Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,059
Favorite Truck Camper(s): hawrd strack
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: USA
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: egsehxhsrhsrb srrhbss

Hi,

What are the drawbacks to building a pickup truck camper shell, rather than a slide-in, as a cabover ? I've found many plans for slide's and so on, but never anything like a simple shell that would include a cabover compartment. I'm wondering whether there's an inherent problem that prevents this.

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18630
Marketing video production service

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DWJoyce
post Jun 24 2018, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,537
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '66 Chevy K10
Type of Tiedowns used: Don't know
Truck and Camper Setup: 8' cabover with helper strings on the rear of the truck. In the process of rebuilding an old camper with rotten floors and a leaking roof. Will add a toilet and shower and replace the icebox with a refrigerator.

QUOTE(ToniFranklin @ May 30 2018, 07:47 AM)
Hi,

What are the drawbacks to building a pickup truck camper shell, rather than a slide-in, as a cabover ? I've found many plans for slide's and so on, but never anything like a simple shell that would include a cabover compartment. I'm wondering whether there's an inherent problem that prevents this.

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18630
Marketing video production service

Thanks!

Camper manufacturers would make cabover shells if they could make money off them. With the additional structure required of a cabover, a shell with a cabover would be twice the cost.

If you build it yourself, there's no problem. It's significantly more structurally difficult to build the cabover. I rebuilt a smallish cabover camper reusing only the aluminum siding, windows and accessories.

Steel reinforceing 1x1" angle welded into an L was used to support the 3/4" plywood cabover bottom from the front of the camper behind the cab. Additionally, there is a 1x6 that runs the full length of each side of the camper (12 feet long) supporting the cantilever. With these four additional structural members, the cabover is solid as a rock.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:26 AM