IPB
Truck Camper Parts

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> bed / deck drawers - or creating space under, how much space can you create in the bed

ovidgsd
post Dec 14 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,903
Favorite Truck Camper(s): adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: tundra 5.7 double cab 6.6 foot bed
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: adventurer 80gs with tundra 6.6 foot bed, airbags

How much space can you safely create under the camper inside the bed? For example, putting 2x4 laying flat in the bed, under the camper- that would lift the camper 1.5 inches. Say, using 4 of those 2x4 evenly spaced. Or, putting 6" high metal drawers in the bed (like JobBox), then the camper on top of those (ASSUME FOR ARGUMENT, THE DRAWERS CAN HANDLE THE WEIGHT). intuition tells me 6" "lift" like this would be acceptable, but absolutely no more than that............ my rig is a late model Tundra with 6.6 foot bed and airbags, and the camper is an Adventurer 80gs with dry weight of 1650 - center of gravity 39" matches up almost perfectly with the rear axel.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 14 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

Its very difficult to estimate the impact of raising the camper off the bed in terms of the impact on handling. Clearly you are raising the center of gravity. Do you already have a sway bar installed as my thought would be one would be essential.

The other question I have has to do with weight. Personally until you have it on a scale with everything loaded as you intend to use it, I regard anything a manufacturer says about weight often borders on fantasy.

For example, I think my Hallmark has a dry weight without options of slightly over 1800, but with our rig ready to roll with everything we take with us right up to and including our rescue cat we are a bit over 3,100 pounds. The reason I bring this up is if you are depending on the manufacturer's dry weight as a reference point for what you intend to haul when you raise the camper, I think you could be way off on your weights. Just my two cents worth there.

Anyway, I raised out Hallmark 3" using two 2x4s and could not tell it in any way affected handling even in Wyoming winds. Of course the Hallmark is a pop-up which mitigates the effect of the wind given it's lower profile.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Dec 14 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,221
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Forest River Palomino SS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Ford F350 4x4 LB SRW CC 7.3 diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: HappyJac standard
Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

Why I don't have a TC with a 'basement'.. The higher the camper is, the higher the Vertical Cg is the more it impacts handling adversely and you already have a little truck with a narrow track. If it was my outfit, I'd store stuff elsewhere.

Try it and see. You can always go back.
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Dec 14 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #4

Truck and Camper Setup: 1997 Ford F350 4 door 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Diesel, Lance 915 loaded, 2015 Palomino SS1500 Loaded

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Dec 14 2017, 01:18 PM)
Its very difficult to estimate the impact of raising the camper off the bed in terms of the impact on handling. Clearly you are raising the center of gravity. Do you already have a sway bar installed as my thought would be one would be essential.

The other question I have has to do with weight. Personally until you have it on a scale with everything loaded as you intend to use it, I regard anything a manufacturer says about weight often borders on fantasy.

For example, I think my Hallmark has a dry weight without options of slightly over 1800, but with our rig ready to roll with everything we take with us right up to and including our rescue cat we are a bit over 3,100 pounds. The reason I bring this up is if you are depending on the manufacturer's dry weight as a reference point for what you intend to haul when you raise the camper, I think you could be way off on your weights. Just my two cents worth there.

Anyway, I raised out Hallmark 3" using two 2x4s and could not tell it in any way affected handling even in Wyoming winds. Of course the Hallmark is a pop-up which mitigates the effect of the wind given it's lower profile.

You weigh more than I do. My advertised fantasy weight dry is 1980 and my actual dry (propane and water) is 2300. Loaded up (no rescue cat), I'm just at 3000.
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 15 2017, 05:45 AM
Post #5

Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

QUOTE(SidecarFlip @ Dec 14 2017, 06:08 PM)
You weigh more than I do.  My advertised fantasy weight dry is 1980 and my actual dry (propane and water) is 2300.  Loaded up (no rescue cat), I'm just at 3000.

Yeah, but I got one heavy cat!!
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Dec 16 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #6

I've never allowed any pets in the TC, the last one (Lance) or this one. Pet hair is bad enough in the houise, let alone in a camper...and we have some heavy cats too. A couple 18 pound whales...
+Quote Post
RV_Tech
post Dec 16 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #7

We were driving back from Arkansas with the truck camper on the truck for the first time. Started down onto a highway ramp just outside of Nashville and there was a tiny kitten lying in the roadway. Only about three months old. Blocked the ramp and got the kitten figuring it must be divine intervention or something.

She now weighs six pounds. My wife and I rescue dogs and cats and always have at least one. She loves going back and forth between the truck camper and the truck through the front camper window. smile.gif
+Quote Post
SidecarFlip
post Dec 16 2017, 09:45 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(RV_Tech @ Dec 16 2017, 12:01 PM)
We were driving back from Arkansas with the truck camper on the truck for the first time. Started down onto a highway ramp just outside of Nashville and there was a tiny kitten lying in the roadway. Only about three months old. Blocked the ramp and got the kitten figuring it must be divine intervention or something.

She now weighs six pounds. My wife and I rescue dogs and cats and always have at least one. She loves going back and forth between the truck camper and the truck through the front camper window.  smile.gif

Thats cool. My wife and I are the same. All of our dogs (3) and cats (about 25) are all cast off's and strays. We have a sign out front that no human can read that says in cat and dog language....

All 4 legged furry animals welcome here....

2 of the dogs live in the house with us and oh, about 8 of the 25 cats too. Cats and dogs get along well with each other despite the old wive's tale about 'fighting like cats and dogs'. They all sleep with each other.

Just never let any in either camper or the truck unless it's a trip to the vet. We have 2 18 pounders in the house, all black, both neutered males and both very affectionate. An 18 pound Tom is a big feline.

I don't believe in 30 years we have had less than 2 dogs and less than 10 cats at a time. We also have horses and cattle too. I farm so it's just natural I guess.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:14 AM