parrotfever
post Feb 21 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,739
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Currently own a Palomino pop-up slide-in
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2008 Ford F-350 4x4 Super Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 F-350 Supercab 4x4 with Firestone airbags, Bilstein shocks, a 2005 Palomino Bronco 1500 Softside camper, and Torklift tiedowns. So far, we've added an additional 4' long by 14" high cabinet for additional storage on top of the table seat area, a 40 gallon water tank in place of the OEM 16 gallon tank, moved the dual Volvo batteries outside, and replaced the nonworking stereo with a new Elite system.

We own a 2005 Palomino Bronco 1500 SS. As we preferred storage space and my lady hates lifting the bed for clothing, I built an additional storage cabinet on the right side in place of the seating area. We still have room to sit on the table top, just don't have a table. Microwave sits on top of the 4' long x ~14" high cabinet and no problem dropping the top for travel. Only other change to date was an updated sink spigot so that we can fill fullsize pots. Got one of the spring 'chef style' faucets which can reach a pot on the stove.

I'd attach photos if I could figure out how but will have to ask for help as I've just joined the forum and don't know what to do.

Love the camper, the onboard shower & john - a major step up from my former Coachman SS 6 1/2' unit!

Bob & Maureen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bill/Ginny
post Apr 5 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,805
Favorite Truck Camper(s): palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: dodge dually 3500 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: TORKLIFT
Truck and Camper Setup: Palomino SS1500 2016. On Dodge dually set back 31" because of 90 gal aux fuel tank. Will be pulling a 14' enclosed v nose with 60" extended tongue.

QUOTE(ivonoliveira @ Dec 12 2015, 12:41 PM)
Inviting Palomino SS 1500 users to exchange info/experiences/Mods, etc

Can't wait till I get our 1500 in May, I have so many mods I plan to do to make it ours
+Quote Post
beninut
post Feb 7 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,401
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: dodge ram 3500
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: ram 3500 Happijac tiedowns

We just bought a "pre owned" 2016 Palomino 1500 from a very nice person. We owned the same model over a dozen years ago and are delighted with the improvements:

Palomino switched to auto ignition of the water heater and refrigerator. No more trying to light them from outside. I remember times with combinations of the following: in the dark , in the cold, with gusty wind.

The previous owner purchased the options for the electric power roof and remote control electric jacks. We also appreciate the aluminum steps and hand rail he added.

The camper is winterized and I have not mounted it on my truck. De-winterizing has to wait until about mid March when the last below freezing weather is over here for the winter.

Mounting on the truck is delayed until the rear fenders I broke on trees are replaced. I will not explain how I cracked the fenders, already, way too many folks are aware of how stupid I can be.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 7 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(beninut @ Feb 7 2017, 03:35 PM)
We just bought a "pre owned" 2016 Palomino 1500 from a very nice person. We owned the same model over a dozen years ago and are delighted with the improvements:

Palomino switched to auto ignition of the water heater and refrigerator. No more trying to light them from outside. I remember times with combinations of the following: in the dark , in the cold, with gusty wind.

The previous owner purchased the options for the electric power roof and remote control electric jacks. We also appreciate the aluminum steps  and hand rail he added.

The camper is winterized and I have not mounted it on my truck. De-winterizing has to wait until about mid March when the last below freezing weather is over here for the winter.

Mounting on the truck is delayed until the rear fenders I broke on trees are replaced. I will not explain how I cracked the fenders, already, way too many folks are aware of how stupid I can be.

Make sure it has swing out jack brackets or you'll be busting your fenders again.....lol
+Quote Post
beninut
post Feb 7 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the caution, I have the swing out brackets from our previous camper.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 7 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #7

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

I as well own a Palomino SS1500 (2016) I bought new from Outpost RV in Goshen, Indiana which isn't that far from me, actually, the Palomino Factory in Colon, Michigan is close too...(About 1 hour 30 minutes for both places).

I like mine quite well. I bought it to replace a Lance 915 Hard side because I have clearance issues camping off road (tree limbs and such) and I wanted a unit that had a retractable roof for the clearance.

I would have purchased a 1250 but my wife requires a full wet toilet / bath (I can make do with a roll of TP and the woods and use the outside shower, but she is my camping partner so I bought the loaded up model

Outpost is a great dealer both for the sale and after the sale, nice folks, I would buy there again.

Mine sits on a 1997 Ford F350 4x4 7.3, crew cab, long bed, modified for off road use. With lockers front and rear. Bought it new in 97 and it never sees winter, sleeps in the barn with the Palomino next to it.

Last year I had no issues with the camper whatsoever. Everything operates as it should, fit and finish is excellent too.

I did make some modificattions however:

I added a second house battery. I removed entirely the plastic battery box and built sealed and vented wood enclosure from 3/4" BC plywood to house a group 24 deep cycle battery. Removal of the bulky plastic battery box allows plenty of room for the second battery with room to spare.

I also added a 1000 watt Aims power PSW Inverter with remote and rewired the 110 volt outlet below the bunk for just the inverter. I use that to power my CPAP machine when I sleep

Even though the interior lights are all LED, the outside lights (tail, stop lights, clearance lights) and patio lights are conventional bulbs. I replaced all those with with LED bulbs from SuperbrightLED.com.

I added a double pole double throw switch the the fantastic fan to reverse the air flow.

I bought a Carefree of Colorado bag awning and added that to the existing awning rail that is already part of the upper roof section.

I also modified the refrigerator top vent. Back in the day campers exhausted hot aie from the evaporator on the fridge through a roof mounted vent utilising natural convection to pull cool air in the bottom and hot out the top...a chimney effect, not possible with a pop up camper. Palomino adds a one muffin fan in the upper section to exhaust hot air from the cavity. It's not enough. I noted pretty wide temperature swings in the fridge last summer (I have a remote temperature sensor in the fridge with a digital readout on the door)...

I removed the top vent, tossed the cheap noisy fan Palomino installed and replaced it with 2 fluid dynamic bearing muffin fans that are totally silent and fabricated a galvanized sheet baffle to direct the cool air from the bottom vent more directly across the evaporator, We will see this season how that impacts the temperature variations in the fridge The OEM setup utilized a snap disc thermostat, on at 80, off at 60. I just used it with the new fans.

I also added a Furrion rear view wireless camera. The 2017 Palomino SS's come prewired for the Furrion, mine didn't so I wired it into a switch mounted next to the Reico Titan roof lift control so I can turn it on or off when I don't need it.

Because I camp off road and I need recovery tools, I carry a chainsaw, farm jack, Lewis portable winch, snatcg straps and shovel, I added a Rotapak fuel system to the back. I carry 3 gallons of pre mix fuel and a gallon of bar oil in them, outside. They are leakproof and come with pour spouts. My jack and shovel also mount outside on the back of the unit.

I carry inside the camper a Champion 2000 watt inverter unit which is plenty for recharging the baytteries and running my convection microwave.

I still need to cut the knee wall on the drivers side and install an outside access door to access the truck bed for more storage, probably do that this year sometime.

This forum is a pizzer to post pictures on. I have a bunch (I like to take pictures of my adventures but I cannot seem to post them so..

You'll have to use your imagination...
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Feb 7 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

Posting pictures on this forum is just like 99% of all the other forums.
You need to host your pictures on a site such as Photo Bucket.
Once your picture is hosted, click on the menu, click on share and click on IMG, this will copy your picture to your clip board.
Once on this forum, click on reply, type your message, right click, select paste and the img code will appear in the message you just typed.
The picture will not appear until you click on reply.
It sounds complicated, but really only takes 10 seconds.Also make sure you resize you picture, other wise it will be to large and people will have to scroll to see it.
user posted image

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 9 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #9

This is the only forum where I cannot directly access pictures in my computer and apply them to a post.

Do that all the time on FRF and other forums I visit.
+Quote Post
skyhammer
post Feb 12 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,520
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 F-350,4WD,CC,DRW
Type of Tiedowns used: Tork lift fast guns
Truck and Camper Setup: Air bags, tork lift stable loads,Reese extension hitch. Host 11.5' triple slide

You must not be a member of many forums.
I am an administrator/moderator on
Infinity FX35 forum
FJ Cruiser Forum
Nissan Rogue Forum
Mahindra Truck Forum
Toyota Venza Forum
Ducati Super bike Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Toyota Tundra Forum
Cummins Owernz Forum
All of these forums and the other 30 or forums I belong to require pictures to be posted the same way as this forum.
The main reason for this is that most forums are free. It costs the forum owner a lot of money for the hard drive space to host pictures on his server.
That is why most forums require you to use a hosting site (such as Photobucket etc.)in order to post pictures.
This saves the forum owner and the member money.
How many members would be willing to pay to use this or any other forum? From my experience, not many.
Most forums are now owned by just a few companies, 5-10 years ago, most forums were owned by individuals.
Most large forums have a lot of advertising to cover costs.
We are lucky that this forums owner is giving us an add free forum.

--------------------
2011, F-350,CC,DRW,6.7,4WD
Air bags, Tork Lift Stable Loads
Host, 11.5' Tripple Slide
Tork Lift Fast Guns
+Quote Post
beninut
post Feb 13 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Feb 7 2017, 04:39 PM)
I as well own a Palomino SS1500 (2016) I bought new from Outpost RV in Goshen, Indiana which isn't that far from me, actually, the Palomino Factory in Colon, Michigan is close too...(About 1 hour 30 minutes for both places).

I like mine quite well.  I bought it to replace a Lance 915 Hard side because I have clearance issues camping off road (tree limbs and such) and I wanted a unit that had a retractable roof for the clearance.

I would have purchased a 1250 but my wife requires a full wet toilet / bath (I can make do with a roll of TP and the woods and use the outside shower, but she is my camping partner so I bought the loaded up model

Outpost is a great dealer both for the sale and after the sale, nice folks, I would buy there again.

Mine sits on a 1997 Ford F350 4x4 7.3, crew cab, long bed, modified for off road use. With lockers front and rear.  Bought it new in 97 and it never sees winter, sleeps in the barn with the Palomino next to it.

Last year I had no issues with the camper whatsoever.  Everything operates as it should, fit and finish is excellent too.

I did make some modificattions however:

I added a second house battery.  I removed entirely the plastic battery box and built sealed and vented wood enclosure from 3/4" BC plywood to house a group 24 deep cycle battery.  Removal of the bulky plastic battery box allows plenty of room for the second battery with room to spare.

I also added a 1000 watt Aims power PSW Inverter with remote and rewired the 110 volt outlet below the bunk for just the inverter.  I use that to power my CPAP machine when I sleep

Even though the interior lights are all LED, the outside lights (tail, stop lights, clearance lights) and patio lights are conventional bulbs.  I replaced all those with with LED bulbs from SuperbrightLED.com.

I added a double pole double throw switch the the fantastic fan to reverse the air flow.

I bought a Carefree of Colorado bag awning and added that to the existing awning rail that is already part of the upper roof section.

I also modified the refrigerator top vent.  Back in the day campers exhausted hot aie from the evaporator on the fridge through a roof mounted vent utilising natural convection to pull cool air in the bottom and hot out the top...a chimney effect, not possible with a pop up camper.  Palomino adds a one muffin fan in the upper section to exhaust hot air from the cavity.  It's not enough.  I noted pretty wide temperature swings in the fridge last summer (I have a remote temperature sensor in the fridge with a digital readout on the door)...

I removed the top vent, tossed the cheap noisy fan Palomino installed and replaced it with 2 fluid dynamic bearing muffin fans that are totally silent and fabricated a galvanized sheet baffle to direct the cool air from the bottom vent more directly across the evaporator,  We will see this season how that impacts the temperature variations in the fridge  The OEM setup utilized a snap disc thermostat, on at 80, off at 60.  I just used it with the new fans.

I also added a Furrion rear view wireless camera.  The 2017 Palomino SS's come prewired for the Furrion, mine didn't so I wired it into a switch mounted next to the Reico Titan roof lift control so I can turn it on or off when I don't need it.

Because I camp off road and I need recovery tools, I carry a chainsaw, farm jack, Lewis portable winch, snatcg straps and shovel, I added a Rotapak fuel system to the back.  I carry 3 gallons of pre mix fuel and a gallon of bar oil in them, outside.  They are leakproof and come with pour spouts.  My jack and shovel also mount outside on the back of the unit.

I carry inside the camper a Champion 2000 watt inverter unit which is plenty for recharging the baytteries and running my convection microwave.

I still need to cut the knee wall on the drivers side and install an outside access door to access the truck bed for more storage, probably do that this year sometime.

This forum is a pizzer to post pictures on.  I have a bunch (I like to take pictures of my adventures but I cannot seem to post them so..

You'll have to use your imagination...

+Quote Post
beninut
post Feb 13 2017, 11:48 AM
Post #12

I was able to get a picture into Photo Bucket using theuser posted imageinstructions above. We shall see if I can transmit it. I do hope so, the changes you made to your camper have me excited to see pictures and if it works for me maybe you can send pictures.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 15 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(skyhammer @ Feb 12 2017, 05:13 PM)
You must not be a member of many forums.
I am an administrator/moderator on
Infinity FX35 forum
FJ Cruiser Forum
Nissan Rogue Forum
Mahindra Truck Forum
Toyota Venza Forum
Ducati Super bike Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Toyota Tundra Forum
Cummins Owernz Forum
All of these forums and the other 30 or forums I belong to require pictures to be posted the same way as this forum.
The main reason for this is that most forums are free. It costs the forum owner a lot of money for the hard drive space to host pictures on his server.
That is why most forums require you to use a hosting site (such as Photobucket etc.)in order to post pictures. 
This saves the forum owner and the member money.
How many members would be willing to pay to use this or any other forum? From my experience, not many.
Most forums are now owned by just a few companies, 5-10 years ago, most forums were owned by individuals.
Most large forums have a lot of advertising to cover costs.
We are lucky that this forums owner is giving us an add free forum.

None of the above (I frequent) and far as Ad's go, I always have Ad Blocker running in the background so even if there were, they would never appear..

I'm familiar with forum hosting and what it entails and costs. I lease 2 .com sites that have nothing to do with this hobby / venue.

It's rackspace btw and it's usually leased.

+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 15 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(beninut @ Feb 13 2017, 11:48 AM)
I was able to get a picture into Photo Bucket using theuser posted imageinstructions above. We shall see if I can transmit it. I do hope so, the changes you made to your camper have me excited to see pictures and if it works for me maybe you can send pictures.

Looks like you are in New Mexico or Arizona. I'm up in Michigan. I hunt out there and I recognize the landscape.

Sent you a pm...
+Quote Post
beninut
post Feb 15 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Feb 15 2017, 02:26 PM)
Looks like you are in New Mexico or Arizona.  I'm up in Michigan.  I hunt out there and I recognize the landscape.

Sent you a pm...

The picture is from kodachrome basin state park in Utah. I plan to return there soon in my new camper
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Feb 16 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(beninut @ Feb 15 2017, 04:09 PM)
The picture is from kodachrome basin state park in Utah. I plan to return there soon in my new camper

The terrain looked familiar, I hunt in the western states every other year. NM and AZ are similar.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:35 AM