Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Winter Truck Camper Sales?, Buying Information

Rumi
post Dec 20 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,907
Favorite Truck Camper(s): unknown
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2015 GMC 2500 SLT HD 4X4 Duramax Diesel/ Allison tranny
Type of Tiedowns used: unknown
Truck and Camper Setup: 2015 GMC 2500 SLT HD 4X4 ...looking for a truck camper for it.

Hi guys.
I'm researching to buy our first truck camper. I'm wondering if there is a best time of year to buy from dealers, and from private sellers?

I expect that personal reasons for selling will determine private sellers motivations and eliminate possibly most extra opportunities for good prices. Except maybe in the northern states where the costs and time needed for winterizing could tip the scale toward buyers?

For dealers, are there typically times for special sales in the year?

I am looking to buy a good quality used TC from either source.

Thanks for your help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 21 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(Rumi @ Dec 20 2017, 11:45 PM)
Hi guys.
I'm researching to buy our first truck camper.  I'm wondering if there is a best time of year to buy from dealers, and from private sellers?

I expect that personal reasons for selling will determine private sellers motivations and eliminate possibly most extra opportunities for good prices. Except maybe in the northern states where the costs and time needed for winterizing could tip the scale toward buyers?

For dealers, are there typically times for special sales in the year?

I am looking to buy a good quality used TC  from either source.

Thanks for your help.

Having been in the RV business on many different levels for years, the rule of thumb for buyers is to try to buy when sales are likely to be the slowest. For example, in the North buying in the winter, but before mid-February will often bring the best prices. In the South, however, winter is their busiest season so often the reverse is true. This pattern also applies to private sales.

I don't know where you are located, but regardless of area, the week between Christmas and New Years is often almost dead for dealers who are also looking to meet month end and year end sales goals at the same time.

The biggest issue working against your right now is RVs of all persuasions are simply flying out the doors and dealers know it. I always advised folks you could make any offer as long as you were respectful. Make a ridiculously low offer, behave in a rude fashion, or talk trash about the unit you are considering and you will often hear "thanks for coming in", salesperson speak for ending the conversation. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Rumi
post Dec 21 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #3

Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2015 GMC 2500 SLT HD 4X4 Duramax Diesel/ Allison tranny
Truck and Camper Setup: 2015 GMC 2500 SLT HD 4X4 ...looking for a truck camper for it.

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Dec 21 2017, 10:01 AM)
Having been in the RV business on many different levels for years, the rule of thumb for buyers is to try to buy when sales are likely to be the slowest. For example, in the North buying in the winter, but before mid-February will often bring the best prices. In the South, however, winter is their busiest season so often the reverse is true. This pattern also applies to private sales.
I don't know where you are located, but regardless of area, the week between Christmas and New Years is often almost dead for dealers who are also looking to meet month end and year end sales goals at the same time.

The biggest issue working against your right now is RVs of all persuasions are simply flying out the doors and dealers know it. I always advised folks you could make any offer as long as you were respectful. Make a ridiculously low offer, behave in a rude fashion, or talk trash about the unit you are considering  and you will often hear "thanks for coming in", salesperson speak for ending the conversation. smile.gif

Thanks for your help RV_Tech. I appreciate your sharing your experience and advice with me.
I live just south of Akron Ohio, in the northeast quadrant of Ohio.

We have a number of RV dealers around Ohio who sell new and used units.
Since I am a first-time buyer, I'm thinking of making our first purchase from a dealer. At this point my questions have created more questions than answers.
Being the detailed type that I am, I have to be an informed buyer as much as possible.

I had no idea there are so many equipment choices to make. Tie-downs, etc.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 21 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(Rumi @ Dec 21 2017, 12:16 PM)
Thanks for your help RV_Tech. I appreciate your sharing your experience and advice with me.
I live just south of Akron Ohio, in the northeast quadrant of Ohio.

We have a number of RV dealers around Ohio who sell new and used units.
Since I am a first-time buyer, I'm thinking of making our first purchase from a dealer. At this point my questions have created more questions than answers.
Being the detailed type that I am, I have to be an informed buyer as much as possible.

I had no idea there are so many equipment choices to make. Tie-downs, etc.

You are far enough north so you should be able to deal in the winter.

I actually drove up to Akron from Tennessee to buy the truck I currently tow and haul with in January last year. Buying used of course.

There is a lot to learn. I would note however that buying from a dealer is not really an essential unless you are going to pay attention to dealer ratings. Some are pretty good. With some, once the taillights are out of sight they are done with you.

The forums here and on other truck camper sites are great places to ask questions.
+Quote Post
Rumi
post Dec 22 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #5

Thank-you, I'm going to try some dealer rating searches.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 22 2017, 04:29 AM
Post #6

The one thing you may discover is that it is not uncommon for folks to drive great distances to find the truck camper they want. The market is fairly small in comparison to other types of RVs and there are few dealers that stock much in the way of truck campers.

We drove 645 miles one way to pick up the used Hallmark model we found and it was the only one in under 1,000 miles. We have talked to some folks online who drove more than twice what we did to get theirs. It just depends on what model you want.

You will quickly discover that folks who live in the West have a much larger selection than we do here in the East where truck campers are much less common. I was just browsing RV Trader and could not help but notice how many more truck campers there are now than mid-season.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Dec 22 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Keep in mind too, that end of the year is floorplan tax time for dealers and units sitting are subject to floorplan tax so they want to move them.

I don't know if buying used from a dealer is any better than buying used from an individual. So long as you know what you are looking at and can determine if it has water intrusion issues (most used units do) unless the owner has taken really good care of it and kept it inside when not in use, buying from a dealer is no advantage with a TC.

Besides, a dealer will mark up a used unit whereas an individual might be the price will be negotiable.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:23 PM