Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,319
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Northstar
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ram
Type of Tiedowns used: None
Truck and Camper Setup: None

Hello everyone,
I would love to hear the forum opinion regarding a truck camper I Would really like to purchase for my 1/2 ton. The truck is a brand new 2016 ram 1500 quad cab with a 6'4" bed. According to the door jam sticker it has a payload of 1680 pounds. The truck came from the factory with coil springs in the rear. I will be adding timbrens to the truck (like airbags) to help prevent crushing springs. Timbrens are basically giant flexible bump stops rated up to 8000 pounds. Factory tires have a max rating of 2500 pounds on sidewall. The slide in camper I am considering is a 1995 jayco sportster 9.5' pop up. The dry weight is 1640 pounds. The center of gravity will sit close to a foot behind rear axle. With tailgate down the camper will have a 1.5' overhang past tailgate. Is this a recipe for disaster or will this setup work. I understand that I cannot increase payload rating of the vehicle with suspension changes. I am looking for responses from those that have experience with similar setups.

Thank you in advance for your responses,
Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cully68
post Sep 4 2017, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,737
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-350
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: Adventurer 80GS

Hi Chris,

This is my first post on this site, just joined. I had a 2015 F-150 short bed, matched the specs for the Adventurer 80GS camper (F-150 payload 1,700 lbs, dry camper 1,700 lbs). I put it on and it scared the heck out of me. Was about to add timrens & leaf springs to the F-150, paid a visit to Ford, traded it in for an F-350 (amazing what I got in trade for my 2015 truck), got SRW 6.2L Gas. Now, I have 4,400 lbs payload, can load anything I want in the cab & camper without fear. Also, the F-350 has 6 3/4 bed vs, 5 1/2 on the F-150 (went with super cab instead of super crew so it would fit in my garage), now the CG is smack on the rear axle.

I find it strange that the manufacturer seems to have no issue advertising campers that fit on a short bed 1/2 ton truck, when, to me, it sure didn't seem right. In fact the CG was at the back of the rear wheelwell.

Anyways, I feel confident now, maybe I went over-kill, but having just been on 60 degree incline one lane dirt roads with the camper and drove 800 miles across Vermont mountains without worries, I think I made the right choice.
+Quote Post
ecocampor
post Mar 8 2023, 02:56 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,248
Favorite Truck Camper(s): ecocampor
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: ecocampor
Type of Tiedowns used: truck camper
Truck and Camper Setup: tuck camper

how about this truck camper

https://www.ecocampor.com/off-road-caravan/...d-truck-camper/

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:32 AM