post Sep 25 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,403
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Fleetwood
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2008 Ford f-250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: F250, air bags,

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone with a lifted 08' F250 is using it with a truck camper? I was planning on getting a 4.5-6 in lift for my truck, but was able to get a great deal on the camper, and now I wonder if getting the lift is out due to the truck being too high(higher center of gravity). Any pics would be great, as well as experiences, cautions, considerations. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Sep 25 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #2

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

QUOTE(Kpalas @ Sep 25 2009, 10:14 AM)
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone with a lifted 08' F250 is using it with a truck camper? I was planning on getting a 4.5-6 in lift for my truck, but was able to get a great deal on the camper, and now I wonder if getting the lift is out due to the truck being too high(higher center of gravity). Any pics would be great, as well as experiences, cautions, considerations. Thanks!

I answered this in another thread. depends on weight. Center of gravity and so on. Most generally you will not see any lift support complete all equiped gen ready campers. It would be a problem too with off road tires. Larger wider means less tire rating weight capacity. Sadly other than very specialized expensive units you will not find a reasonably priced off-road capable camper unit with full homelike amenities. As I am a Lance owner, I have already taken my camper into places I should not of, this resulted in two bed bolt-down points to completely break into while a third cracked seriously. I came home that weekend with only one bed bolt attachment holding the whole camper on!

I have since learned my lesson and am very careful how far I decide to twist and flex my unit under varying off-pavement road conditions. It is truly a costly misfortune.

Consider a CJ-5 as your off-road recon car. It pulls very nicely behind your rig and allows for barrels of fun when you reach your favorite exploration area.

But then this is only my opinion.

Other's my have a more informed opinion than I.

I see that brownies daddy has a 9 inch pro-comp lift. I would hope that he could throw his two cents worth in here. I would be interested in how stable the unit is in off-camber situations. Cornering would be another safety concern.

<<*
+Quote Post
Kpalas
post Sep 25 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,403
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Fleetwood
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2008 Ford f-250
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: F250, air bags,

QUOTE(garbinator @ Sep 25 2009, 01:01 PM)
I answered this in another thread. depends on weight. Center of gravity and so on. Most generally you will not see any lift support complete all equiped gen ready campers. It would be a problem too with off road tires. Larger wider means less tire rating weight capacity. Sadly other than very specialized expensive units you will not find a reasonably priced off-road capable camper unit with full homelike amenities. As I am a Lance owner, I have already taken my camper into places I should not of, this resulted in two bed bolt-down points to completely break into while a third cracked seriously. I came home that weekend with only one bed bolt attachment holding the whole camper on!

I have since learned my lesson and am very careful how far I decide to twist and flex my unit under varying off-pavement road conditions. It is truly a costly misfortune. 

Consider a CJ-5 as your off-road recon car. It pulls very nicely behind your rig and allows for barrels of fun when you reach your favorite exploration area.

But then this is only my opinion.

Other's my have a more informed opinion than I.

I see that brownies daddy has a 9 inch pro-comp lift. I would hope that he could throw his two cents worth in here. I would be interested in how stable the unit is in off-camber situations. Cornering would be another safety concern.
<<*

Thanks for the response! I guess I should have been more specific in my question. I won't be taking the truck/camper combo off road, I'm mainly concerned with on highway stability and handling.
+Quote Post
Zzyzxx
post Sep 30 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,379
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250HD 4X4 SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: 1994 Ford F-250HD 4X4 SuperCab, 460 gas engine w/5-spd. Air Lift springs on all four corners, full Banks exhaust system, Transfer Flow tanks, etc. Camper is 1995 Lance 4000.

One thing you might want to be aware of is the load capacity of the lift springs. On an F-250 the truck is rated for "X" pounds of payload and that is a function of the springs installed at the factory. You replace those factory load-rated springs with springs that are only meant to lift a truck, and you may end up with a seriously degraded load carrying capacity. Consider that a slide-in camper, after fully loading it with water, propane and supplies might push 2,500 to 3,000 pounds.

Lift springs don't necessarily mean that you retain the original load carrying capacity.

Joe
+Quote Post
jimd1050
post Oct 11 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,132
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: F-250 4X4 Ford Extended Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac
Truck and Camper Setup: Still getting done - deposit on 2002 Lance 845, appointment to install Happijac system and wiring - beach sticker already onboard.

QUOTE(Zzyzxx @ Sep 30 2009, 05:33 PM)
One thing you might want to be aware of is the load capacity of the lift springs.  On an F-250 the truck is rated for "X" pounds of payload and that is a function of the springs installed at the factory.  You replace those factory load-rated springs with springs that are only meant to lift a truck, and you may end up with a seriously degraded load carrying capacity.  Consider that a slide-in camper, after fully loading it with water, propane and supplies might push 2,500 to 3,000 pounds.

Lift springs don't necessarily mean that you retain the original load carrying capacity.

Joe

First. my entire plan was to go offroad and that influenced my decision. I have an '08 Super Duty and a Lance 845 Camper but decided on "No Lift"! I strictly do beach camping and the way the truck sways driving in the ruts on the beach, I figured I'd end up on my roof if I lifted it. I added Airlift Air Bags and a large Hellwig rear sway bar and the truck handles awesome, both with and without the camper on. I really like the look of a lifted truck but am more than happy with the way it turned out with just wheels, tires and the Bushwhacker flares. You're probably safer even on road leaving it stock height - if you must, go with a 2" leveling kit or no more than 4" of lift! Again, just opinion...

user posted image

--------------------
Regards... Jim D

'08 F250XLT Super Duty 4X4 - 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel
Twin Turbo - SCT Tuned by Innovative Diesel
Suspension/Drivetrain by WC Motorsports

http://www.justtruckin.net/pages/mytruck.html
+Quote Post
Yoda light
post Dec 2 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,553
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD LB crew cab 4X4
Type of Tiedowns used: happijac w/ fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Ford Superduty air bags 4" lift 35" toyo 7.3 PSD, Class V Hitch, 04 Lance Lite 1025

QUOTE(Kpalas @ Sep 25 2009, 10:14 AM)

I have a 02 F250 crewcab LB with a 4" lift and 35" tires with a 04 Lance Lite 1025. The truck is a little top heavy at times. You're going to have to drive carefully. One problem you may encounter is that the jacks will not be able to jack the camper high enough to clear the bed without adding blocks below the jacks. I bought my Lance from a guy that had the same lift as I did and he mounted round 4" extentions to the bottom of the jacks. Looks like it came from the factory. I have the stock sway bars on the truck and was thinking about after market(bigger diameter) sway bars front and back. The Toyo tires also has an E weight rating to cope with the weight of the camper. Hope this might help you decide.[attachmentid=73]
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:58 AM