RV_Tech
post Mar 4 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,199
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Hallmark, Northstar, Outfitter
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350 SRW 6.2 Supercab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijack front, Torklift rear
Truck and Camper Setup: Hallmark Ute XL No modes to truck Torklift Fast Guns Fast guns had to be cut down to absolute minimum (14 1/2") to use with Happijac front tie down and Hallmark camper.

Can someone give me the short version of camping on BLM land. Here in Tennessee it is a non-issue, but starting this summer we will be wandering for months and do everything we can to avoid commercial campgrounds.

We are having a hard time figuring out how this works. It looks like no reservations, so do you just go there and if you do is there someone in each campground who manages reservations?

Any light you are able to cast on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Freespool
post Mar 13 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,975
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Still deciding
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2016 GMC3500dualyy4x4diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift with Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: The plan will utilize a 3500 GMC with a 11 or 12' TC with a full compliment of Torklift hitch components and tie downs. Stable loads if needed will be installed.

Steve, have fun during your travels this summer. The desert here in CA is mostly all BLM controlled. When I rode motorcycles the entire desert was open to all. Through the years it has been my experience that most places are clearly marked.

Take a look at Ralph's article currently featured on the Truck Camper Magazine web site. Ralph has chosen his favorite 25 sites where he enjoys boon docking, most are located on the west side of the country.

Wish I could provide more specificity. These days I normally don't boon dock, campgrounds serve my needs and provide me with a little more access and security
+Quote Post
Backroad Joe
post Mar 18 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,425
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2011 Palomino Bronco B800
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QuadCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijacs in front, plain 'ol hardware store turnbuckles in rear
Truck and Camper Setup: A perfect combination for boondocking, overlanding or towing my jeep.

I generally don't associate BLM land with campgrounds. Although there are some I really avoid all campgrounds. On BLM land you can boondock most anywhere, simply pull off the road at a nice spot and camp. The same applies in National Forests with a few restrictions. BLM does have several LTVA's (Long Term Visitor Areas) in the Cslifornia/Arizona border zone. For a nominal fee you can have some amenities, but you also get thousands of snowbirds as neighbors.

To answer your specific question about campgrounds if there is any fee there would be some envelopes available and a strong box to deposit it into.

There is plenty of open space here in the Far West & Southwest and you'll have no problem figuring out where to stay and even less problem enjoying it.
+Quote Post
Nobody
post Mar 19 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,339
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Palomino
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: '99 Ford F-250 SuperCab long bed, 7.3L Power Stroke
Type of Tiedowns used: Blackstone Mfg Co Camper Clampers, looking for TorkLift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2003 SunLite 8.5 WTSB, modified roof lift to support roof air

I dunno anymore but in June 2007 we camped on BLM land near Sand Draw, WY for more'n a week. No amenities whatever 'cept the open land. We'd been on a forum & a member had decided to 'host' a small gathering of like-minded rifle afficionados near his 'old home place' at Sand Draw. We drove all the way from central Arkansas towing our little teardrop trailer that I'd build in 2006. The pic shows our camp set-up including the 'pop-up' hunting blind that we used for my wife's porta potti. We spent a week there with friends, prowling the area, shooting targets, exploring the old Bell Coal mine near our campsite, & a couple of miner community remnants. Nearest town was Riverton, WY, approx 20 miles away. We visited there for ice, supplies, & water if needed... Beautiful area but sorta desolate & definitely remote. Windy too.

user posted image

Powder Magazine at the old Bell Coal Mine (Circa early 20th Century)
user posted image

All that's left of the coal 'dump' for the rail cars at the old Bell Coal Mine
user posted image
+Quote Post
bryans71 coachman
post Oct 6 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,815
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Coachman
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 79 f250 camper special 2wd
Type of Tiedowns used: Chain and turn buckel
Truck and Camper Setup: 79 f250 camper special (stock) 2wd. 71 Coachman 11.6'. Cab over camper chain and turnbuckel tie down

I'm out west. Blm land is open to free camping. Some areas have time restrictions some fo not. Like you I camp for free when ever possible. Both on Blm and forest service land. Both have plenty of disperesed camping. I mainly camp and travel in Utah, Nevada, Arizona and Idaho. Many free camps. Free campsites.net is a good resource. As Blm and forest service web sites or offices. There always happy to help. Been full timing and free camping starting 2005. Enjoy!!!!

--------------------
Bryan Davis
71 Coachman 11.6'
79 F250 Camper Special
Chain and turnbuckel tie downs
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:22 PM