that have kinda just gone off the deep end. For example, my GVWR is 8500, I weight closer to 10,000.

I'm currently in the process of doing an axle swap on my truck since the only major difference between a 92 W250 and W350 was the leaf spring pack (Which you got on the rear with the Heavy Duty package on the 3/4 ton gasser) and the axles used.

Dodge used a fiberglass little fender extension that attached to the edge of the bed's wheel well to extend out over the second tire, so converting it is actually rather easy.

I've already obtained a Spicer 70 Dually axle for the swap and a set of appropriate dually rims for the period, just need to get the fenders and add the running lights once I start the swap.

You can see the fender style I'm talking about here:
user posted image
+Quote Post
1STGENFARMBOY
post Dec 7 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,889
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1993 Dodge W250 4x4 cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: custom
Truck and Camper Setup: 1993 dodge cummins, an extreame amount of mods, 2003 lance 1071 loaded

QUOTE(RedneckExpress @ Nov 19 2010, 07:02 PM)
GAWR is the number you MUST Stay under to prevent damage to axle and drive line components.

GVWR is the finalized number that the OEM manufacturer chose based on several different criteria (Though the factory original tire size has been noted as a recurring on several years of Ford Model Truck), this number can be exceeded within reason, most times without really noticing any major change in handling other than perhaps accelerated wear and tear. 

Then there's those of us that have kinda just gone off the deep end.  For example, my GVWR is 8500, I weight closer to 10,000. 

I'm currently in the process of doing an axle swap on my truck since the only major difference between a 92 W250 and W350 was the leaf spring pack (Which you got on the rear with the Heavy Duty package on the 3/4 ton gasser) and the axles used. 

Dodge used a fiberglass little fender extension that attached to the edge of the bed's wheel well to extend out over the second tire, so converting it is actually rather easy. 

I've already obtained a Spicer 70 Dually axle for the swap and a set of appropriate dually rims for the period, just need to get the fenders and add the running lights once I start the swap.

You can see the fender style I'm talking about here:
user posted image

1st gen 350's came with a D80 rear.

--------------------
1993 Dodge W250 4x4 cummins, lots of performance mods, overloads, 2003 lance 1071/ slide out,
+Quote Post
MooringProduct
post May 6 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,969
Favorite Truck Camper(s): All
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2003 F250 CC SWB
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: F250 CC SB w/ 6.0 Diesel ARP studs, EGR deleted, NOS for the track(13.49ET),GT4088 Turbo and MBRP SS Exhaust. Suspension has Firestone bags, 4" ProComp Lift, Bilstein 5150 shocks, Class V Hitch, Stable Load. 2006 Lance 881 Loaded

QUOTE(akasurf14 @ Sep 17 2010, 01:35 AM)
I could not believe what I read! You mentioned selling your Dodge Cummins for a Ford Powerstroke!  You would give up the Best Diesel you could ever buy, for the Worst Ones ever made?  They don't call them "PowerJokes" for nothing. your Dodge can handle the load I am sure.  Check out the specs on the 2010 Ram Cummins 3500 if you want to trade. If I am not mistaken it is rated at over 5,000 lbs. I have an 03' 3500 and I am not worried about putting 3,000 lbs on her. 
It is comments like this that give an old guy heart attacks!!  biggrin.gif

Im a proud owner of an 03 F250 with a Powerjoke 6.0. You may have the mighty Cummins engine but the rest of the truck is nothing to beat your chest about.

Here is a video to show you. (You can see my Torque lifts in the back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh4puTT-4Rs

--------------------
2003 F250 CC SB 6.0 Stable Loads and Air bags. 4" custom lift, Bilstein 5150 Shocks, and Complete Energy Suspension bushing.
2006 Lance 881 Loaded..No Gen or Awnings.
+Quote Post
90reddodge
post Jun 17 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,509
Favorite Truck Camper(s): no favorite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: d 250 cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: D 250 Dodge single cab long bed cummins torklift tiedowns

QUOTE(1STGENFARMBOY @ Oct 27 2010, 11:40 AM)
I have a 93 W250 dodge with a 2003 lance 1071 that tips the scales at 3,600 dry, so i'm shure it's 4,000 loaded, and my truck handles it fine with a set of overload springs, but like stated above i wouldn't take corners at hi-speed,

user posted image

Dar

I am looking for support from owners similar to my 1990 dodge 250 with cummins. I am looking at a Lance 1010 @ 2894 on data plate. As you would know the GVWR is 8510 and my truck weighs about 5100 with half tank gas. Passengers and gear will take it over the GVWR.
Can you provide your input to this being an adequate rig. The truck is stock with no helpers.
Thanks
+Quote Post
jeniD4u
post Jun 30 2011, 04:36 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,514
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Bronco folding truck camper
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Medium duty truck Ford f350
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: F350:has a great mileage of around 89,811 ,its engine specs is Powerstroke ,has air bags

I would suggest you, not to go for your plans cause your truck may not support the campers which you are dreaming for.The weight will be too much also dodge updation to such a level can harm your truck too.So it's better you leave your plans for now ,wait for sometime and than go for a new one rather than wasting your money on modification.
+Quote Post
bela374
post Jun 22 2013, 06:01 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 6,757
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lamborgini
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 Dually 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Happijac Tiedowns

--------------------
gadgetssea gadgetssea
thl-w5-hd-dual-sim-android-4-0-smartphone thl-w5-hd-dual-sim-android-4-0-smartphone
asus-memo-pad-smart-me301t-android-4-1-tablet-to-hit-us asus-memo-pad-smart-me301t-android-4-1-tablet-to-hit-us
sanwa-400-skb038-bluetooth-3-0-keyboard sanwa-400-skb038-bluetooth-3-0-keyboard
buffalo-hd-pctu3-c-design-selection-hdd-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drives buffalo-hd-pctu3-c-design-selection-hdd-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drives
+Quote Post
fatboy
post Nov 23 2013, 09:47 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,077
Favorite Truck Camper(s): None
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2008 F250 6.4L Crew 2x2 SRW
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Nothing

QUOTE(bobinyelm @ Feb 10 2010, 12:32 PM)

Bob

Personally, I wouldn't ask anyone about what they might carry. I'd look at the door pillar sticker, read the payload capacity and figure things out for myself. Whatever changes you might make to the truck to increase capacity ... you still can't get the manufacturer to change the sticker. And that is the certified payload which may cause you grief later if it becomes an issue. Your decision shouldn't be based on internet advice. And sure you can toss things like tail gate, rear seat, ranch bumpers and spare tire to get your truck weight down. For me ... axle weight ratings and gross vehicle weight ratings are what is important. I'd have no problem exceeding payload as long as I didn't exceed those other ratings. Yeah, I'd have a problem exceeding the GVWR and GAWR. My choice though.

Everything about your particular truck effects its payload. If you have a diesel your probably 6-700 lbs heavier than a gas equivalent. If you have heavy ranch bumpers your adding more weight. Even the trim level changes the weight of your truck. And the heavier your truck the less it can carry because the payload is GVWR minus GVW. The point I am making is that your truck and all its options are calculated into the door pillar sticker. If you already own the truck then simply run to the nearest CAT scale and weigh your truck and do the math. Can't argue with that. My truck is similar to others but still different. Yours is too. Weigh it with any changes you make. Like say you decide to toss the tail gate, receiver hitch, spare tire, rear seat and ranch bumpers to lower the GVW and increase its payload.

The formula I keep running into is: Camper dry weight +1000lbs < your payload

Man if your lucky enough to know all this before buying a truck you can compare payloads when you make your truck purchase. I was dumber than I am today ... if thats possible ... and didn't think to look at the door pillar. So, I've got a truck with a 2337 lb payload. However, I absolutely love the truck and will make some informed decisions when kitting it out. Its all good.

Wait .. didn't I just say forget about internet advice?

-FB
+Quote Post
Turbotexas
post Nov 24 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,871
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 dually
Type of Tiedowns used: Homemade
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge one ton dually, Lance Squire 3000 8 foot bed, heavy chains to tie down!

QUOTE(MooringProduct @ May 6 2011, 03:56 PM)
Im a proud owner of an 03 F250 with a Powerjoke 6.0.  You may have the mighty Cummins engine but the rest of the truck is nothing to beat your chest about.

Here is a video to show you. (You can see my Torque lifts in the back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh4puTT-4Rs

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_f3CAnH7WIM
+Quote Post
bobinyelm
post Nov 24 2014, 10:49 AM
Post #19

Call me a wimp, but after a year with an 11'6" 3000 lb dry (+accessories) Lance I loved on my '03 Cummins QC 3500 LB dually with torque lift steady loads and air bags and Rancho 9000x shocks, flat towing Samurai , I found that power w/ my 6spd was not an issue.

I moved down to a Big Foot 2000 pound 9.5' and while the difference is difficult to quantify, but it's so much more relaxed and the ride is more stable and smooth. I can't say I notice a power difference, and my mpg only went up from 16 to not quite 18 mpg towing my 3300 pound Casita TT.

I would not go back to the heavier camper for the minimal difference in use-value to me.

For ME it's not what my truck WILL do, it's what it's most comfortable doing, and makes ME comfortable while doing it.
+Quote Post
bobinyelm
post Nov 24 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #20

I would also add...

I spoke with Grant at Big Foot Industries about the heavier 2500 Series campers, and he said he didn't recommend them on any Dodge (even the dually), since Dodges seem to unable to carry weight like Fords and Chevies. He said they are good trucks, but just are not rated for the weight that the other trucks easily carry (he linked me to a GW table of the 3 brand trucks).

That said, I LIKE my 6spd 2003 Dodge 3500 Dually QC a lot, and I Love the Cumming 5.9 CRD, but I guess they are just not rated load-wise for the work a Ford or Chevy will do and stay w/in their ratings.

On the other hand, friends with Fords w/ OTHER than the 7.3 liter engine (I had a 7.3 and it was a great engine), and those with the GMs Japanese diesel have all had engine problems along the way.

So I am fine having my "wimpy" Dodge Chassis with the pleasurable drivetrain. In 5 years, nothing about the chassis/body/electrical accessories has given even a moment's trouble. Others complain Dodge is poorly put together, but mine's been bullet-proof and comfortable.

They ALL have their good points, but the factory ratings of the Dodges are clearly inferior to their competitors.
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:19 AM