NH2AKGrl06
post Jul 18 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,541
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Arctic Fox
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2010 F250 Crewcab V10 short box
Type of Tiedowns used: None yet
Truck and Camper Setup: No Set up as of yet WOULD <3 AF 992 but ?

Probably not to many Girls on here but I'm looking at getting a 2012 Arctic Fox 811 possibly a 992 if I can. I do have already a 2010 F250 Crew Cab Short box.

Question is if 1) Dry Weight of AF is 2,873 (811)
2) The sticker on my door panel of truck says 2,477 Max load/ capacity
3) GVRW says 9,900 lbs (other sticker on door panel)
I'm confused I guess with the total weight of camper wet, passengers etc how to figure out what I'm aloud after all said and done. Oh and airbags and such that will need to be installed.

I'm pissed because I was originally told this truck would work so I bought it and didn't do more research first.. My mistake mad.gif

thanks for your help cool.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kerry4951
post Jul 18 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,121
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually Crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/ Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually w/ Arctic Fox 1140 DB Torklift tie downs w/ Fastguns Supersprings, Air bags, Helwig sway bar, Bilstein shocks, Torklift stable loads, Front timbrens

You better do some more research. Your truck is really not suitable for hauling any AF TC, definitely not a 992. They are heavy campers, and require atleast a 350/3500 truck, and most guys use a dually PU to haul AF TC's. AF dry weights are somewhat deceiving. They do not show the "Value Pack" options which all their campers come thru with, and thats another almost 600 lbs of dry weight. Thats not including the other options like AC and generator. I can assure you a wet 811 with a few options will be close to 4000 lbs. The 811 can be hauled on a short bed truck since they do make the 811S. No way can you haul a 992 which is made for the long bed trucks. The CG (center of gravity) will kill your truck. Sorry to give you such crappy info, but its the truth.
+Quote Post
NH2AKGrl06
post Jul 18 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,541
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2010 F250 Crewcab V10 short box
Type of Tiedowns used: None yet
Truck and Camper Setup: No Set up as of yet WOULD <3 AF 992 but ?

QUOTE(kerry4951 @ Jul 18 2011, 10:32 AM)
You better do some more research.  Your truck is really not suitable for hauling any AF TC, definitely not a 992. They are heavy campers, and require atleast a 350/3500 truck, and most guys use a dually PU to haul AF TC's. AF dry weights are somewhat deceiving. They do not show the "Value Pack" options which all their campers come thru with, and thats another almost 600 lbs of dry weight. Thats not including the other options like AC and generator.  I can assure you a wet 811 with a few options will be close to 4000 lbs.  The 811 can be hauled on a short bed truck since they do make the 811S.  No way can you haul a 992 which is made for the long bed trucks. The CG (center of gravity) will kill your truck.  Sorry to give you such crappy info, but its the truth.

Thanks for your reply:)

Well I had a gut feeling when the truck dealership was pushing for this particular truck and then the gentleman at the camper dealership said I would be a little over but should be fine. My gut didn't feel right but I got the truck anyways and now I'm stuck with this truck with no truck camper mad.gif It's also probably to soon to trade and not lose my a$$ on the truck. Oh well live and learn I guess!
Thanks again
+Quote Post
kerry4951
post Jul 18 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,121
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually Crew cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift w/ Fastguns
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy Silverado 3500 dually w/ Arctic Fox 1140 DB Torklift tie downs w/ Fastguns Supersprings, Air bags, Helwig sway bar, Bilstein shocks, Torklift stable loads, Front timbrens

The problem is NONE of the truck/car dealers know anything about TC's, especially the higher weights in alot of the newer units that are being built today. All they remember is back when grandpa had that little aluminum shell with a porta poty, that weighed 1500 lbs. If you mentioned "truck camper" to most of them, they think you are talking about a TT or 5th wheel, (or maybe even one of those truck caps that cover the beds), and any 250/2500 truck can handle a decent TT or 5th wheel.
And the problem with alot of the TC dealers is they dont want to loose the sale, so they will tell you that you can haul it on a 150 just to make the sale.
Best thing is to get on some active truck camper forums and learn what you can on your own from people who know.
+Quote Post
Spanky
post Jul 19 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 144
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 1030
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually SuperCab
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 1999 Ford F350 4x4 Super Cab 1 ton Dually Lance 1030 Torklift tiedowns

rolleyes.gif No reason to be "stuck" with the truck...just get a lighter camper and enjoy...

--------------------
1999 F350 Power Stroke Dually Super Cab, 2003 Lance 1030
+Quote Post
Electric Don
post Jul 19 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,297
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance 805
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crew Cab
Type of Tiedowns used: Basic turnbuckles
Truck and Camper Setup: Camper is 8 feet, designed for short box truck.

You have a good truck for carrying a camper, but you have to go with one that is light and also designed for a short box camper. I have a 2011 F250 crew cab 4X4 and it has a similar capacity to yours. I bought a 2009 Lance 805, 8 feet long, 86 inches wide (narrower than most TC's). (This model is no longer made). It has no shower, toilet or holding tanks and has a dry weight of about 1500 pounds. It is basic, but we love it. We haven't added any extra air bags or springs and it handles the camper no problem. You could look at other Lance campers designed for short box trucks (look at the Lance website for details). Another option is to look at Northern Lite campers. There are some models that would be OK on your truck.

The best advice is to avoid going over the GVWR. You could risk being charged if you were in an accident and were overweight; also, your insurance company might void your insurance.

Remember to add the weight of fuel, passengers, water, food, gear, etc when you are calculating the total weight of the vehicle and camper.
+Quote Post
climberrn
post Aug 3 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,562
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2007 Arctic Fox 811
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 F250, Crew Cab, 4X4, Diesel, Short Bed
Type of Tiedowns used: TorkLift with FastGuns
Truck and Camper Setup: AirBags, Vision 19.5's, Bridgestone tires, Super Spring bump stops, Sway Away RaceRunner 2.5" off road shocks, SuperHitch, 2 Gauge power cables to camper with auto battery isolator. Many mods to the camper.

QUOTE(NH2AKGrl06 @ Jul 18 2011, 01:06 AM)
Probably not to many Girls on here but I'm looking at getting a 2012 Arctic Fox 811 possibly a 992 if I can. I do have already a 2010 F250 Crew Cab Short box.

Question is if 1) Dry Weight of AF is 2,873 (811)
                    2) The sticker on my door panel of truck says 2,477 Max load/ capacity
                   3) GVRW says 9,900 lbs (other sticker on door panel)
I'm confused I guess with the total weight of camper wet, passengers etc how to figure out what I'm aloud after all said and done. Oh and airbags and such that will need to be installed.

I'm pissed because I was originally told this truck would work so I bought it and didn't do more research first.. My mistake mad.gif
thanks for your help  cool.gif

I have a truck in the same situation as you. The truck weighs 8,100 with passengers and fuel, and the door sticker says it has a GVW of 10,000. Without going into the legal reasons, I can say it hauls an Arctic Fox 811 just fine. I have weighed the combined rig multiple times loaded for travel (Propane and fresh water), and the combined weight has always been 13,000 and 13,500. I would not consider it without the modifications to the truck. My truck is rated for a combined weight (trailer, not hauling) of 22,500, so I am not overloading the engine and transmission. It is just not meant to carry that much weight.

The rig has been up and down the West coast multiple times, crossed every pass in the Sierra Nevada's many times, Sawtooth mountain range, to the east coast 3 times (round trip), across southern Canada from Vermont to Washington. These trips have been in all 4 seasons. Snow, Crosswinds, dirt roads, and just about every condition you can think of. 35,000 miles with the camper on it. 6,000 miles pulling a trailer for a combined weight of 17,500 (before I had the 19.5"s, would not advise it).

There are several things that the miles take their toll on, but I can say that with truck set up properly, it drives great. It still surprises me how good it drives.

The mods were done over the first 2 years, so I can tell you the difference each of the upgrades made.

Questions?
+Quote Post
aqualung
post Aug 4 2011, 07:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,725
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Adventurer 90FWS
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Dodge 3500 Dually Quadcab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Type of Tiedowns used: Torklift
Truck and Camper Setup: 2008 Adventurer 90FWS Torklift Tiedowns with SuperHitch and SuperTruss Firestone Air Bags Torklift Load Stabilizers Fastgun Turnbuckles

Check out the Six-Pac lightweight campers. They have a few models that may work for you.

http://www.six-pac.com/campers.htm
+Quote Post
garbinator
post Aug 6 2011, 02:55 AM
Post #9

Productive Consumer

Member No.: 2,832
Favorite Truck Camper(s): Lance
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 3500 GMC Dually 4X4 Crew Cab DuraMax w/6sp variable Allison
Type of Tiedowns used: Happijac, Altec power jacks
Truck and Camper Setup: Lance Legend 990 fully loaded series, Electric Jacks, Air Bags, heavy duty torsion bar, Titan extend-a-hitch, .357 Mag Marlin Lever Action (Cowboy rifle) for camper defense. Bose Acoustic Wave Machine to Ez the nights away...

The JOB of a salesmen is to move product, period. Everyone of these people jump from RV's to vehicles all the time. Management seriously pushes its in-stock products as they get factory incentives for moving within a certain time frame.

Forget ethics. Competition is tough, and so is the economy. sad.gif

<<<
+Quote Post
connoroh75
post Sep 18 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,625
Favorite Truck Camper(s): unknown
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2010 F-350 CC/8bed SRW 5.4L
Type of Tiedowns used: unknown
Truck and Camper Setup: shopping for camper

QUOTE(climberrn @ Aug 3 2011, 03:55 PM)
I have a truck in the same situation as you. The truck weighs 8,100 with passengers and fuel, and the door sticker says it has a GVW of 10,000. Without going into the legal reasons, I can say it hauls an Arctic Fox 811 just fine. I have weighed the combined rig multiple times loaded for travel (Propane and fresh water), and the combined weight has always been 13,000 and 13,500. I would not consider it without the modifications to the truck. My truck is rated for a combined weight (trailer, not hauling) of 22,500, so I am not overloading the engine and transmission. It is just not meant to carry that much weight.

The rig has been up and down the West coast multiple times, crossed every pass in the Sierra Nevada's many times, Sawtooth mountain range, to the east coast 3 times (round trip), across southern Canada from Vermont to Washington. These trips have been in all 4 seasons. Snow, Crosswinds, dirt roads, and just about every condition you can think of. 35,000 miles with the camper on it. 6,000 miles pulling a trailer for a combined weight of 17,500 (before I had the 19.5"s, would not advise it).

There are several things that the miles take their toll on, but I can say that with truck set up properly, it drives great. It still surprises me how good it drives.

The mods were done over the first 2 years, so I can tell you the difference each of the upgrades made.

Questions?

I'm currently looking at Vision 81s (Rickson takes too long & is too expensive), Super Springs, and Ranchos. From what you wrote, above, I take it that the Vision81s were well worth it? Les Schwab, or ebay?
+Quote Post
climberrn
post Sep 19 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,562
Favorite Truck Camper(s): 2007 Arctic Fox 811
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 2005 F250, Crew Cab, 4X4, Diesel, Short Bed
Type of Tiedowns used: TorkLift with FastGuns
Truck and Camper Setup: AirBags, Vision 19.5's, Bridgestone tires, Super Spring bump stops, Sway Away RaceRunner 2.5" off road shocks, SuperHitch, 2 Gauge power cables to camper with auto battery isolator. Many mods to the camper.

QUOTE(connoroh75 @ Sep 18 2011, 11:58 AM)
I'm currently looking at Vision 81s (Rickson takes too long & is too expensive), Super Springs, and Ranchos. From what you wrote, above, I take it that the Vision81s were well worth it? Les Schwab, or ebay?

I got my Vision wheels from Les Schwab, and they are well worth the money. They should work with you on the price. I got them down to the same price as Rickson on the tires, about $100 per tire off. Had them get the "sand" that Rickson uses for balancing, and have not had any balance issues. Always smooth. Did not like way the center caps looked, so saved another $180 also.

As for the Rancho shocks. I would save your money. My truck had them, and I switched to some big shocks, Sway Away 2.5, remote resivor. HUGE difference! Ran the Sway Away's for 3 years, and 25K miles. Had them off to revalve and powder coat them, and ended up taking the camper out of town for a job before I could get the Sway Away's back on, (Ranchos were reinstalled temporarily). My wife even complained about the ride, and neither of us liked the ride or rocking. $1500 is a ton of money to spend on shocks, but most of our miles is with the camper on, and it is worth it to me.

A friend has Fox 2" shocks on the rear only. It is good "all around", and less money. There is a guy that can give you some information, really helpful. Brian at Off Road Engineering, out of Southern California. I have no affiliation with him. Just a real helpful guy, that sells all the major brands, and will tell you straight.
+Quote Post
elkhornsun
post Dec 2 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,741
Favorite Truck Camper(s): no favorite
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: Chevy 2500HD SRW Diesel
Type of Tiedowns used: undecided
Truck and Camper Setup: Chevy 2011 2500HD diesel with short bed. Plan to add Supersprings and air bags and Big Wig anti sway bar.

I do not know specifically about the 2010 F-250 vs. F-350 trucks, but for the 2011 Chevy 2500 vs. 3500 trucks the only difference is the extra set of two leaf springs on the 3500HD model. Otherwise the two trucks share the same drive train, same brakes, same front suspension including oversize sway bar, same axles. The 1 ton has the option of adding dualies.

I wanted a short bed with an extended cab (Ford's Supercab) and diesel and did not want the dualie setup with the extra width, longer wheelbase, and greater turning radius. My only option was to buy the 3/4 ton 2500HD truck and then add the two leaf springs myself (SuperSprings SSA13 to be exact) to add 3000# load capability or can use the SSA16 single leaf version to add 1500# to the current springs capacity of 2800#.
+Quote Post
drc5900
post Dec 19 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,241
Favorite Truck Camper(s): The one I have of course: Jayco!
Type and Brand of Truck(s) Owned: 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9L 12v Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually Extended Cab, Billeted Goerend AT Tranny w/triple disk TC & manual lockup.
Type of Tiedowns used: The ones it came with: homemade.
Truck and Camper Setup: Truck as above. Camper: 1993 Jayco Jay Hunter 950 fully equiped, approx. 3000Lbs loaded. Homemade tiedowns. 5000Lbs Mopar receiver hitch. Homemade 3' extended hitch. Homemade Jackadapters for dually: 1/4"SS 6"x6"x6" square tube. "Donut" between reartruck- and camper slider window. No Airbags: the camper nicely smoothed out the hard suspension :-) . Hott-Rod electric heater added to propane waterheater.

I agree with Spanky: "No reason to be "stuck" with the truck... just get a lighter camper and enjoy!

Browse the web:
E.g.:

Six-Pack D650 1895 Lbs Dry Weight.
http://www.six-pac.com/camper_d650.htm
http://www.six-pac.com/d650pictures.htm

Northern-Lite Lite Series 1725 Lbs Dry Weight.
http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite.html
http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite_85.html

Lance 825 1730 Lbs dry weight:
http://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/825/
http://www.lancecamperrvsource.com/rvinven...m.asp?id=917213

Travel-Lite Campers:
http://travel-lite.fyrian.com/models/840sbr/840sbr.htm
http://travel-lite.fyrian.com/models/890Rs.../890Rseries.htm

These come with shower & toilet, and all aminities I'd ever want! I am sure there are more campers out there that'll be a good fit for your truck.

Browse www.truckcampermagazine.com , some good info there.

Alaskan Campers would be in your weight range too:
http://www.alaskancamper.com/interior.htm
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RipObrPujvE...layer_embedded#!

Good Luck & Happy Camping!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:12 AM