Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Camper Frame Pictures, In need of camper frame pictures

RRRDAD
post Mar 13 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 467
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 1990 Scamper
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2003 Dodge 2500 quad cab, long box, single axle, 4wd, 5.9 cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: none
Truck and Camper Setup: 9.5 scamper, bath and A/C, extended hitch , class 4 modified to pull 24 foot trailer. 13.8 mpg while towing.

I'm starting my quest in building a truck camper. Does anyone know of pictures of the frame such as from the factory or any homemade campers? Thx MM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rodg
post Mar 18 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 490
Favorite Truck Camper(s): homebuilt
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: dodge 2500 xtcab diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: stablelift system
Truck and Camper Setup: in process of building truck camper from Glen-L plans that i got off web site. Alcapulco model, almost finished, have it skinned and still working on it. hope to be finished in 6 wks and on the road just in time for the spring trout run in Galveston, Texas

hi, Rodg here, saw ur question on truck camper plans. i am building a truck camper now from the Glen-L plans. they have a good web site. just google Glen-L truck plans and u will get there web site. i am building the Acalpuco model and i am about 90 percent complete. got all the interior done, have the skin on, waiting on some corner molding and cushions to finish it up. i am retired and i have worked on in almost every day for the last 7 months. i would say that i have a total of $11,000 in it. The biggest expenses was the siding, $1,800 and i bought the Stablelift system for $2,500. Everything else, windows, door, sink, propane tank, stove top, i bought off ebay. well i hope this helps u out, Rodg
+Quote Post
RRRDAD
post Mar 19 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2003 Dodge 2500 quad cab, long box, single axle, 4wd, 5.9 cummins
Truck and Camper Setup: 9.5 scamper, bath and A/C, extended hitch , class 4 modified to pull 24 foot trailer. 13.8 mpg while towing.

QUOTE(Rodg @ Mar 18 2007, 01:46 PM)
hi, Rodg here, saw ur question on truck camper plans.  i am building a truck camper now from the Glen-L plans.  they have a good web site.  just google Glen-L truck plans and u will get there web site.  i am building the Acalpuco model and i am about 90 percent complete.  got all the interior done, have the skin on, waiting on some corner molding and cushions to finish it up.  i am retired and i have worked on in almost every day for the last 7 months.  i would say that i have a total of $11,000 in it.  The biggest expenses was the siding, $1,800 and i bought the Stablelift system for $2,500.  Everything else, windows, door, sink, propane tank, stove top, i bought off ebay.  well i hope this helps u out, Rodg

sounds great..... do you have any pics to share/? I'm familiar with glen L plans..... I would like to build a camper that has a little more height , 8 foot in length. Framing in steel tubing is easier for me and less expensive for me also.... I would like to skin it in .040 screwless siding...................any ideas? Thx MM
+Quote Post
Rodg
post Mar 20 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #4

Truck and Camper Setup: in process of building truck camper from Glen-L plans that i got off web site. Alcapulco model, almost finished, have it skinned and still working on it. hope to be finished in 6 wks and on the road just in time for the spring trout run in Galveston, Texas

QUOTE(RRRDAD @ Mar 20 2007, 04:45 AM)
sounds great..... do you have any pics to share/? I'm familiar with glen L plans..... I would like to build a camper that has a little more height , 8 foot in length. Framing in steel tubing is easier for me and less expensive for me also.... I would like to skin it in .040 screwless siding...................any ideas? Thx MM

Rodg here, i got a blog site, HTTP://homebuilt-trkcamper.blogspot.com/ ... i have a few pictures so far, trying to get my wife to down load some more. i have the skin on now and am doing the corner molding. i put on a rubber roof also. u mentioned steel contstruction, better use aluminum, or your camper will be 5,000 lbs, even a 1 ton trk couldn't carry it. i figure my camper is going to weigh in around 2,500 lbs. The main thing is weight, u have to keep it down, pare every piece of weight off u can. i used the Glen-L plans for the outside deminsions only, i built my own interior and i built a lot of cabinets, 18 doors in all, 3 drawers. plus i put in a Thetford cassette toilet. i didn't build any restroom walls. my camper is just for me to go fishing with, drag the boat down to the bay and spend a couple of nights in. also on my plans i lowered the front cab over area by 4". the plans are from the 60's when truck cabs were a lot higher than today's trks.
+Quote Post
RRRDAD
post Mar 20 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Rodg @ Mar 20 2007, 08:01 AM)
Rodg here, i got a blog site, HTTP://homebuilt-trkcamper.blogspot.com/ ... i have a few pictures so far, trying to get my wife to down load some more.  i have the skin on now and am doing the corner molding.  i put on a rubber roof also.  u mentioned steel contstruction, better use aluminum, or your camper will be 5,000 lbs, even a 1 ton trk couldn't carry it.  i figure my camper is going to weigh in around 2,500 lbs. The main thing is weight, u have to keep it down, pare every piece of weight off u can.  i used the Glen-L plans for the outside deminsions only, i built my own interior and i built a lot of cabinets, 18 doors in all, 3 drawers.  plus i put in a Thetford cassette toilet.  i didn't build any restroom walls.   my camper is just for me to go fishing with, drag the boat down to the bay and spend a couple of nights in.  also on my plans i lowered the front cab over area by 4".  the plans are from the 60's when truck cabs were a lot higher than today's trks.

Thanks for the reply...The computer didnt want to display the photos...Try emailing them to moodbomb4@aol............. I noticed the same thing at glen l that the the distance between the cab and camper needed to be lowered... Where do I find corner pieces and exterior trim parts..????? Thx again MM
+Quote Post
Rodg
post Mar 22 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(RRRDAD @ Mar 20 2007, 09:14 PM)
Thanks for the reply...The computer didnt want to display the photos...Try emailing them to moodbomb4@aol.............  I noticed the same thing at glen l that the the distance between the cab and camper needed to be lowered... Where do I find corner pieces and exterior trim parts..????? Thx again   MM

i used the web site of Glen-L and contacted The Metal Company out of colorado. u have to arrange shipping, i used DHl and it was like $180 for around a 400lb shipment. i rec'd all my siding, corner molding, and rubber roof in one shipment, several tubes and boxes, no damage. i think they are out of alvardo colorado, they have a great web site, download their catalog and it gives u all the profiles of the siding and molding. I figured on 3 week delivery time, had it in my garage in 9days after date of order. so they are fast. i used the 2" with a reverse and used the Pittsburg interlocking system. I will have more photos on my blog site soon. don't use the www on it, just the http://homebuilt-trkcamper.blogspot.com and then a dot com/. for some reason if u enter the whole web site on this it gets eraased, but after blogspot put a .com/ try that and see if it works.
+Quote Post
bigviken
post Dec 9 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,720
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ford f-150 superscrew
Truck and Camper Setup: sold pop up truck camper, in process of making new truck camper

Rodg you did a nice job on the camper, how much weight do you think you added to the camper with all the bracing. I was thinking about using a biscuit joiner for all the brasing. I dont really want to go out and get a new 1" stapler for the framing. I really need to keep my camper light, its going on a superscrew F150 so im looking at around 1200lbs. I just started bidding on doors and windows now
+Quote Post
waleeedijaz
post Mar 12 2016, 03:13 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,789
Favorite Truck Camper(s): sfgsf
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: fgsf
Type of Tiedowns used: gfgsfg
Truck and Camper Setup: fgsffs

The biggest expenses was the siding, $1,800 and i bought the Stablelift system for $2,500. Everything else, windows, door, sink, propane tank, stove top, i bought off ebay. well i hope this helps u out, Rodg

--------------------
+Quote Post
tom
post Mar 15 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,385
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ulta lite 1200lbs to me is not lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f150 ford
Type of Tiedowns used: home built to frame
Truck and Camper Setup: looked for something really lite, nothing on the market. Wanted something less than half of the rated weight load for a 1/2 ton truck.Like to be realistic about weight capacities. Built a totally aluminum unit. 8 ft. box, 80 in. wide, 80 in. high. With door, windows and AC and jacks I can still left one end by hand and I'm over 60. I'm guessing at this point unit must be around 200 lbs.

QUOTE(RRRDAD @ Mar 13 2007, 01:18 AM)
I'm starting my quest in building a truck camper. Does anyone know of pictures of the frame such as from the factory or any homemade campers?  Thx MM

Good luck with your project. I could not get my pictures to post. If your interested I have some picture of one I rebuilt. tom43r@gmail.com
+Quote Post
RedneckExpress
post Jun 27 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,973
Favorite Truck Camper(s): KampKing
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1992 Dodge W-250 4x4 5.9L V8 gas engine Club Cab Long Bed 4.10 gears
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Dodge W-250 4x4, Airlift Air Bags, old Happijac tiedowns, 1974 KIT 11' Slide-in Camper

Don't know how far you are into your project, but Glen-L sells full scale blue prints for building truck campers, completely with a full list of all the materials you'll need.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 11:39 PM