LDHunter
post Jun 12 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,981
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2006 F350 6.0 Lariat King 8'
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: Looking for a camper right now.

I've camped many times in the national forests in Florida and it's almost always free if you stay out of the campgrounds with utilities or hosts.

You don't really even have to camp in the campgrounds unless it's deer hunting season and even then there are some free places if you don't mind being around a bunch of barking dogs and hunters drinking beer. LOL

Most of the year you have the forest all to yourselves and there are some great places to camp with rivers, lakes, ponds, creeks and the roads are usually passable for any truck camper as long as you watch out for sugar sand or washouts.

I've always had 4wd trucks and have either pulled small travel trailers or had slide in campers.

I have always assumed that camping in national forest nationwide was the same and when I lived in Woodland Park Colorado I camped a fair amount with my motorcycles and my bronco with a travel trailer and never even once paid to camp.

I guess I've always taken free camping for granted but usually my trips would be from home to a known (to me) camping place and back home. I guess it would be a lot different on the road to somewhere else far far away...

I think you can also camp almost anywhere on BLM land as well too right?

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
arch7
post Sep 22 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,779
Favorite Truck Camper(s): NuWa
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1993 F350 crew 7.5
Type of Tiedowns used: tow straps / HD straps
Truck and Camper Setup: 1980's 11' NuWay on 93 F350 7.5 crew cab long bed. all stock

yep i believe that to be true. camped free on BLM land a lot off forest service roads where many others can't get to
+Quote Post
danny500
post Sep 24 2014, 06:25 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,781
Favorite Truck Camper(s): suzuki 200
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: millat
Type of Tiedowns used: millat
Truck and Camper Setup: Happijac Tiedowns

i also believe that is true !!
+Quote Post
Joemcg
post Aug 9 2015, 09:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,397
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350 drw crew cab (1991)
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: F350, happijacs, air bags, Rancho shocks, Reese tow beast class V

There are some restrictions, but it's generally true.

An example would be Sequoia National Forest. Dispersed camping is permitted except if you are in a designated recreation area. Then you must be in a campground. It makes sense because those recreation areas are in heavily used areas and you probably wouldn't want boondock there anyway. Those areas are clearly marked.

--------------------
1995 Lance 880
1991 F350 CC Dually
Also Pacific Coachworks 276RBS TT
+Quote Post
AraWithSpirit
post Jan 18 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,371
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northern Lite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F350 7.2 Turbo diesel 4x4 Ford 4 doors Long bed
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 2013 Northern Lite 9.8 Q SE AnchorGuard tie downs 2000 Ford f350 7.2 Turbo diesel 4x4 4 door Long bed Rear Camper package Rear air bags Progressive lockers Honda 2000 Genset 120W soft 12V 4lb panels 1 140amp/h sealed deep cycle battery . 1995 BMW GS with Ural Sidecar.

We have been [my dog and I] camping on National Forest and BLM lands for free now for about ten years. Generally 14 days is the limit which is fine with me as by then it is time to move on. We are full timers and did seven years with motorcycle/sidecar/tent, the past three years mixing it up with a 9.6 Northern Lite/F350 7.2 4x4. Some aspects have changed. BLM is now setting up quite a few campgrounds with no facilities besides a bathroom and sometimes water for around $15 a night, half price for us since I am over 65. It is the result of campers leaving their garbage behind and on and on... we are paying the price! Another big change has been the influx of homeless, drug addicts and thieves. I use to trailer the motorcycle/sidecar with the camper. Leave the camper behind for the day and go riding. No more... I just don't feel safe leaving the camper behind anymore even for the day. So it is one or the other while we store either one on some Friend's land. Kind of a sad situation but it is what it is...
Hope this helps.
Stay well
Ara and Spirit

--------------------
Stay well, Ara and Spirit
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
+Quote Post
ecocampor
post Mar 8 2023, 02:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,248
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ecocampor
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ecocampor
Type of Tiedowns used: truck camper
Truck and Camper Setup: tuck camper

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:19 AM