Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> best truck camper, manufacturer

mzclaus77
post Sep 16 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,773
Favorite Truck Camper(s): need to find out what is best
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: dont own 1 yet want to find out what kind of camper i like 1st
Type of Tiedowns used: do not have
Truck and Camper Setup: do not have it yet, want to live year round in truck/camper combo doing research to figure it all out this looks like a great site to help me figure out combo

i would love to have advice on who manufactures the best and most reliable truck camper unsure.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redrocker
post Sep 16 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,970
Favorite Truck Camper(s): lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: f250 crew 4x4 7.3
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: airbags

QUOTE(mzclaus77 @ Sep 16 2010, 03:17 PM)
i would love to have advice on who manufactures the best and most reliable truck camper   unsure.gif

I myself like the Lance I'm on my second one
my last one was 22yrs old and everything worked
when I sold it My new one is a Lance 820 2003 that
I bought used and I'm very happy with this one also
but there are so many others that are nice also
I just like the Lance because there still in business
are they are in C.A. not far from me
Hope this helps smile.gif
+Quote Post
KY_Campers
post Sep 20 2010, 04:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,413
Favorite Truck Camper(s): .....
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ......
Type of Tiedowns used: .......
Truck and Camper Setup: .........

I like Sunlite truck campers!

They don't weigh all that much, and mine has a bathroom! smile.gif ... I did have to put airbags on my truck, because I pull a boat.

My camper will fit a short bed, But the tailgate has to be let down.

--------------------
. . . .
+Quote Post
drjay
post Oct 9 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,845
Favorite Truck Camper(s): okanagan
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2008 dodge quad cab 3500 sb srw
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift front happijac rear
Truck and Camper Setup: ram 3500, super sway stops, timbren rubber overloads, bilstein shocks, curt industrial class v underneat oem hitch with okanagan 90 w

i have a 2008 okanagan there are still a few out there the company stopped assembly on the okanagans but the warranty is still good from the date of purchase. Excellent cold weather camper. I looked at arctic fox and host. I dont know what exactly your looking for but these three are all built well. my deciding factor was the price i got the okanagan for because it was a leftover. These three are also among the most expensive but I myself will spend extra on a little quality.
+Quote Post
John Sardaro
post Oct 15 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,164
Favorite Truck Camper(s): artic fox or lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F350 4x4 SRW Extended cab
Type of Tiedowns used: ? tiedowns are bolted to truck frame
Truck and Camper Setup: F350, air springs, frame mounted tie downs, Lance mod. 1150

QUOTE(mzclaus77 @ Sep 16 2010, 03:17 PM)
i would love to have advice on who manufactures the best and most reliable truck camper   unsure.gif

We had a Lance that we just traded, because we wanted a slide. Actually, we really liked the lance. Traded it for an arctic fox. Wish I had not! The quality of the arctic fox is good, We find everything on the outside, user unfriendly. Can't reach the gas bottles to turn them on or off. Had to install a three step fold out stair, just to get in the door. Asked the dealer for help with the entry steps and they didn.t even humor me with a reply. So, as I see it, don't buy an arctic fox , because the dealer (mine at least) didn't want to know me after the sale.
I like the torque lift tie downs, never had a problem with them.
Before you buy, make sure you set it on your truck, before you say that you'll take it. Then walk around it and see if you can reach everything, that needs to be reached.(including the entry door!)
John
+Quote Post
insp1505
post Oct 17 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,873
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: GMC K3500 Dually
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2010 Arctic Fox 1150DB 1996 GMC K3500 Dually Torklifts, superhitch, airbags

QUOTE(John Sardaro @ Oct 15 2010, 06:35 PM)
Had to install a three step fold out stair, just to get in the door. Asked the dealer for help with the entry steps and they didn.t even humor me with a reply. So, as I see it, don't buy an arctic fox , because the dealer (mine at least) didn't want to know me after the sale.

John

I am sorry you ran in to a poor dealer. All too often a terrible dealer can make the manufacturer look bad. Arctic Fox is a great camper and recommending that people not buy one because of your bad experience with the dealership is unfair to Arctic Fox. It would be better to recommend to people not to buy from that dealer instead. I bet they misrepresent all their product lines (not just AF) and mistreat many of their customers.

The easy solution would have been for your dealer to recommend (or throw in on the deal like mine did) an extra step that attaches to the bottom of the normal step. I carry mine just to the left of the normal step and when I need it I attach it. I have found I have only needed it when the ground slopes down at the rear of the camper making it a further reach to the door, that's when I attach it otherwise it just goes along for the ride. I will try to post some pics of it and how it is stored for those that haven't seen it.

Here are the pics of how I store my second step to the left side of the bumper.

user posted image

user posted image

I think Arctic Fox is the best camper, I have spent the last 5 months living and camping in mine, and heading into winter I am glad I will be inside an Arctic Fox.
+Quote Post
agwallace
post Nov 29 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,045
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Host
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford F250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: F 250, air bags with compressor, torklift with fastguns, super truss hitch, fully loaded Host McKinley T

We love Host! We looked at tons of different brands when we were looking for our truck camper and we just kept going back to them because of their quality. The only dealer near us was Lance, but everything about them seemed cheaply made. So even though it would have been the easy choice, we couldn't do it.
Host might be a little pricey, but the quality and features are great!
+Quote Post
rasha
post Feb 29 2016, 06:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,765
Favorite Truck Camper(s): HANFI
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: KLJDFKLJ
Type of Tiedowns used: KLFKL
Truck and Camper Setup: F-350

The only dealer near us was Lance, but everything about them seemed cheaply made. So even though it would have been the easy choice, we couldn't do it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
17 Oaks
post Mar 1 2016, 12:22 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,291
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox 1150
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '15 F 350 Dually 4x4 CC/LB King Ranch
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: '15 F350, Rancho 9000XLS, StableLoads, Hellwig Big sway bar

Wife and I looked for years at TC's before we bought. Looked at everything on the market. Key to me was a 4 season unit. It was not the cold, but the heat since we lived in Phoenix at the time and now S Tx. When its 110+ outside you want to be cool inside. That narrowed our choices. I also did not want a wooden infrastructure, again narrowing our choices.

Its us and 5 dogs which meant a slide, again, narrowing out choices.

We also need large and have a F 350 Dually to support it, again, narrowing our choices.

Since wife and I are both engineers we look beyond and below the beauty and skin. It came down to 3: Arctic Fox, Host and Eagle Cap.

In the end it was a toss up of Arctic Fox/Host. Eagle Cap has had some ownership challenges and we held back for that reason, but the units are of excellent quality.

We chose the Arctic Fox due to its internal lay out and storage space.

That was 7 years ago and would have no hesitation on buying another Arctic Fox....We almost bought a Host 3 slide last year, but were unable to find the build out of the model we wanted and did not have the time to do an order. We own a business and the high season came upon us and we had to end our search for the Host for that reason.

For a large unit F350 long bed dually and slides. Arctic Fox and Host would be our choices.
+Quote Post
Jknight611
post Mar 9 2016, 10:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,785
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar Adventurer 8.5
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2018 Chevolet 3500 Duramax Crew Duelly
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Totally stock, nothing needed

Our Northstar Adventurer 8.5 biggrin.gif makes us Happy Campers! On our 2500 with bags and Big Wig sway bar the truck drives just fine. I like the 7 feet wide profile of the camper. Roomy inside, and less wind drag. A good compromise. Excellent workmanship!
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Jun 3 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Well it all depends on what you need. IMO Northern Lights and Northstar are best, however both are very old fashion, meaning they do not use slides. Basement options are very limited as are generators. Google both builders and see what you think.
+Quote Post
twilliams
post Jun 26 2016, 10:14 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,025
Favorite Truck Camper(s): northstar larado sc
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4short bed
Type of Tiedowns used: torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 dodge ram 1500 sport 5.9 short bed 4x4. rear airbags. have a 2001 northstar 8 ft larado. with torklift tiedowns

QUOTE(redrocker @ Sep 16 2010, 05:34 PM)
I myself like the Lance I'm on my second one
my last one was 22yrs old and everything worked
when I sold it My new one is a Lance 820 2003 that
I bought used and I'm very happy with this one also
but there are so many others that are nice also
I just like the Lance because there still in business
are they are in C.A. not far from me
Hope this helps smile.gif

I had a starcraft popup tc. i thought it was built well. i moved up to a hardside northstar larado sc. very nice camper
+Quote Post
judithcarol
post Oct 3 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,203
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Mercedes-Benz
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 319
Type of Tiedowns used: Custom
Truck and Camper Setup: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 319: Custom tiedowns

I also think that Arctic Fox and Host are the best truck campers.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Oct 16 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(mzclaus77 @ Sep 16 2010, 10:17 AM)
i would love to have advice on who manufactures the best and most reliable truck camper  unsure.gif

In reality, there is no 'best' truck camper or manufacturer.

It all distills down to what your truck can haul (safely) and what your parameters are.

All manufacturers share the same sub component providers so no matter what you buy, the camper will have say a Dometic Fridge or a Suburban water heater.

Diifferent builders build different ways. Some use an aluminum frame, some wood. Some clad in aluminum sheet, some clad in fiberglass. Some offer hard sided campers, some offer soft sided campers, some offer both.

Some are stupid heavy (Lance) and some are way light (Alaskan). Some are loaded with options, some aren't.

It all boils down to what you can afford and what your intended uses are.

No such thing as an 'ideal all around camper'. My suggestion is sit down and compile you needs and wants and visit manufacturers websites and peruse the net.

Gave fun....
+Quote Post
Bill&Cin
post Apr 4 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,495
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Pastime
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
Type of Tiedowns used: Custom
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4 with air bags and Torklift stable loads Pastime 840LT

laugh.gif I like the Pastime Campers I have had two and they have held up very well, I just bought another one the pastime 840LT. I will be picking the camper up next week.
+Quote Post
Sidehillsoup
post Sep 2 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 9,729
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Transmission
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift Reciver Hitch, Torklift Tidowns and Torklift Super Truss Hitch extension.
Truck and Camper Setup: 2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath, ordered with U Shaped Dinette, No A/C, instead an extra Fantastic Fan, three MaxAir vent covers, propane / elec hot water tank, 1/4 inch propane quick-connect, with Torklift Reciver Hitch, Torklift Tidowns and Torklift Super Truss Hitch extension.

Northern Lite gets my vote.
https://www.northern-lite.com/
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Sep 3 2017, 11:47 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

My final comment is.... any camper thats paid for....
+Quote Post
mbrink
post Jan 1 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 9,913
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Artic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram 3500 CC, short bed, diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Fast Gun
Truck and Camper Setup: 2018 Dodge, 2011 811 Artic Fox, Torklift tie downs and hitch

I had a Lance 820 for 15 years. Bought new and never had any issues. Sold it to get one with more room - and generator and AC. Bought a 2 year old Artic Fox 811 which has been great.

I think the one piece "roof" of the Lance was better. I think Lance has an aluminum roof, vs AF vinyl? Neither has leaked. I like the new nose of the Lance cabover.

Like others have said, no camper is perfect for all occasions. The AF has all the bells and whistles, but is heavy and more complicated with the slide out. Also considerably heavier.

Would be nice to have the Lance for deer camp/off road traveling, and AF for all road camping.

We have been happy with both.
+Quote Post
Colorado_Kid
post Jan 27 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 9,053
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: None
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Have none yet but will be buying one within the next year.

Hallmark has a very good reputation of a well built truck camper.
+Quote Post
Xcbiker
post Jan 31 2018, 02:11 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,945
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, CC, D/A, 4x4
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift talon and fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Camper coming soon. Northern Lite 10-2 SE loaded. Debating air bags.

Ditto to sidecar's first response. If you don't need a slide and can afford it -- consider the Northern Lite. I did a lot of research and chose theirs. There are many good quality campers out there.
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:10 AM